02-15-10 12:33 PM
28 12
tools
    Hey everyone.

i just got a replacement 8330 from verizon for my wife because the charging port went. im trying to back up all the info from her old one so i can restore all her themes and contacts to her new replacement. am i screwed because i never did a backup? also, what can i do to get her contacts to her new phone without having to put each individual one back in? im at a loss and she's getting pissed at me because of this issue.

much help is greatly appreciated
    05-04-09 09:42 PM
    Ouch. So the charging / USB port is totally dead? Won't allow you to connect to charger or to PC?

If you can get the phone to work long enough, you could try Google Sync to Synchronize her contacts, then do same back onto new device. As for the Themes, you should be able to download them, unless they aren't available any more
    05-04-09 09:48 PM
    Well if the the USB port is bad on the old phone then you are not going to be able to use DM to switch devices. You might be able to transfer the address book via Bluetooth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-09 09:50 PM
    im talking deader than a door nail. i tried to hook her old 8330 to my laptop and desktop manager 4.7 isnt even recognizing it. its not even showing its plugged in.

how can i sync with google without having to screw anything up? like i said, i don't wanna screw with this cuz she is pissed as it is that the verizon store couldn't transfer the contacts to her new phone.

should i just tell her that she needs to do it manually or is there an easier way to sync just by using her phone?
    05-04-09 09:52 PM
    blackngray...how can i transfer using bluetooth? my laptop isn't bluetooth capable
    05-04-09 09:53 PM
    If you still have the old phone you can do it phone to phone.

05-04-09 09:56 PM
    The phones are Bluetooth capable, and if you look in your Blutooth options, there is an option to transfer the address book.

05-04-09 09:57 PM
    As for Google, download Google Sync. If you don't want it to screw anything up on your "normal" gmail account, setup a new account and sync to that. Then verify that all the contacts show up on the new account the way you want them. I found that it "changes" the formatting of my phone numbers when I used it (deletes "+" sign in front of numbers and removes () around area code). But if your's doesn't have that issue, you'll be ok. Then sync to new device after registering it on network.
    05-04-09 10:00 PM
    ok. where can i go to find out how to transfer all of my wife's contacts via bluetooth from phone to phone, is it easy to do, and if i can get any more information like tranferring themes or whatnot, all the help is greatly appreciated
    05-04-09 10:00 PM
    Go to the Set Up Bluetooth icon on the new BB and select allow another device to find me. Then from the old BB open the Set Up Bluetooth icon and select search for devices from here. When the devices are paired open the Set Up Bluetooth icon then press the menu button and select transfer address book.

05-04-09 10:21 PM
    its not letting me send it via bluetooth. there is no option to transfer address book.
    05-04-09 10:34 PM
    There is no option to send address book on the old phone?

05-04-09 10:36 PM
    when i go to set up the bluetooth on both phones, on the old phone, it shows its paired up with the new phone but there is another icon called picturekiosk. what is that and when i click the menu button on that, that's where i can transfer my address book but it won't do it
    05-04-09 10:39 PM
    I also recommend Google Sync. Plus its something you'll want on the new Berry so this doesn't happen again.

05-04-09 10:40 PM
    the old 8330 is deactivate and the new one is activated. is that a problem?
    05-04-09 10:43 PM
    That's not the problem. I don't know what the picturekiosk is. Is the new phone in the list of paired devices?

05-04-09 10:51 PM
    yes. but when i hit the menu button, there is no option to transfer the addressbook
    05-04-09 10:54 PM
    I recomend a back up once a week on all devices. make it a habit i know it wont help now but i will in the future.
    05-04-09 10:58 PM
    In the bluetooth options make sure address book transfer is enabled. Then highlight the new BB in the list and press menu and select device properties and set trusted to yes.

05-04-09 11:00 PM
    ive done that on both devices. i guess im s**t outta luck and will have to have my wife manually input each number from her old phone to her new one

damn technology!
    05-04-09 11:01 PM
    Sorry man, I tried to help. I don't know why the transfer address book option isn't there.

05-04-09 11:04 PM
    thanks for ur help anyways blackngray. i guess the old fashioned way is gonna have to do for now. she's gonna hate me when i tell her but oh well.
    05-04-09 11:05 PM
    From now on anytime you add a app, theme, contact, calender entry or anything you should connect to DM and run a backup because you never know what's going to happen.

05-04-09 11:11 PM
    oh i will do that in the future. just sucks that i can't transfer her contacts via bluetooth and im not gonna set up a gmail account to do it that way. old fashioned is the way to go i guess.
    05-04-09 11:18 PM
    What if you copy the address book to the SIM card in the old phone, then put the SIM card back in the new phone and copy from card to phone?

Ug, Verizon. Nevermind... But is there any way to copy the contacts to a media card?
    05-05-09 08:14 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD