HI..

I am new to this forum although I have spent last few days trying to figure out what I can do with my new Blackberry.. but with no luck so far..

Ok..

I have a Blackberry Curve 8310 with GPS.. and I am with rogers.. but my phone broke so I bought one of the internet .. it is the same phone but.. it is from Vodafone..

What I wanted to do is get it to work like my old phone did especially that I had blackberry maps that I got accustomed to using.. and wanted my email etc. back

So what I did was download the newest desktop manager 4.6 and downloaded newest software from the rogers web page.. But the manager would not show any of my software in the application loader.. for whatever reason and didn't let me erase the apps from the phone.. so I got JavaLoader (Jl Cmmander) and wiped the phone clean.. than I reinstalled the newest software from Rogers but to my surprise I still have the Vodafone settings on my phone and no BB maps.. and no email set up icon for personal email just the one for Enterprise Server..

So I wiped the phone again and installed older Rogers software 4.2 and got my BB maps but when I turn the phone on it still says vodafone and no Icon for setting up email. In email set up I just have the option for email with Enterprise Server?!??! Got mu maps with the older software but the GPS can not catch any sattelites?!?

I was under the impression that when I wipe the phone all the vodafone stuff will be gone and installing ROgers software would put my phone back to the original ROgers setup?

Can anyone help me with this?? Why would my GPS not catch any sattelites? and when I go to the advanced settings/GPS there is no on/off button like my old rogers phone had?

Why would I still have vodafone themes, enterprise network email setup etc after wiping the phone??!?

Any help appreciated?!? I would leave my BB at the state it is as it works ok now but no email/no gps is a P*** off..

BTW I did erase the vendor.xml from the files and that got me to be able to install the rogers software.. I think and also after wiping the phone I reinstalled the desktop manager and the rogers software so there could not be any thing left from my old vodafone setup in the manager but for some reason I still can't get my rogers setting and apps to work fully..

Thanx
    Last edited by Mirek; 05-27-09 at 01:55 PM.
    05-27-09 01:35 PM
    I was just thiinking I don't really care what provider OS I will be running . as long as I could set up my email somehow and get the GPS to find satellites..

So any help would be welcome...
    05-27-09 03:02 PM
    Getting very frustrated with this ... why do I have leftover settings on the phone after doing a wipe... is there any other way to clear EVRYTHING on the curve... After about 10 reinstalls I still get vodafone screen and their stupid enterprise server email setup.... this is ridiculos... all I want is a way to set up my personal email and the GPS to work?!?!??
    05-27-09 07:25 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Each BlackBerry is branded during manufacture to one carrier. That internal branding controls which subset of the OS software is installed.

Your device is getting the Vodaphone themes instead of a Rogers branded device that gets Rogers themes. Trust me, your not missing anything.

When you set up your BIS account with Rogers, you left an entry defining your PIN number. All of your email will be waiting on that device to become active again.

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=rogers

You can log on to Rogers BIS site and change the PIN number to your current device. After that, send the Service books. That should resolve most of your problems.
    05-27-09 08:47 PM
    I already had rogers change my pin for the new phone but I still don't seem to be able to get my email working.. when trying to create email I get message that my email account is not set up.. I have not sent the service book though.. how exactly do you do that?

Also I can't understand why my GPS would not receive any signal from the satellites.. nor have the option to turn on or off... is it possible that Vodafone keeps the GPS turned off unless you sign up for one of the paid gps services like TeleNav.. I have a data plan and I was perfectly happy with using BB maps or apps like google maps.

When I installed the older software on the curve I got BB maps to show up and even got it to download maps.. but still no GPS signal?

I am currently gatering the software to debrand the unit and than I am going to install the OS again and see what happens... as for the vodafone themes and splash screen I don't mind them ... but they are not the real issue..

Thanx for your input...
    05-28-09 01:40 AM
    To send service books to your BB, log in or create an account here:

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=rogers

I assume you had the 8310 unlocked to use it on Rogers? You never mentioned getting an unlocked 8310 or getting an unlock code.

You shouldn't have to debrand your 8310 to get full functionality of your BB, including GPS.
    Last edited by xliderider; 05-28-09 at 02:25 AM.
    05-28-09 02:09 AM
    My Curve is unlocked .. I just didn't mention it I figured that was obvious... I think I can get the email to work like you mentioned.. The thing that really irritates me is that I can't set it up on the actual BlackBerry? I have just a set up app for the enterprise server which is useless for me.. why wouldn't the regular email setup load with my Rogers OS??

Thanx
    05-28-09 02:37 AM
    Well after being up all night.. I have currently debranded the phone and in the midst of reinstalling the OS... guess I will see what happens..
    05-28-09 11:08 AM
    After getting everything installed I am back to square one.. although I have learned a lot about the 8310 ... the debranding was quite interesting and I guess the software I used can also unlock the blackberry so I did learn quite a bit...

I have talked to a guy a Rogers and he has told me that I can't run branded software on an unlocked phone ? I don't believe that is correct but I am not sure from what I read it seems that people are running whatever they like on thier Blacberry's.

But he also pointed out to me that I am not getting the full EDGE connection and he thinks that's why my GPS is not working.. is that possible? Because I think to get the email working I just have to get into my BIS like mentioned above.. but with limited EDGE I might still have a problem getting my phone to work good..

Does anyone know what needs to be done after a new OS install to get the full EDGE connection? Is there some settings I need to change? Can I run Rogers software on an unlocked phone or do I need some other OS that is not carriers specific to use my Curve fully??

Any help welcome?
    05-28-09 11:53 PM
    You should be able to run any carrier's OS as long as you remove the vendor.xml file before loading it to your BB.

It is possible that you will not get full capabilities from your BB if you don't have a good Edge connection. Is your antenna strip damaged? It is under the small bottom cover, the one with the small hole at the bottom of your BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 12:02 AM
    I am not sure about the antenna but the curve is brand new.. just got it few days ago.. I would think the antenna would be ok...
    Last edited by Mirek; 05-29-09 at 11:50 AM.
    05-29-09 12:41 AM
    Is it possible that to get full EDGE coverage I need to call my provider so they can update my pin and IME on their system?
    05-29-09 11:38 AM
    Wow.. I got my old Curve online ... at least I will get my old numbers and Apps back.. I wonder ifinstalling all my settings from the old Curve on my new one will reset my setting and hopefully fix my issues.. I am glad though to get my 300+ adress book entries back... I guess because of all this with the unlocked Curve I learned how to use the desktop manager .. and know now to keep my stuff backed up...
    Last edited by Mirek; 05-29-09 at 11:49 AM.
    05-29-09 11:40 AM
    If anyone would like to debrand their blackberry I can help pointing them to the right files and info... just that since I have learned ** I could share.... also I believe the MFi multiloader can also be used to unlock a fe different blackberrys including the curve .... and it is quite simple to use although I had to run in on my desktop with win xp as Vista was giving me issues...
    05-29-09 11:53 AM
    Just to update my sitution after updating my new blackberry with the settings from my old curve I finally got my regular email Icon, not the bs enterprise server setup and my email works after updating the pin and ime with my provider.. all my numbers are back but I still dont have blackberry maps which I had on my old Curve even though it seemed to be included with the new OS... if anyone know a mobile link to download the blackberry maps I would appreciate as I tried a few with no luck..

Also after talking with rogers and explaining to them about my edge being in small letters not capital they informed me that my sim car is very old and it might be causing issues with the new hardware so I need to get a new one.. my sim card is probably over 5 years old.... so I will be getting that today..
    05-29-09 12:21 PM
    Congrats on getting everything back. Yes, a device switch or a restore from abackup file is a good way to get settings back.

To get BB Maps, if you have a copy of your OS installed on your PC, use Desktop Manger's Application Loader. When the list of installed apps appears on the left, make sure BB Maps is checked off, then click on Next. BB Maps will then be loaded to your BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 12:53 PM
    I also wanted to get my games off my old Curve and put them onto the the new one but even after backing up applicaton data and installing it onto my new hardware I dont seem to get my suff back... can anyone give any advice on using the desktop manager? to bcak up the applications and restore on new curve?

Thanx for any help even though it seems I am talking to myself here.... the main problem is that my fiancee broke my old Curve so I was very p***** off and I had to get over that to start thinking clearly to get this new one to work... it's hard to concentrate when you are mad... she is the one that bought me the unlocked one just to find out I can't get it to work... but now that I have it somewhat working I am getting over the whole issue...
    05-29-09 01:02 PM
    You can get your 3rd party games and apps back by doing this 3rd party backup on your old Curve:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

Then restore to your new Curve.
    05-29-09 01:33 PM
    Here is some of the info that I used to work out my issues.. it all worked well including the debranding/unlocking software...

How to back up your third part software:
    Very easy steps...

Geek Guide: How to Backup and Restore Your 3rd Party Applications | BB Geeks

How to completelly debrand and unlock your Blackberry and possibly make it useless if not carefull:

Support the following models:
    RIM 9500
    RIM 9530
    RIM 9000
    RIM 8900
    RIM 8800
    RIM 8820
    RIM 8300
    RIM 8310
    RIM 8320
    RIM 8350
    RIM 8200
    RIM 8100
    RIM 8110
    RIM 8120
    RIM 8700
    RIM 8707

TO UNLOCK YOUR PHONE: Hit Clear MEP in the Mfi multiloader... just make sure you get all the software mentioned in the threads and use as directed. Works with Xp .. vista gave me issues..

HOW TO: debrand/change Vendor ID on BlackBerry - Shanghai Expat (internet,computer,blackberry)

Or

Unlocking and debranding a blackberry in layman's terms. [Archive] - GSM-Forum

Read both threads...

Link to the thread on here on how to wipe your OS with the JL_Cmder... just in case someone has trouble finding it...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...l_cmder-53502/

Hope I save someone some time.. and aggrevation...
    05-29-09 01:52 PM
    Thank you xliderider for the info.. but I found it before checking the post..
    05-29-09 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD