So AT&T and Rogers will soon release the Curve 8320 (wifi) even though the Javelin should be out within the foreseeable future. Is there still that huge demand for a Curve? I thought people looking for a new Blackberry or upgrade will hold back either for the Bold or Javelin as the new "upgraded" devices, instead of buying a now phasing out Curve. Whats your take on this?

Although I can see some people jumping at $0/3yrs activation on FREE Pearl/Curve at The Source, BUT ITS FREE, so thats a different story.
    09-22-08 03:10 PM
    When the Javelin hits the stores, the Curve will be toast.
    09-22-08 03:14 PM
    When the Javelin hits the stores, the Curve will be toast.
    Can I ask why---my curve does everything I need it to do, why would I need the Javelin?
    09-22-08 03:20 PM
    Can I ask why---my curve does everything I need it to do, why would I need the Javelin?
    Because some people strive to the have the latest/greatest gadget
    09-22-08 03:25 PM
    You wouldn't, I suppose, but for a lot of people the Javelin offers a lot more than the Curve does.

- Better CPU
    - More flash memory
    - Ridiculously better screen
    - Better OS
    - High speed USB
    - WiFi + GPS
    - 3.2 MP camera

That is a lot of reasons to upgrade.
    09-22-08 03:26 PM
    AND the javelin is already exclusive to T-Mobile in the US since AT&T had locked up the Bold/was built just for AT&T.

so to shore up the hole in the market for a midrange device with wifi, they picked up the 8320 since it will be a while before the exclusivity agreement runs out on the curve's replacement on AT&T's network. it was also to help begin their new ad campaign of unifying their wired and wireless services by tying in their expanding wifi hotspot locations. you'll soon start seeing them advertise combining a wireless package together with DSL and a home phone as their DSL and U-Verse packages come with free wifi access.
    09-22-08 03:35 PM
    I'm really not thinking about upgrading my curve. who knows that might change..but as for now my curve does everything I need it to do.
    09-22-08 03:45 PM
    On the other hand, we all know that the Curve was the best phone out there until the Bold + others hit.

Now there will be a chance to pick one up at a bargain basement price.

Make no mistake, the Curve will still be a great phone in two years time. We know that OS 5.0 will comeout sometime in the next 12 months with a number of new features. The Curve will hold its own against many other newer phones for a looong time to come.

The carriers will love it too because here's a cheap phone that they can sell an expensive data plan with.
    Last edited by Pete6; 09-22-08 at 04:32 PM.
    09-22-08 04:29 PM
    You can always get the older model for a cheaper price. Like 8700g is $100 cheaper than the Curve at T-Mobile. But people always want the newest toys.
    09-22-08 04:36 PM
    On the other hand, we all know that the Curve was the best phone out there until the Bold + others hit.

Now there will be a chance to pick one up at a bargain basement price.

Make no mistake, the Curve will still be a great phone in two years time. We know that OS 5.0 will comeout sometime in the next 12 months with a number of new features. The Curve will hold its own against many other newer phones for a looong time to come.

The carriers will love it too because here's a cheap phone that they can sell an expensive data plan with.
    The only question is; how well are these operating systems going to run on the Curve? The Curve isn't a very powerful phone, OS 4.2 and 4.5 are sluggish, there are delays when doing almost anything. That is huge for someone like me. I can't stand sluggish devices, including computers, phones, whatever it may be. And I know I'm not the only person out there who feels this way.

Anyways, the Bold and Javelin reportedly are very smooth, slim to no delays when navigating the menus.
    09-22-08 04:41 PM
    The only question is; how well are these operating systems going to run on the Curve? The Curve isn't a very powerful phone, OS 4.2 and 4.5 are sluggish, there are delays when doing almost anything. That is huge for someone like me. I can't stand sluggish devices, including computers, phones, whatever it may be. And I know I'm not the only person out there who feels this way.

Anyways, the Bold and Javelin reportedly are very smooth, slim to no delays when navigating the menus.
    for every one of you, there are 10 more who will buy it only because it's cheap, it's a blackberry, and they will buy it without data anyways. it will continue to serve the consumer space very well, while businesses upgrade to newer devices, power users will shell out for new ones, and people who just "cant be seen with something so old, like, oh my god" will by a few here and there.
    09-22-08 04:46 PM
    I am not sure if the curve will still have the same market pull that it once did once the javelin or bold come out, but the curve has proven it self to be one of the most reliable bb's made. I am curently using a rogers bold unlocked on AT&T but I always have my curve close by in case I ever need a back up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-08 05:04 PM
    I'm with oakie. If I had a choice of an 8310 for $50 or an iPhone for $150 (whatever the price is...) I'd take the Blackberry every time and go home happy thinking what a good deal I'd done.

Like I said earlier this is a great deal for carriers to sell plans. They won;t miss that.

There's also many corporate deals to be done for the Curve too. Many corps. are still on 87xx series phones. What price could you buy 5000 8310s for from T-Mobile in 12 months time?
    09-22-08 05:08 PM
    I'm with oakie. If I had a choice of an 8310 for $50 or an iPhone for $150 (whatever the price is...) I'd take the Blackberry every time and go home happy thinking what a good deal I'd done.

Like I said earlier this is a great deal for carriers to sell plans. They won;t miss that.

There's also many corporate deals to be done for the Curve too. Many corps. are still on 87xx series phones. What price could you buy 5000 8310s for from T-Mobile in 12 months time?
    Well now you're comparing apples to oranges. Would it be the same scenario if it was $50 for a Curve, and $150 for a Bold or Javelin? Just curious, I thought that was a strange example since you threw an iPhone in there.
    09-22-08 05:23 PM
    Once the Javelin drops the curve will have a hard time keeping sales up. But in my mind it should have a hard time once the better BB is on the market.
    09-22-08 06:05 PM
    The curve is going to be a selling point. The device is rock solid, handles everything that auser will want for the next year and still out paces the winmo devices that are currently being released as new devices today.

This will give RIM the ability to market to every ones budget.

Me I am waiting on the Javelin to hit the market and I am jumping all over it. At that point I am hoping that T-Mo will have a berry at a low price point ($50 or there about) so that I can upgrade my daughter to something better then my old Razr (Ya ok call me a fool but my 12yo is way dependable with the cell bill and her txt msgs) Plus it is just one more thing to **** off my ex-wife about.

So I think the curve will have another year or two of life left in it's wonderful little case. I have to say this is the only phone I have ever been 100% satisfied with and if it was not for being a bleeding edge geek I would not replace it in the near future.
    09-22-08 07:09 PM
    I think that the curve will continue to be successful regardless of the javelin. With the cost of the javelin, most users would probably choose a curve over a pearl if price is a factor..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-08 07:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD