I'm a brand new BB user (becoming an abuser), leaving behind my nine years of Palm loyalty. So far no regrets.

I noticed when I bought my BB 8310 (AT&T) that RIM says it has the capacity to be tethered to my computer (laptop) as a modem.

Does anyone know how to do it? I haven't found the info on how to do it? Any help?
    02-16-08 08:41 AM
    It costs extra to do this through AT$T. Even though the instructions are out there, if you set it up it won't workmore than likely as AT$T has the ability to block this on their end if you don't have the service add on (athough some have been able to get it to work as their accounts were set up differently, but then they got huge charges, one guy got $450 charge for data charges while tethering as it is against the TOS without the add on).
    02-16-08 09:05 AM
    Thanks sqeakr. So I need to contact AT$T directly to find out? Do you know where the "instructions" that "are out there" are located? Any quick ideas on how much the service costs? If I find out more from AT$T, I'll post it here.
    02-16-08 10:13 AM
    They are probably on this site somewhere, but I know they are over on pinstack.com, another site I frequent quite a bit as well as blackberryforums.com. As for the charge itr is about $59 i believe for the BB data and tethering as opposed to the $29 for BB data only (T-Mo allows it in for free in the $19.99 plan, although that doesn't help you any). If you purchase the plan through AT$T they should support it and help you get it setup correctly. Sorry I can't be of much else help wise in this case. If I find the link, I will post it, but in the meantime hopefully someone else with the info will chime in.
    02-16-08 10:57 AM
    I just spoke with AT$T. They informed me on the phone that there is only one tethering plan that is unlimited. However the web-site seems to have several options. Unlimited is $60.00 with BES (we were paying $45.00 for BES unlimited).

To access the site go to wireless att com and search for Device Tutorials. Choose the RIM Blackberry 8310. Then in category 2 choose Laptop Connect. There are step-by-step instructions that include a link to the Communication Manager necessary to set up. I'm going to give it shot.

So it looks like about $15.00 a month extra for unlimited tethering (though I think they can boot you if you go above 5GB per month on a regular basis). That is comparable to Verizon, yet Verizon seems to be more pricey on the basic data plans. AT$T told me the plans are month to month and can be canceled with a phone call.

If anyone has some experience with this, please let me know.
    02-16-08 11:26 AM
    I just started using Shark modem to allow my laptop to access the web from my BB through BES. I heard that carriers can monitor such usage and possibly discontinue service, but as far as I know, my carrier doesn't seem to have a tethered modem pay charge service so I doubt they would stop my service. So far, I have only been able to get it going through USB but I had not spent much time trying Bluetooth when I gave up. Shark Modem costs ~$50 and they recommend using the trial version to make sure it works before buying it.
    02-16-08 01:46 PM
    Interesting fredhag. I would love to hear how it goes - and may have one of my team members or my wife try it out.

I have just tethered my 8310 using AT$T's Communication Manager. You have to have a good connection for it to work well (like anything). But I was able to connect to my VPN client and remote desktop.
    02-16-08 02:03 PM
    If you have AT$T high speed data then it might be a whole new ball game. For me, it is horribly slow through BES and USCellular. Shark Modem can do direct TCP so that sounds like it would make use of your high speed. I'm envious.

Interesting fredhag. I would love to hear how it goes - and may have one of my team members or my wife try it out.

I have just tethered my 8310 using AT$T's Communication Manager. You have to have a good connection for it to work well (like anything). But I was able to connect to my VPN client and remote desktop.
    02-16-08 02:17 PM
    Create an Extra Initialization String in Windows 2000 and XP
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Updated: 02/28/2008
    Troubleshooting Steps

SUBJECT:
    Create an Extra Initialization String in Windows 2000 and XP
    Creating a extra modem initialization string
    Using a modem initialization string

SYMPTOM:
    Error 734
    Error 692
    Modem / Tethering

FIX:Procedure
    Click Start.
    Select Control Panel.

Double click Phone and Modem.
    NOTE: If the Localization properties have not already been set a box may pop up asking for an Area Code and phone number. Enter the local area code and click next. This step is necessary, but inconsequential to the modem initialization string.

Click the Modem tab.

Highlight the "Desired modem" and click Properties.

Click on the Advanced tab.

Add the following extra initialization command
    New and existing AT&T wireless services customers:
    NOTE: The Context ID (CID) used in the initialization string should match the CID used in the phone number. For example, the phone number for the Motorola and Samsung devices should be *99***3#.
    For most devices:
    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","isp.cingular"
    NOTE: This instructs the device to use CID "1", set the protocol as "IP" and use the APN "isp.cingular".
    For Motorola and Samsung:
    AT+CGDCONT=3,"IP","isp.cingular"
    NOTE: This instructs the device to use CID "3", set the protocol as "IP" and use the APN "isp.cingular".
    Former AT&T Wireless customers:
    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","proxy"
    NOTE: This instructs the device to use CID "1", set the protocol as "IP" and use the APN "proxy".
    Click OK.

Attempt to connect.
    If still unable to connect and receiving Error: "734 or 692" the initialization string needs to be amended. Try the following variations:
    New and existing AT&T wireless services customers
    AT+CFUN=1;+CGDCONT=1,"IP","isp.cingular"
    NOTE: This instructs the device to power-up, user CID "1", set the protocol to "IP" and use the APN "isp.cingular".
    Former AT&T Wireless customer
    AT+CFUN=1;+CGDCONT=1,"IP","proxy"
    NOTE: This instructs the device to power-up, user CID "1", set the protocol to "IP" and use the APN "proxy".
    If still unable to connect contact AT&T Customer Service for wireless customers for further troubleshooting.
    04-24-08 03:09 PM
    I use this very successfully all the time. USB cable to 8310 with AT&T Comm Mgr. It's very easy to do. Plug your 8310 into a USB port, launch ATTCMgr and it connects. The plan to use for AT&T is unlimited BB data plan with the add'l $15 or so a month to get the tethered capability. It's just as fast as an Aircard and costs $45 less a month.

What doesn't work is if you try to do the same thing with Bluetooth. Spent 5 hours on the phone with help desk trying to get that up and couldn't. The devices paired fine (my laptop and my 8310), but they would not connect. If anyone has done this successfully, what is the magic formula?
    05-23-08 07:16 AM
    I too have tried and tried to get the bluetooth connection to work for the modem!! Can anyone please help us??????
    06-26-08 07:09 PM
    ... but what ios the CID for the Blackberry 8310? Is it 1? Is it 3?
    08-28-08 08:11 PM
    Anyone know about Suncom and the tethering? I have the unlimited plan and was wondering if I could use this as well..
    08-28-08 08:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD