HI this is my first post.

I am about to switch from my Razor to a BB curve.

My wife has a Cingular/At&T account.

Here are my questions.
    1. I guess I can either get Wifi without the camera. Or I could get a Camera with GPS and no Wifi.

2. Am I going to have to sign up for a specific BB account to use E-mail, IM and the Browser. Or will that be included in the Data part of the Account we have. Also if I have an existing account and I show them the deal with Walmart in a AT&T store do they have to honor it?

3. What is the Unlock of the phone deal about. that's if I can get the code. I saw that from doing a Search.

In reality the MP3 and Music is not a big deal to me. I really could use a camera, Wifi and GPS. I also need to see if my Ballistic Program would work on if with the SD card. This way I could get rid of the Palm and combine everything.
    Any help is appreciated.
    02-23-08 04:31 PM
    1. That is correct.
    2. Yes, you need a BB data plan. Standard cell phone data plans won't work.
    3. Unlocking the phone is only necessary if you're going to use the device with another carrier, i.e. TMobile.

4. No apps will run off the SD card on a BB. It's media/storage only.
    02-23-08 04:38 PM
    Thank you..This site is awesome..I think I am going to get in lots of trouble...LOL
    02-23-08 04:51 PM
    You'll learn lots of stuff here. Hope u enjoy.
    02-23-08 04:58 PM
    Hello and welcome to CB, Raven!
    02-23-08 05:02 PM
    Regarding the deal at walmart.. No they do not have to and likely will not match the deal of another store. Stores operate independently of one another and walmart is likely a reseller and thus offers their own deals that att had no obligation to offer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-08 05:08 PM
    Raven,

The only way you can get everything you want (camera, WiFi, and GPS) is to buy a Curve 8320 and a GPS "puck". If you look at the recent reviews, Kevin (I think) reviewed a keychain-sized GPS unit that talks with your unit via Bluetooth.

The 8320 has built-in WiFi and a camera, and is a great Curve device. By having a standalone GPS unit you can use that for navigation.

Now if you're going to use ATT, you will have to buy a T-Mobile 8320 and it must be unlocked. You can either do that yourself or buy one that is already unlocked. If you're getting a deal on an 8310 from ATT, I'd recommend ebaying that and paying a little more to buy the 8320. Unlocking is a pretty simple process, check the sticky at the beginning of the 83xx forum discussion; you can either get the code from the original carrier [if they will give it to you], or purchase it from a 3rd party vendor. It may seem a bit confusing at first, but once you do it once it's a piece of cake.

Now on to the data cost discussion. ATT's "normal phone" unlimited data cost is $15/mo. Their unlimited BlackBerry plan (without messaging or tethering as a modem) is $30/mo. You will probably want the $30/mo plan if you can afford it, since it will give you access to all of the wonderful features of your new BlackBerry. You can gimp by with WiFi and/or the $15 plan (don't tell them you have a BB), but if you do you are seriously crippling a lot of the reasons to have the device in the first place.

One last phone option which I assume you know but I'll throw out there anyway; ATT sells the 8820 which has integrated WiFi _and_ GPS. The downside (for some) is the larger form factor (not quite as 'sexy' as the Curve) and the fact that it doesn't have a camera.....which you stated as one of your requirements.

OK, there's enough blathering from me at the moment. If you want, please ask anything else and we'll try to help you as much as possible. Search the forums and read older threads; they may answer some of your n00b questions.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions I can help with.

Welcome to the Crack,
    -Eric
    02-23-08 05:37 PM
    When you get your BB you would luv it.
    Welcome to CB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-08 05:39 PM
    EAKeller..Thanks
    We have had the plan for about 7 yrs now with Cingular before AT&T combined. I know we have Data Service which I am sure is paid for but states part of the plan.
    I saw a 8320 in the AT&T store. Maybe they just started selling it. Or maybe it is like you say for another service. GPS would be a nice combo but I do use TomTom in my car and either a TomTom with my palm or Magellan. Depends what situation I am in.

It just would be nice to have everything in one place. Less equipment to haul in the field. Still I like the idea of having backups just in case.

I will spring for the extra $30.00. I just wish my wife got herself a BB instead of the I think Samsung Blackjack II SGH-i167. I do not think I could use PTT with her system.

I looked at the 8820 and it is not that bad, but the camera option has become a necessity for certain situations.
    02-23-08 06:03 PM
    Welcome to CB!!!!
    02-23-08 10:14 PM
    EAKeller..Thanks
    I saw a 8320 in the AT&T store. Maybe they just started selling it. Or maybe it is like you say for another service. GPS would be a nice combo but I do use TomTom in my car and either a TomTom with my palm or Magellan. Depends what situation I am in.

It just would be nice to have everything in one place. Less equipment to haul in the field. Still I like the idea of having backups just in case.

I will spring for the extra $30.00. I just wish my wife got herself a BB instead of the I think Samsung Blackjack II SGH-i167. I do not think I could use PTT with her system.

I looked at the 8820 and it is not that bad, but the camera option has become a necessity for certain situations.
    No problem, I like to help if I can. Is your wife still within her return period? Once she gets the feel of your BlackBerry, she may be ebaying that sucker. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad device, but it is leagues different from the BB.

I can pretty much guarantee you that AT&T doesn't sell the 8320. T-Mobile is the only US carrier to sell it (you can verify this on their respective websites). AT&T does sell the 8310 (camera + GPS) and used to sell the 8300 (camera, no GPS). I know there are still some "authorized resellers" out there who have 8300 inventory, but that's definitely not what you want.

If you've got the TomTom and it can communicate, heck....go with an unlocked 8320. Best of all worlds in our current reality. Surf WiFi when available, take photos, and use things like Google Maps or TeleNav with your offboard GPS - all in a nice little Curve package.

Good luck with your quest, and keep us informed! It's great to see new people with newfound addictions - keeps the rest of us thinking we're OK.

=Eric
    02-23-08 10:28 PM
    I have a 8310 - LOVE IT, and my husband has a Blackjack II. He would have gotten one like mine, but he has too many applications and other items for WM. But it works for him.
    02-23-08 11:05 PM
    Hi and welcome. Feel free to be addict to your BB and CB.
    02-24-08 06:12 AM
    welcome to your next addiction
    02-24-08 07:00 AM
    welcome to the forums
    02-24-08 08:32 AM
    welcome to crackberry...

-db
    02-24-08 08:46 AM
    Another question..
    Does the BB curve use the New G3 Technology. It was just set up out here in my area. This Sunday my friends Razor V3 uses it and it is fast. My Razor does not get it..I guess I would have to upgrade if I was going to keep it.

Also my wife's Samsung Blackjack II happens to be a really nice system.....I really do not know any thing about them but it uses Windows 6.0....Anybody have info on that compared to BB curve?
    02-25-08 05:33 PM
    No BlackBerry out there uses 3G yet. It's a Holy Grail I am looking forward to, along with a 3G iPhone. Go figure. Maybe I'll have both. Newer RAZRs use 3G, older ones don't.

The BJII is a nice unit. I have had them, and had no major complaints. HOWEVER, compared to BBs, they're night and day. If you want a communication device that will not let you down, will keep you in touch with the world, have a stable OS, and do probably 98% of what you want a smartphone to do, then stick with a BB.
    I really wanted to love the BJ, especially since it had 3G speeds incorporated into it. In real-world experience, however, since WM6 is so slow (compared to BB OS), the web-surfing speed was about a wash. Pages looked better on the BJ, but since I use Opera Mini on the BB, the rendering is very similar.

There's a reason that BlackBerrys sell for approximately 2x the price of BlackJacks on eBay.

-Eric
    02-25-08 06:05 PM
    Yea I just did a search and see they do not use 3G yet. I am sure right after I buy it 3 months later they will use it.

I have been using the Black Jack II all day today. In reality it is fast for certain things. Still the Windows 6 system is not my cup of tea.
    Compared to a I phone Windows got nothing on it except the Down load of more apps.
    My wife really only uses it for texting here sister who is deaf. Also the use of the phone. Which IMHO is a little tiny sounding. I did not use the e-mail since I do not want to mess with setting it up for her with my own Password.
    Camera wise..Not that great. My Razer which I have had for 3 yrs is a really fine phone. Dealing with a Palm E2 and having everything synchronize is a PITA some times. Even with Beam capabilities and the Key board...

Either way I hope to get the Curve tomorrow. If my son didn't blow the engine in the car I let him use today I would have been playing with a Curve today.....His quote " I only thought I had to check the oil every 3,000 miles." Seized the engine up coming from school on the express way today...
    02-25-08 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD