Well, there are a few hours of my life I'll never get back. GAH! I just got off the phone with T-Mobile. Basically, I've had my Curve for a few months. Wi-Fi works great at home. Can't make a single flippin' phone call. Coverage in my area is bad, which is rediculous because I'm in MA and the state just isn't that big. So, I was trying to figure out how to get the UMA to work to make phone calls. Every so often, I see UMA on my phone when I'm using it, but, no idea. I wasted a rediculous amount of time looking things up only to be told by the 2nd T-Mobile rep I talked to today, I can't do it. I don't pay $10/mo for T-Mobile at home, so, my UMA won't work.

WTF?

One of the things I was sold on when I bought this phone was that it had Wi-Fi capabilities and I could use that to make phone calls if I had bad reception, which I do at my house. So, now, unless I want to pay another $10 a month, I can't make phone calls from here. Just a tad annoyed.

It's not that I was looking for the unlimited free calls via Wi-Fi that you get with @Home, I just wanted my stupid phone to work.

So, I thought I'd share with any of you who are frustrated that your Curve won't work in UMA, it could be because T-Mobile wants more money.

And before someone says "Switch to AT&T or Verizon" over my dead body, I'm done with those two clowns. Besides, I signed a contract and really don't feel like paying $200 to get out of it.
    07-14-08 12:22 PM
    TMobile is not purposely aiming to rip you off or anything!! Sorry you are having problems

Can you connect to WiFi at all? And just no UMA?

Try to follow my WiFi guide... I have a link in my signature I hope it can help!
    07-14-08 12:25 PM
    Well, there are a few hours of my life I'll never get back. GAH! I just got off the phone with T-Mobile. Basically, I've had my Curve for a few months. Wi-Fi works great at home. Can't make a single flippin' phone call. Coverage in my area is bad, which is rediculous because I'm in MA and the state just isn't that big. So, I was trying to figure out how to get the UMA to work to make phone calls. Every so often, I see UMA on my phone when I'm using it, but, no idea. I wasted a rediculous amount of time looking things up only to be told by the 2nd T-Mobile rep I talked to today, I can't do it. I don't pay $10/mo for T-Mobile at home, so, my UMA won't work.

WTF?

One of the things I was sold on when I bought this phone was that it had Wi-Fi capabilities and I could use that to make phone calls if I had bad reception, which I do at my house. So, now, unless I want to pay another $10 a month, I can't make phone calls from here. Just a tad annoyed.

It's not that I was looking for the unlimited free calls via Wi-Fi that you get with @Home, I just wanted my stupid phone to work.

So, I thought I'd share with any of you who are frustrated that your Curve won't work in UMA, it could be because T-Mobile wants more money.

And before someone says "Switch to AT&T or Verizon" over my dead body, I'm done with those two clowns. Besides, I signed a contract and really don't feel like paying $200 to get out of it.

Well apparently ALL providers are greedy, lying and immoral businesses......might I suggest two soup cans and a VERY long string? Perhaps brush up your skills in order to be an EXPERT in Yodeling? You signed the agreement..........pay the extra money, give up the mobile service and/or quit complaining.........after your 3rd provider........I think it's time to quit finger pointing.... REMEMBER-When you point your finger there are at least three pointing back at you.....
    07-14-08 12:33 PM
    How old are you? Seriously. I had Verizon for 10+ years before DH and I switched. Are you even old enough to have had a cell phone for 10 years? never mind longer? AT&T is what used to be called Cellular One in MA and I had enough friends who got burned by them that I would never waste my time or money on them.

It's posts like yours that are why I made that comment. You can't give any constructive advice you just have to bash other people. I had seen various posts about people getting UMA to work, so, I thought (how nutty of me) that someone may know something I didn't.

For the most part, I've found Crackberry forums to be helpful, but, after this crap, I think I have better things to do with my time.
    07-14-08 12:40 PM
    BMcClure has written a very helpful thread on Wifi and UMA issues.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/

The good news is, it does work and it works very well, once everything is configured properly.

07-14-08 01:03 PM
    I don't have the @homespot plan and am able to use the UMA calling feature. I normally have bad reception at home but with UMA, everything is perfect. I don't see why UMA isn't working for you.
    07-14-08 01:16 PM
    You can definately make calls over UMA without paying for the unlimited plan. It just takes the minutes away from your regular calling plan. Go through the guide posted above and make sure everything is setup properly.

and good luck
    07-14-08 02:16 PM
    Just wondering if you got this working yet? Hopefully we can get it running for ya!
    07-14-08 02:20 PM
    Looks like the UMA service is down in Atlanta again. Got a call on my land line. Seems that my partner had been trying to reach me for about an hour. Looked down at my phone and sure enough, wifi is fine NO UMA. I ran wifi diagnostics, same error as last week (w006.2). Checked my wife's nokia, same error. I'm on the phone with tmo sc right now,. They first suggested it is my phone, my ISP etc. Then they reopened my trouble ticket from last week and put the ticket back into the que, telling me I have to wait for the advanced tech group to get back to me since they are an off-line group. Last week it took 3 days for tmo to fix what appears to be the exact same problem.
    07-14-08 02:37 PM
    Yep, UMA is down in my area too. This is simply a waiting game, calling tech support will do nothing but get you frustrated. They are aware that there is a issue going on with UMA. Nothing you can do but wait for it to get resolved
    07-14-08 02:43 PM
    shorynot, I disagree, the more people call the more evident it will be to tmo that there is a problem. most companies determine how well they servicing current clients by the amount of service calls placed. i might be wrong, but more sc calls put in, the more pressure on tmo to fix the problem. From what I was told tmo didn't even get their engineering department involved last week until the 3rd day of the problem. hopefully we won't have to wait 3 days again
    07-14-08 02:57 PM
    esblechner is wise in the ways of customer service and the real world of geek behind the scenes.

Definitely, the more complaints CS logs, the more urgent it becomes to act on them.

I was on the service delivery side, when the identical call begin piling up, it will be escalated and they will apply resources to getting it fixed.

Pity, T-Mobile had this working so well, they must have changed something.
    07-14-08 03:09 PM
    You are right, initially when a issue happens its best for as many people to call as possible. But once the problem is recognized globally, there really is no point in spending time on the phone with CS. I called this morning to make sure this issue is still global and not on my end. Dont get me wrong tmo, customer service is great. But they know about this. Also just a tip for when you guys are callin tech support, after putting in your phone number all you have to do is say "blackberry" when the automated system asks what yourr calling about. This will take you directly to a blackberry/pda rep.
    07-14-08 03:17 PM
    Thanks for the tip... yes i said blackberry after putting in my number. the problem is that only takes you to 2nd tier cs.

Also, funny thing, as of 2:30pm dst, tmo was suggesting that the problem was my isp or phone. it seems to me if they were aware (as shorynot stated above) then to attempt to "blame" the outage on my phone or isp was a little bit dishonest!
    07-14-08 03:35 PM
    Exactly, that is quite frustrating. They didnt try to pull that on me this time around. But before they realized this was a legitimate issue i made 3 seperate calls to CS, and of course they tell me to do a battery pull. When that doesnt work its automatically my fault lol. They actually tried suggesting that i return my phone. Pah-lease!!

Could you explain what you mean in regards to saying "blackberry" taking you to 2nd tier cs?
    07-14-08 03:39 PM
    I dont remember the exact names of the tiers (was told about them last week), but here goes:

basic CS
    backberry / pda
    advanced tech
    engineering

BTW one of the advanced techs stated that they only had 3 uma trained techs. aso, on Wednesday of last week 1 tech was on vacation, 1 was on brevement leave, and the last one went home due to having an ashma attack. I'm a bit concerned as to tmo's commitment to quality UMA service.
    07-14-08 03:57 PM
    Exactly, i think tmo almost looks at uma as some obscure rarely used feature. But uma is pretty much my life saver when im at home because my reception is so low in my apartment. Ill try to connect again when im home from work and see how it goes. This is frustrating to say the least
    07-14-08 04:21 PM
    I'd be interested in knowing how many customers tmo has that use uma, and how many of them use the @home service
    07-14-08 04:29 PM
    I have it and it works well until I use my bluetooth headset. I remember reading on some other site the newest blues using 2.0 clash w/UMA because of the frequency they use are the same....of course I saw this AFTER I bought the 1st headset.

So I'm looking for an older bluetooth headset so I won't have these issues.
    07-14-08 05:40 PM
    jozigrrl,
    I have a blueant z9 that i've had for about 6 months. I've never had a problem with it. you might want to look at the new review (on CB) for the z9i
    07-14-08 08:09 PM
    Ok guys, i just got this msg from t-mobile that said the following.

Free t-mobile msg: To use t_mobile hotspot @home at some locations, you must register a 9-1-1 adress under your profile on my.tmobile.com or by calling 611

Im gonna try it now
    07-14-08 08:43 PM
    shorynot,
    your gonna love this.
    i went to my.tmobile.com to make sure i had registered my address for 9-1-1. got the following message

There was a problem loading your profile. Please try again later.

I give up for the night... wonder how many days it will take tmo to "fix" uma this time. anybody want to start a pool?

for that matter a couple of ideas for betting pools:

how many customers will tmo cs alienate by the way they handle this outage?

how many customers will quit tmo over this outage?
    Last edited by esblechner; 07-14-08 at 11:12 PM.
    07-14-08 10:39 PM
    One thing is CLEAR. This is a T-Mobile problem and they will not admit it. If you are getting a W006 error, it is them!

Their Customer Service won't even consider that it might be their problem unless you jump through all the hoops.

Dan is a supervisor familiar with the problem. Try to get to him, if you can.

Last night they were saying they wanted me to reinstall my operating systems on both Curves. I was screaming at these dimwits.

There is not a problem with my phone, router or ISP. They are all working properly. I get internet and email on the phone, just no UMA from T-Mobile.

Needless to say, I will not resign with T-Mobile after this run. There has to be somebody with better Customer Service than this!
    07-15-08 09:18 AM
    I'd be interested in knowing how many customers tmo has that use uma, and how many of them use the @home service
    It's not only tmo@home with the problem. Went to Starbucks last night and turned off Mobile Network connection so WIFI would control, and there was no UMA signal even at their hotspot locations.

I'm going to the T-Mobile store today and complain.
    07-15-08 09:20 AM
    Ok guys, i just got this msg from t-mobile that said the following.

Free t-mobile msg: To use t_mobile hotspot @home at some locations, you must register a 9-1-1 adress under your profile on my.tmobile.com or by calling 611

Im gonna try it now
    It's just another hoop for you to jump through. They registered my 9-1-1 address and it didn't have any effect.

Their UMA Network Controller is down. Plain and simple.
    07-15-08 09:22 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD