I know similar questions have been asked but I didn't see a solution for what I would like to do which I will explain below.

First, I do pay the extra $15 to tether my 8330 to my laptop and it works great for me. Since I use this for my internet at home, I would like to set up an ad-Hoc wireless network by sharing my laptops Blackberry tethered connection so that I can connect my Ipod touch and surf the web with it. Its much easier to carry around my touch than a hefty laptop even if it will be slow.

I have not seen a solution to do this as of yet, here, or on the web. I have been able to set up the ad-Hoc network but my Touch will only connect "Locally." The Blackberry connection does show up as Dial up connection when I am tethering but I have read that you can share a dial-up as well as a wired connection using ICS. I have tried Vistas ICS wizard and it seems to work somewhat but I think I need help with the IP settings and such.

Anyone try this yet? Thanks for a great forum!!

Rob
    03-14-09 03:52 PM
    I'd like to know about this as well.
    03-14-09 04:05 PM
    I use a wireless router to route mine thru, here's a couple links that hopefully will explain a couple ways to do it.

How to Share Internet Connection in Ad hoc Network - UnlockForUs

WirelessMoves: How to share your 3G connection

I hope one of these works for you. Good Luck!!
    03-14-09 04:25 PM
    Thanks for those sites. They were helpful but did not resolve my problem. I did learn a whole bunch though. I searched Google for hours and did not get a hit on those websites..good find.

I found a video on youtube of a kid doing exactly what I want to do but he was using a wired LAN connection and he just "Bridged" the LAN and WLAN connections. Vista won't let me bridge the "Dial-up" and WLAN connections on my laptop.

I won't give up though, I am still working on it. Thanks again.

Rob
    03-14-09 08:47 PM
    I did it!!

For whatever reason ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and Windows Firewall were disabled in my Services.msc menu. All I had to was enable and set to an "Automatic" start for both. I am using Vista Home Premium.

I then right click on the "dial-up" connection that is my BB modem and click "share" tab. From the pull-down menu in the center of the screen select the "wireless adapter" or whatever connection you want the modem to share with. Works Great!! No more "error 0x80004005."

Then set-up an ad-hoc wireless network, follow the steps and use the DHCP setting on your other devices (Ipod Touch in my case) and it will assign an IP address automatically to it and you're good to go.

I'm getting about 500kbs down and 150kbs up on verizon 3g on the Ipod Touch. Not bad. You can even add encryption if you like while setting up the ad-hoc network. Just be very careful you don't go over your 5GB/Mo. if you have Verizon.

Thanks to those who started me in the right direction.

Hope this helps others...Enjoy!!

Rob
    Last edited by bubbarob1978; 03-15-09 at 07:15 PM.
    03-15-09 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD