Hey guys I have made a little discovery today that has me a little worried. I have T-Mobile and in my computer class in college I never get signal. Well today I received a text message, which is very unsual due to all of the computers in the room, and when I look at my screen it displays ATT and I have two bars. At first I thought "Great! Now I can get signal from ATT for free" but then I remembered "Wait nothing is free" so I then began to think that I am getting charged roaming but then again why would T-Mobile use ATT's towers for roaming and my phone has never done this before. My phone is not unlocked. I can even use the internet. Can anybody answer this please? Thanks

ReyRey
    03-12-09 11:31 AM
    I called about roaming with tmobile before I switched to sprint. The person I was talking to said, tmobile has alot of *sister companies* when switched to roaming, *trying to get me to stay with tmobile, but its impossible*

As far as your roaming charges, you'd have to call.
    03-12-09 11:35 AM
    Sometimes this does happen.. Cell phones work by transmitting information to a tower which transfers the information to an MTSO.. which transfers the info back to the tower. Some GSM and CDMA carriers share towers with other GSM and CDMA carriers. And as you move from one cell site to the next, the system hands off you phone to the next closest towder. The tower tells the handsetto tune to a different frequency to pick up the call or text. and sometimes it will be a tower from another carrier of the same technology.. CDMA or GSM.. hope that wasnt to confusing.
    03-12-09 11:43 AM
    So dop you think that I would be charged extra for all of this? For now I got scared and manually changed back to tmobile just in case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 11:48 AM
    You would have to call Tmobile and ask them, I know with ATT we dont charge for it. When this happens Tmobile is getting charged by ATT to provide you service while not in there service range.
    03-12-09 11:51 AM
    huh i didnt know about this
    03-12-09 11:51 AM
    I roam on a daily basis. While its only for about 20 mins, I have have been charged extra.I'm on t mobile as well. I try not to use it when I roam but sometimes I have to call the office. Never really gave it much thought but it does make me wonder a little bit now

03-12-09 12:01 PM
    Sorry for the double post but edit isn't working right for me.

I obviously meant never instead of have. I normally have to force it to roam. It will sometimes pick up att or corr wireless on its own but it doesn't keep it when it does pick it up

03-12-09 12:09 PM
    I didn't know this either. I just got off the phone with T-Mobile and since I have a Nationwide plan it switchs towers like tae said. WHOOO!!! ::sigh of relief:: thanks again guys for all of your help. This is really the best website on the Internet. Even better than YouTube! LOL. thanks guys

ReyRey
    03-12-09 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD