I have searched and found a few threads regarding this, but they mostly noted on how vzw wont let you use the gps......etcetc..

The other day im out in the middle of nowhere(corn field indiana). I open up google maps, and it gives me one of those "this is your location up to 3000 meters"..
    So i go to the gps and open and reaquire the sat. signals. That tells me it is accurate up to 14.1m(im assuming that is meters not miles), 5sats..

My question is, ON att does google maps use the actual gps, or trianglulate? How can i have a wide open sky and it tell me that it is my location to 3000 meters?

Should I just use bbmaps? Do you know where I can ota it? Thanks for your opinion
    04-30-09 07:15 AM
    Google maps uses cell tower triangulation. I have an 8320 also in indiana and on at&t. Best ive gotten out of it is 1500 meter. it actually shows a certain point. But if you look its got a circle round it which means u can be anywhere in that circle. At my apt it shows that I am on the other opposite side of the interstate then I actually am. Not very far off. I can see it from the front of my apt.
    04-30-09 07:40 AM
    correct me if i'm wrong but, the 8320 doesn't have gps, it was traded for wi-fi on that unit.
    04-30-09 07:42 AM
    You are right. If you read my post google map uses cell tower triangulation. But it also has an option to use a bluetooth gps reciever. So you are right. But as default google maps on any device uses cell tower triagulation and only gives an aproximate location.
    04-30-09 07:48 AM
    On the 8310 it uses both - it uses triangulation until you get a good lock on the satellites and then the GPS kicks in pretty accurately.
    04-30-09 07:52 AM
    You are right. If you read my post google map uses cell tower triangulation. But it also has an option to use a bluetooth gps reciever. So you are right. But as default google maps on any device uses cell tower triagulation and only gives an aproximate location.
    Thanks for the info!
    04-30-09 07:54 AM
    No problem guys just glad i can help figure things out.
    04-30-09 08:32 AM
    right, i have an 8310=gps.

so why wouldn't it get a gps signal with wide open sky, and i went to the gps options and refreshed the sats(and it says they were aquired).????

also, does anyone know where to ota bbmaps?
    04-30-09 09:44 AM
    I just went outside and opened google maps and it gave me my location within 800 meters, waited a few seconds, hit my location, and it gave me within 50 meters, then waited a few secs, hit my location, and it gave me within 10 meters, finally within 3 meters, but I had to hit my location a few times to get it to show me the dialogue of how close it was.
    04-30-09 10:37 AM
    The OTA for BBMaps is only available for 4.2 if I remember correctly. If you have 4.5, it may already be installed, but AT&T sends a blank service book, so it's not visible and can't be used.

And unless they've changed Google Maps since the last time I looked at it, which I admit was probably a few versions back, it doesn't triangulate squat. From the testing I did with it, all it did was show you where the nearest tower was. I could drive down the highway and the blue dot was dead on the towers as I passed them. Maybe it's changed since then, but I haven't tested it recently.
    04-30-09 11:09 AM
    The OTA for BBMaps is only available for 4.2 if I remember correctly. If you have 4.5, it may already be installed, but AT&T sends a blank service book, so it's not visible and can't be used.

And unless they've changed Google Maps since the last time I looked at it, which I admit was probably a few versions back, it doesn't triangulate squat. From the testing I did with it, all it did was show you where the nearest tower was. I could drive down the highway and the blue dot was dead on the towers as I passed them. Maybe it's changed since then, but I haven't tested it recently.
    Well unless they are putting towers on peoples houses now its changed a bit lol. Still like I said not perfect but close enough if you know the town your in just a little. I have a garmin anyway. This is just a toy. And if you notice the sat photos they use arent exactly new either.
    04-30-09 11:15 AM
    Like I said, it's been a while since I played with it. Google Maps might be handy for some, but I have no use for it.

And sat photos are only updated about every three years or so.
    04-30-09 11:25 AM
    If you use google world on ur computer they are pretty recent but other then that i havent seen them stay too up to date. I use google earth every now and again to play around looking at the town i live in. Every now and again ill check out the base i was at when i was in Iraq too. So they stay some what current.
    04-30-09 11:37 AM
    Current Google maps uses triangulation and GPS if it can find one.
    The GPS sometimes takes a little time to warm up from sleep and aquire satellites, so it takes a few seconds for it to zero in. So far, the 8310, 8330(non-m), and 8350i work fine; 8330m owners are out of luck as the current version doesn't seem to see the GPS on it. All other Curve models (including the m) will work in pure triangulation mode, but can be paired with a BT GPS receiver if you need accurate results in Google maps.
    05-01-09 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD