So I just had a similar experience to another recent poster, in that, over the holiday weekend, my sister's dog decided to use my new BlackBerry as a chew toy.

I literally bought it three weeks ago and was planning to upgrade to the new iPhone (its a work thing - need to test the platform). My phone/wallet were stolen, and I was just going to buy a temporary goPhone, but told the AT&T agent I needed email access but was willing to live without it, and she said to buy the BB and return it when I come in to buy the iPhone (which would work out to the same cost).

Well, one week before the iPhone 2, and my BlackBerry looks like crap.

Its still under the 30-day return policy, but to do that it needs to be in working order.

I do have insurance on the phone, but if I get an insurance phone, could I return that one in the box of my old phone?? That just seems shady.

Is my best option to get the insurance phone, buy the iPhone, and try to sell the insurance phone on eBay or to a friend?

I just really don't know what to do, and you guys seem to be the experts at this insurance thing.

Should I call the store and explain what happened or are they just not accomodating at all?
    07-06-08 11:57 PM
    If you call the store they'll tell you that you're out of luck. Can you replace the housing and LCd and it work again or is it damaged beyond repair?
    07-06-08 11:59 PM
    If you call the store they'll tell you that you're out of luck. Can you replace the housing and LCd and it work again or is it damaged beyond repair?
    Well, the screen has a few scratches, no visible bite marks. The back plate is full of bite marks. The only problem with replacing the faceplates is that the dog managed to remove (hopefully not swallow) all of the buttons and covers off the sides, so I'm not sure that those sidings will even slip on if I ever manage to find (or replace) them.
    07-07-08 12:16 AM
    Oh, and the phone is fully functional.

Does anyone know if AT&T does in-store repairs of the siding/face plates? or how I would try to get some.
    07-07-08 12:17 AM
    Oh you're fine then. Go to Full 8310 housing and order you a new housing along with a T5 screwdriver. If the side buttons are messed up, you can order them also. Side buttons
    Last edited by Super Loopy; 07-07-08 at 12:23 AM.
    07-07-08 12:19 AM
    Even if you were able to get a replacement, once they recd yours and saw the damage they would charge your acct for the full price of the phone because it wouldn't be a legitimate warranty replacement or insurance claim. I would get the new housing and just replace it - I replaced mine - its not that hard. Good luck!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 12:31 AM
    It would be a legitimate insurance claim since insurance covers any type of physical damage but the IMEI numbers would obviously be different.

Just order the housing and buttons and replace them. I will warn you though, the shipping will take the full 7 to 10 business days from Hong Kong. The business is reputable and if you need anything they speak fluent English (the guy grew up in Canada).
    07-07-08 12:35 AM
    Oh cool - that's good to know about the insurance. I thought it only covered certain things. Thanks!!

07-07-08 12:41 AM
    Even if you were able to get a replacement, once they recd yours and saw the damage they would charge your acct for the full price of the phone because it wouldn't be a legitimate warranty replacement or insurance claim. I would get the new housing and just replace it - I replaced mine - its not that hard. Good luck!!!

I thought the insurance covered all accidental damage?

I think I'm going to go with the housing, anyways. So some of you have ordered before? The lack of concrete shipping information is a little nerve-racking (although I've done business with China before and understand).

What was the turnaround time?
    07-07-08 12:48 AM
    It would be a legitimate insurance claim since insurance covers any type of physical damage but the IMEI numbers would obviously be different.

Just order the housing and buttons and replace them. I will warn you though, the shipping will take the full 7 to 10 business days from Hong Kong. The business is reputable and if you need anything they speak fluent English (the guy grew up in Canada).
    Awesome. Thanks! That was my concern. I'll report back, and lucky for me I still have my personal 8830 on Sprint. Now I'll just be that jackass with an iPhone and a BlackBerry, instead of the jackass with two blackberries.
    07-07-08 12:53 AM
    What a stand up thing to do. Cover it up so the next person to get the phone gets shafted. You fracked up and let the dog chew on it, the right thing to do would be to own up to it and bite the dime. Knowing you wanted to return it within 30 days, you should have kept that thing in mint condition.

I think the best thing to happen here is for your sister to buy you the new iPhone when it comes out. That's the least she can do.... threatening to hold the dog captive would help motivate her.
    07-07-08 12:54 AM
    Ethics aside, if it gets returned it will go to a service center for rework/testing as a refurbished device. It can't be resold as a new device, that's not just unethical, it's illegal.

07-07-08 01:21 AM
    Yes, that is the only reason I suggested replacing the housing.

If I thought for one minute that the store was going to put the box back on the shelf and sell it as new I wouldn't have even considered suggesting a new housing. The store can not sell a phone as new with any minutes talked on it so worst case scenario, someone makes an insurance claim and gets the phone after it was checked at a service center.
    07-07-08 07:21 AM
    Oh, and the phone is fully functional.

Does anyone know if AT&T does in-store repairs of the siding/face plates? or how I would try to get some.
    I would hit up ATT for a refurbished phone - then you are set and no warranty claim.......
    07-07-08 10:39 AM
    Sell it on ebay as is.
    07-07-08 10:57 AM
    I thought AT&T didn't offer insurance on PDA or Smartphones.....
    07-07-08 11:15 AM
    They started recently but the stipulation is you had to have bought your berry within 30 days and if you bought it before they offered the insurance you're out of luck.

I personally use ATG insurance and its cheaper than what at&t offers. They're a 3rd party carrier and you can find them by doing a search. Deductible is only $69 with them but you have to fulfill the entire contract's monthly premium before you can file a claim and only one claim per contract.

07-07-08 11:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD