I have searched AT&T and signal loss and SOS - came across the general stuff regarding the type of signal and that you may or may not get signal - my question is this - there are 4 of us in the office who do not get ANY signal in the office (my home Verizon Q sure does)....can I do any type of update in terms of what I could do on Verizon's network - (which was something like *22 option 4). I am going to upgrade as it appears I am one release off but I wanted to see if that would have anything to do with signal strength...sorry I am new to Blackberry been a Windows user since back in the days of the HP 575 and first generation Casseopia.
    05-28-08 09:03 PM
    typically changing devices will not improve signal strength. if you have poor signal strength with AT&T now, chances are it will still be bad if you get a different device. A software upgrade may or may not help. Best thing is to find someone in the office who has AT&T and their device is not a BB. Or have if you have a friend who has AT&T get them to come to your work and test it out.

If their signal is way better that your BB, then its your device and a software upgrade may help. If the signal strength is the same on both, then there is not much you can do.
    05-28-08 09:26 PM
    Figured that may be the case - so no joy on needing to update bb devices in terms of new towers...which I assume is what Verizon is doing when they tell me to hit *22 option 4 every time i am on hold (which was every time, hehe).
    05-29-08 07:31 AM
    i think Verizon works a little different than the rest of the carriers. Im not sure what the *22 option 4 does, it could be some type of force update to re-sync your phone to the network or some thing like that.

AT&T does not have that. Sometimes the devices do get brain lock and need to be power cycled or remove the battery and put it back in to reset the counters. I used to have a Motorola phone that I had to power off every 3 days or it would not work properly do to the counters not resetting like they should have.
    05-29-08 08:37 PM
    This is why I had to stay with VZ for my office and AT&T for personal. Away from my office AT&T works fine but I have to use VZ in my office because of poor signal on AT&T at that location. I wish that I could have all AT&T but it just does not look like that is going to happen. If they would put a tower closer to my office then I may be in business but that is not likely to happen.
    05-29-08 08:43 PM
    The PRL (preferred roaming list) is updated via *228 and option #2. Verizon recommends this be done every 30 to 60 days.

I am unfamiliar with software upgrades and roaming lists (if there is such a thing) in GSM land, but more often than not with the upgrades I do at my store, it doesn't improve signal by a significant amount.
    05-29-08 09:17 PM
    Sorry if I mis-typed the vzn update - could be 228 I have the memory of a tick turd so forgive me .

Irks me that I am on the first floor right next to a BIG floor to ceiling window and I get no signal....oh well. Maybe some rabbit ears or a long string of metal paper clips...
    05-30-08 10:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD