I have a user traveking in Hong Kong and they are reporting back the following status on their Blackberry. The (network) EDGE jumps between upper and lower case, it also switched between AT&T and CSL(or CLS). They also report intermittently recieving emails and not being able to send emails (even when using reply). Is their a site that lists what the various statuses mean? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Habitant; 04-11-08 at 07:39 AM.
    04-11-08 07:26 AM
    I know some things here and I am sure that other people can answer the rest.

- EDGE means that the phone is seeing edge and that it has established a valid data connection back to the server.

- edge means that the phone can see the edge network but has no valid connection (it can't login).

- switching between carriers is caused by two things :
    1. you are not in a territory where the SIM card can find its home (the one you signed up with) network.
    and whilst there,
    2. The phone is set to roam it's network. Go to Options > Mobile Network here you will find that 'Network Selection Mode' is set to automatic.

Clearly emails can only be sent and received when a valid GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA or HSUPA network connection has been made i.e. uppercase letters.

You user need to find a network that give her/him an uppercase EDGE or GPRS signal, note the name of this carrier and go into Options > Mobile Network and set the network to be 'Manual' on the list that wil be displayed once the user selects Manual. It will take some time whilst the phone searches for all the available networks. Select the one that was providing EDGE and Robert is you sister's brother.

Hope this helps - Pete
    Last edited by Pete6; 04-11-08 at 11:35 AM.
    04-11-08 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD