so someone was telling me the other day, that it's always a good idea to keep a piece of tape/duct tape over the red indicator paper on the battery of phones so if/when you get your phone wet, it will not bleed, and verizon(or other carrier) cannot tell your phone has gotten wet. anyone do this with their blackberry? any comments on the topic?
    05-16-08 10:28 AM
    I was thinking about this (cuz I read it on a thread before) but what if, when you take the piece of tape off (for a repair or whatever) you pull off the indicator paper?
    05-16-08 10:31 AM
    good thinking, but i feel like i could carefully get it off. the paper seems to be on there pretty good.
    05-16-08 10:34 AM
    Couldn't you put a piece of paper or something over the indicator and then put the tape over that. That way the tape doesn't directly contact the indicator.

Or, you could just not get it wet...
    05-16-08 10:40 AM
    I think Kronk has figured it out!! it is close to impossible to not get it wet. i've had the indicator thing get messed up even when the phone is still working from my wet head after getting out of a pool/shower.
    05-16-08 10:43 AM
    Or, you could just not get it wet...

I'm thinking Kronk has the best answer.
    05-16-08 11:00 AM
    Good information.
    05-16-08 11:49 AM
    If my BB were to get wet I wouldn't worry about the wet indicator on the battery because you can always buy a new battery. The wet indicator you have to worry about is the little white box on the phone next to the SIM card. It's located next to the left SIM hinge.

When I returned my phone for an exchange the TMO rep asked me to tell her what color that indicator was. If it's any other color other than white your warranty will be void.

FYI anytime you send your BB in for an exchange they tell you to remove the SIM card, battery door and battery anyway.
    Last edited by JD914; 05-16-08 at 04:16 PM.
    05-16-08 12:45 PM
    oh ok, so it's this one, but i'm assuming you can put tape over that too right?
    05-16-08 02:04 PM
    What about the third one deep inside the case? I know of three of them. One on the battery and the one beside the battery and te one inside.

I have not taken a Blackberry topieces for a while so can't be sure if there is a fourth one.

These are there for a reason and its to deny insurance claims for phones under warranty that have gotten wet.
    05-16-08 02:30 PM
    I like the "don't get it wet" plan
    05-16-08 03:31 PM
    Buy a spare battron!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-08 03:47 PM
    Or... you can cover the red dot with clear nail polish. this will protect the red dot from bleeding if it gets wet...
    05-16-08 03:52 PM
    Info only:
    If you were too get your BB wet voiding your warranty, you still have a chance. Basically all you would have to do, is peel off the water indicator, purchase glossy white stickers used to print lables. Cut off a piece resembling the original and stick it back on. The tricky part is, there can be more hidden water indicators inside the bb. So you would have to open up the bb and locate them all just to be on the safe side. As many have mentioned, when returning your device for warranty purposes the first thing they do is look at the battery indicator and indicator near the sim card. If its white your good to go. I haven't been unfortunate yet to have done this, but I know of a couple of people who has and they all got new devices through warranty.
    05-16-08 05:07 PM
    Or... you can cover the red dot with clear nail polish. this will protect the red dot from bleeding if it gets wet...
    Nice, nice, nice. I would NEVER have thought of that.

Apart from the phone not working from being immersed, this is a great plan.

Of course you would have to dry the phone out and then carefully remove the nail polish before taking it to the store.

Blackberrys seem more sensitive than other electronic gizmos to water. I do not know why but they are.

The no-dunkum plan above seems best.
    05-16-08 05:12 PM
    Blimey! If everyone spent the same time trying not to get their BB wet, as thinking of ways to solve the problem in case it does get wet, then we wouldn't have the problem in the first place! LOL!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-08 05:17 PM
    wow. check out all these shady characters on CB.

tisk tisk

05-16-08 05:19 PM
    You can see the point though. If a phone under warranty gets wet, then people want their phone replaced under warranty. The chemical liquid detector prevents this so this thread is about how to beat the system and get a new phone for free following drunken antics. Hey, we are all human, well' 'cept me.

If you search these forums, you'll see that phones have been left in pants pockets and put in the washing machine, people thrown into pools whilst carrying their phones and two cases of phones being dropped down the toilet. Alchohol rules!!!

All this in the last month.
    05-16-08 05:29 PM
    You know, I do the laundry in the home. I check pockets before I load the washer.

Just saying...
    05-16-08 06:03 PM
    Thanks KRONK for the idea.
    05-17-08 06:11 AM
    You know, I do the laundry in the home.
    now sit... roll over... SPEAK!

GOOD WOMAN!!
    05-17-08 06:37 AM
    If I might add... the moisture detector on the battery is quite sensitive and if you live in an area with higher humidity, that in itself could "activate" the red x's...
    05-17-08 09:13 AM
    now sit... roll over... SPEAK!

GOOD WOMAN!!
    Jhard, that's harsh, funny, but harsh.

I like your signature. There seems to be about 4.5 sets of software there. But then I already knew that.
    05-17-08 10:02 AM
    Jhard, that's harsh, funny, but harsh.

I like your signature. There seems to be about 4.5 sets of software there. But then I already knew that.
    He baits me because I took issue with a vulgar PM he sent me. Now he follows me from thread to thread. I have him on ignore, so I only saw what he said when you quoted him. Sadly, it's more of the same.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 05-17-08 at 10:13 PM.
    05-17-08 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD