Hi All,

Firstly, thanks for the great forum and thanks to all for demonstrating how great the web can be (sometimes...)!

I'm a UK 8310 owner and indeed drink tea - with milk. This isn't normally a problem but I've spilt a cup over my phone. I took it apart, waited some days for it to dry out and there's no obvious damage/staining/marking whatsoever. However, if I put a battery in, the notification led comes on blue, nothing happens. I've tried an alternative battery, some recovery steps I found, etc., all to no avail, so I'm going to buy another.

I'm currently working in Germany and keen to get a replacement as soon as possible but what I can get locally has a QWERTZ keyboard. As I effectively have a spare QWERTY keyboard from my current broken Curve, can I just swap the keyboards? Obviously this in itself will change only the letters I see printed on the keycaps, so can the input keyboard layout also be changed? Or perhaps if the keyboard layout can't be changed, would loading different firmware change the keyboard layout? If the BB OS does allow to select the keyboard layout, that would be absolutely fine as I can cope with a German-language interface. However, I really dislike non-QWERTY keyboard layouts and obviously it would be faster ordering a replacing mobile locally than getting one from the UK sent over.

Many thanks again!
    Fred
    06-02-08 06:49 AM
    I have the same style keyboard. Not sure if changing the keypad will also change input. I thought it was wierd too when I recieved mine - but I've grown used to it. Every now and then I forget the Z and Y are superimposed. Let me know if it works out for you.

BTW - how do you like Vodafone? I'm thinking on switching.
    06-02-08 07:11 AM
    Hi,

I assume changing the physical keyboard will have no effect on what letter appears on the screen - the keyboard is just a printed bit of plastic that sits on top of some buttons. I guess/hope that somewhere in the BB OS the keyboard layout can be selected!

It sounds like you have differering physical/software keyboard layouts, so I hope this is a good sign for me! I guess I'll give it a go and indeed let you know.

For Vodafone, I don't use too many features but it seems OK, there's coverage everywhere I go and I have the distinct impression that data is faster than my other provider, Orange in the UK. However, because I move around a bit between the UK and Germany, the Vodafone Reiseversprechen (known as Vodafone Passport in the UK) service, which makes my roaming calls bill much smaller, is really what sold it for me. Otherwise, although I guess it's not good to say it, I imagine most of the main networks over here are pretty similar these days in terms of features and service... Whatever tariff is best is probably the main factor...

Thanks!
    Fred
    06-02-08 07:32 AM
    thxs for nice inpo
    06-16-11 12:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD