A friend is trying to convince me that a Blackberry wouldn't work with a prepaid phone service like T-Mobile's ToGo. It isn't sitting right with me so I figured I would put it to the test and ask all of you for your opinions...

Obviously a device like a Blackberry is made for a data plan... Therefore without wifi you would be limited to what any other prepaid handset can do...calls, sms, etc. But within range of wifi, internet browsing, email, etc. would be possible since they wouldn't be using the service provider anyway.

Am I mistaken?
    01-27-08 03:01 PM
    I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't get any of that stuff without having the service books pushed to your device. Without a BB data plan, you would just get the basic phone services.
    01-27-08 03:19 PM
    Is a Blackberry really that different to any other phone? I used to have T-Mob's prepaid service and used all kinds of non-provider phones. I used the Nokia N80 for almost a year, as long as I was in range of wifi - I could browse, chat, use email...
    01-27-08 03:26 PM
    i have the BB Pearl on on ATT Go Phone with plans and all i have is the basics.
    cause i cant get the data plan wich sucks...
    check out mah sig!!
    01-27-08 10:48 PM
    That does kind of suck, sorry to hear it

Ultimately am I wrong though? I mean wifi is wifi... If you're in range, then what do you need a cell phone carrier/data plan for?

Anyone?
    01-27-08 11:19 PM
    That does kind of suck, sorry to hear it

Ultimately am I wrong though? I mean wifi is wifi... If you're in range, then what do you need a cell phone carrier/data plan for?

Anyone?
    You can't play, if you don't pay. WiFI or not, you will still be charged minutes for calls on WiFI.

If you want all the other stuff (internet, email), you need plans (either BIS or BES).
    01-28-08 01:29 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I think it's strange and a little evil (for lack of a better word) that you can't use a device that you've paid for, to access internet/email - on the wireless network you are paying for... Such a thing would work with any other phone, what's so special about a Blackberry?
    01-28-08 02:08 AM
    Anybody out there...?
    01-28-08 06:09 PM
    Service Books.... without them, you are limited.
    01-28-08 06:24 PM
    You should give tham a call and they may offer a prepaid plan. I got my sister a prepaid sidekick and she pays $30 a month for the sidekick data plan under their flex pay plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-08 06:56 PM
    i work for TMO. and no you won't be able to use the wifi on prepaid. you should look into the flexpay data plans.
    01-28-08 08:29 PM
    It has nothing to do with the BB. It's just how limited pre-paid service is. I used to have T-Mobile To Go. Signal strength is just as good, but I got tired of having to pay ever higher $$ for ring tones that you could not preview. And not being able to do much more than make and receive calls.
    01-28-08 11:29 PM
    On just the Tmobile togo plan no you will not be able to do anything but utilize the phone /voice features and possible wifi,but then you may have to pay for that. Tmobile offers a flexpay plan for Blackberry data. That means you do not have a contract and you just pay the fee of either 29.99 or 39.99 a month for unlimited email or unlimited data. This way you are not trapped into a contract if you do not like the service.
    01-29-08 07:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD