I'm trying to figure this phone out. I had US Cellular and a Moto Q and the internet was slow. I got a 8330 and went with Verizon for faster internet and to be able to view html sites and watch youtube.

Web pages loaded faster on my Moto q. The track ball is annoying. It takes forever to scroll through pages. Pages look different than on my q. The sceen is not nearly as bright as on the q. And I can't watch my videos that I have on my computer which worked fine on my q.

How do I get web pages to load quickly?

Pictures that people post on webpages do no load, how to I fix that?

Can I make the screen brighter?

How can I scoll faster?

How can I watch my videos on movies on this?

Can I make webpages appear as they do on my q with windows mobile 5? (they all appear as a column and don't look like a normal page, take forever to scroll through them too)

I tried using this site on the curve but had to go to a computer because it didn't load properly and I was unable to set up an account.

Windows mobile 5 OS is so much more user friendly than this BB OS.

Any tips or tricks to make this phone worth while?
    05-25-09 03:38 AM
    I'm trying to figure this phone out. I had US Cellular and a Moto Q and the internet was slow. I got a 8330 and went with Verizon for faster internet and to be able to view html sites and watch youtube.

Web pages loaded faster on my Moto q. The track ball is annoying. It takes forever to scroll through pages. Pages look different than on my q. The sceen is not nearly as bright as on the q. And I can't watch my videos that I have on my computer which worked fine on my q.

How do I get web pages to load quickly?

Pictures that people post on webpages do no load, how to I fix that?

Can I make the screen brighter?

How can I scoll faster?

How can I watch my videos on movies on this?

Can I make webpages appear as they do on my q with windows mobile 5? (they all appear as a column and don't look like a normal page, take forever to scroll through them too)

I tried using this site on the curve but had to go to a computer because it didn't load properly and I was unable to set up an account.

Windows mobile 5 OS is so much more user friendly than this BB OS.

Any tips or tricks to make this phone worth while?
    Sounds like you wanna go back to the Moto Q. It took me some time to get used to my curve. I got a curve 8300, but I love it. I will never go back to a regular phone, I'm hooked on the curve. When I first got my curve, v4.5 wasn't out yet, so it was a little annoying not being able to view emails in HTML format, or watch youtube videos, or record videos, etc... But then v4.5 was released and it made things a lot better. As far as it being a little slow, that's all dependent of the network. I don't know how verizon works, cause I got ATT. My curve is pretty fast when it comes to internet browsing, watching videos, and simply navigating through the phone. My phone uses the "EDGE" connection speed. The trackball is a bit of a pain in the neck sometimes, especially after a while of having the phone and putting it through some heavy use. Just last week I had to replace the trackball because it got stuck where it would only go down, and side to side, but not up. After a while it gets dirty and stuck. To make the screen brighter you can go into options and change the brightness of the screen. I have my screen's brightness set a 100%.

How long ago did you get the phone? If u keep having problems with it, contact verizon and let them know your concerns and maybe they can help you out. I have a friend who has a curve through verizon, and a week after he got the phone, he had to go back to verizon and get a new one cause it was giving him all sorts of weird problems. Also make sure you're getting a "new" phone, and not a "refurbished" phone, cause sometimes they will try an give u a refurbished phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 04:13 AM
    I just got it today. Once I get to a page, that sort of seems to load ok. But it takes forever to open the browser. Then when I want to go somewhere, it says processing script. That takes 10 seconds sometimes, then more to load it. I have a feeling that the cpu in this phone is pretty slow or something. And I'm annoyed with the way webpages look. I guess I'm just used to Windows. I have it now where it isn't in column view but now I have to enlarge the image inorder to see it the correct size and it doesn't all fit on the page. I'm on a few forums like runryder and rcgroups. The page loads but I have to scroll clear through a bunch of crap to get to the main posting areas because the page does not load the same way as it does with Windows. Just doesn't seem right. And if someone posts a picture on one of the forums, the pictures don't load. Never had that problem with the Q. It is nice having youtube though.

Hoping to get this figured out. I really want to enjoy this phone. I still have service with my Q until Wednesday and I think I'm really going to miss it.

Any suggestions to help me learn to like this thing?
    05-25-09 04:31 AM
    The Blackberry browser on the Curve isn't the best by far. If you're looking to view web pages formatted like on a pc you should download a third party browser like: http://www.operamini.com

Click on that link from your BlackBerry.

There is also the Bolt browser though i've never tried that one.

The BlackBerry browser is better suited for viewing WAP (mobile) sites. Make sure your BlackBerry browser is configured properly too.

Browser
    Menu
    Options
    Browser Configuration
    Check ALL boxes

Show Images: On WML & HTML
    Emulation Mode: BlackBerry

Give Opera Mini a shot. i use it for most non WAP sites.

05-25-09 04:44 AM
    To make the screen brighter:

Options
    Screen/Keyboard
    Backlight Brightness: Adjust to preference
    Automatically Dim Backlight: Set to preference

05-25-09 04:46 AM
    To use CrackBerry Mobile:

Browser
    Menu
    Go To
    http://m.crackberry.com

Make sure to remove the www and replace with m.

That is the mobile version of CrackBerry. Loads much quicker and is fast on the BlackBerry browser.

05-25-09 04:49 AM
    To improve scrolling:

Options
    Screen/Keyboard
    Trackball
    Horizontal Sensitivity: Try 80
    Vertical Sensitivity: Try 80

Also, use these shortcuts to navigate quickly:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/tip-...ortcuts-13131/

05-25-09 04:55 AM
    The BOLT browser, as well as other free apps, can be downloaded by clicking the link below from your BlackBerry:

http://m.crackberry.com/otaapps.html

Here is a list of some free games too:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/free-ota-games-111702/

05-25-09 05:01 AM
    Thanks. I did all that and it does seem to be better. Still wish webpages loaded up the same as the Q. On the Q, I can move the entire page to where I need it to be inorder to click on certain things. With the bb, I have to scroll through everything, sometimes a bunch of stuff before I'm where I want to be. I did find that moving the track ball sideways, it scrolls faster. The screen/image quality doesn't seem as good either. This is going to take some getting used to. I am starting to like it a little better though.
    05-25-09 05:56 AM
    Try Opera Mini browser.

It's a free download.

There are shortcuts within Opera Mini too.
    (2,4,6,8)

See what you think of it...

When using the BlackBerry browser, use the space bar to page down quickly.

05-25-09 06:01 AM
    Thanks. Also, is there anything I an do to get better screen resolution? When comparing the curve next to my Q on the same web page, the images and text are much better on the Q and the colors are more vivid. Maybe the Q just has a better screen.

05-25-09 07:32 AM
    8330 is a great device and still have mine as a backup. Dont forget to read through the Tips threads for and the 101 series for some great info. Make sure you update your OS, i have .138 and it rocks. Also you can remove all the preloaded media and applications to free up much needed space. Dont forget to close out of apps completely and clear your logs regularly along with a daily battery pull to keep your berry going strong.

Good Luck, reading and learning everything berry is half the fun, and we are all here to help if needed!
    05-25-09 07:41 AM
    Ok, thanks for the replies. I take it there is nothing to do to get better screen resolution? Really disappointed in the quality of the images and text compared to the Q. I'm starting to like it a little better though. I wish Verizion carried the Q. Has anyone else had a Q and switched to a BB?
    05-25-09 07:46 PM
    Ok, thanks for the replies. I take it there is nothing to do to get better screen resolution? Really disappointed in the quality of the images and text compared to the Q. I'm starting to like it a little better though. I wish Verizion carried the Q. Has anyone else had a Q and switched to a BB?
    Verizon has the Q9c..

I came from a Q9c to the BB 8330 and LOVE it!

I have a Q9c for sale if you decide you want to try it..
    05-25-09 08:06 PM
    Our Verizon store did not carry the Q, they only had one small Motorola phone. So, what do you think about the image/text quality of the Curve? Maybe mine just isn't set right or something but my Q has a much better image/text quality than the Curve. Do I need to do something to get better image quality?

Also, what program is good to use that I can install on my computer to manage the Curve with? Thanks

brandon.r , Please tell me what you like about the 8330 over the Q? They had a buy one get one free special so my wife and I got two for $99. Don't think they will let me trade it in for a Q if they do have one without charging us a bunch more $$.
    Last edited by Aaron1100us; 05-25-09 at 08:15 PM.
    05-25-09 08:13 PM
    I had the Q9M on Verizon. Great phone. I have the 8330 now and would never go back to the Q. Love my BB so much I doubt I would ever switch to anything else.
    05-25-09 08:21 PM
    Can you explain why?
    How is your screen compared to the Q?
    The screen specs are the same but the text look 'fuzzy' on the curve. The text on my Q is more crisp looking. Any idea why the text on my curve isn't as good? Do I need to adjust something?
    Just trying to find ways to make it so I like it.

Last edited by Aaron1100us; 05-25-09 at 08:47 PM.
    05-25-09 08:44 PM
    Well the screen appearance is a bit off from the Q and I'm fairly new to BB as well so I don't know exactly what adjustments you could make to clear it up.

I loved the Q for the media resources, in my opinion the media player trumps the 8330 by far. But as far as applications and programs Blackberry is the way to go. I also think it is easir to use than the Q. Give it a chance and decide on it later. Good luck to ya!!
    05-25-09 08:58 PM
    Thanks. I use my phone mostly for videos/movies, music and the internet. Two clicks on the Q and I'm on google. Easy to kill all programs running at once and the menu is clean and easy to use. I used the TCPMP player on my Q and could watch any video I had on my memory card. My Curve won't play any of my videos, how annoying.

Are there any video programs such as TCPMP or anything else that will allow my Curve to play my videos? I've read about the file converters but thats a huge inconvenience to convert files.

At least I can still use my Q for watching movies and the Curve for phone and internet. But it would be nice if I could get the Curve to operate as good as the Q and have the same screen quality so I don't have to carry around two phones.
    05-25-09 10:36 PM
    Options>Screen/Keyboard>Font Smoothing will help smooth out your text.

05-25-09 11:40 PM
    Thanks, that did seem to help out.
    05-26-09 12:22 AM
    You can change your browser settings from column view to page view. You might like that better??
    05-26-09 10:29 AM
    I had a Q and must say I like the Curve much better!

I use the BB web browser, and keep java disabled so pages load faster. If you run into a page that has to have it you can turn it on for that page.

05-26-09 10:40 AM
    I'll change the browser view from column to page and see how that is. My Wife says she likes hers better than my Q too. I still might go into Verizon today and see if I can change phones. I have a feeling its going to take a lot of getting used to for me to really like this phone. No Wifi on this silly thing either.

I keep hearing that people like their Curve over the Q but no one has really said why yet?
    05-26-09 02:07 PM
    I'll change the browser view from column to page and see how that is. My Wife says she likes hers better than my Q too. I still might go into Verizon today and see if I can change phones. I have a feeling its going to take a lot of getting used to for me to really like this phone. No Wifi on this silly thing either.

I keep hearing that people like their Curve over the Q but no one has really said why yet?
    When did you get your Curve? It sounds like you are looking for more of a media player, so why didn't you get a Storm which has a better screen and better media capabilities over the 8330? Have you read through all the tips threads for the 8330? It sounds like your mind is pretty made up though and that you are going back to your Q
    05-26-09 02:29 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD