I currently have an 8330 on Verizon and am considering switching to Sprint due to the open nature of their phones.

I'd like to know if anyone here has installed the Google Maps Mobile app on a Sprint 8330. Is it able to get a fix from the phones internal GPS? If so, do you have to do any tricks to make Google Maps find the internal GPS (e.g. leave the BB Maps app open, etc).

What apps are included with Sprints 8330? Does it come with the BB Map app? My Verizon phone came with a Facebook app.

What is Sprint's network like? Is it fast like Verizon's? Is coverage pretty spotty?

Thanks for any help.
    07-24-08 09:31 AM
    What do you mean by "open nature?"

Yes, Sprint's Curve comes with BB Maps.

I've had no problems with Sprint's network. I do live in a major metro city, but I couldn't be happier. And yes, their data service is fast like Verizon's.
    07-24-08 09:38 AM
    ^^^Thanks for the reply. When I say "Open Nature" I am referring to Sprint allowing thrid party apps to get a location fix from the BlackBerry's internal GPS. Verizon blocks this ability, so BB Maps and Google Maps can't locate you on their maps. They want their customers to use their product called VZNavigator (which fills a different market than Google Maps, or BB Maps).
    07-24-08 10:04 AM
    from what i hear, sprint can't do MMS messages, which blows.
    07-24-08 10:06 AM
    Ok, well I'm not familiar with VZW phones/apps, but Sprint Navigation works quite well. Sprint would be glad to have you, but VZW is a darn good company.
    07-24-08 10:08 AM
    The only difference is that Sprint's 8330 comes in a different color (which some prefer) and the GPS is not locked. Also, as asylvia said above, Sprint does not support MMS on their BB's.

Sprint's coverage, customer service and reliability are FAR worse than Verizon's; thus I would recommend sticking with the best carrier.
    07-24-08 10:29 AM
    I currently have an 8330 on Verizon and am considering switching to Sprint due to the open nature of their phones.

I'd like to know if anyone here has installed the Google Maps Mobile app on a Sprint 8330. Is it able to get a fix from the phones internal GPS? If so, do you have to do any tricks to make Google Maps find the internal GPS (e.g. leave the BB Maps app open, etc).

What apps are included with Sprints 8330? Does it come with the BB Map app? My Verizon phone came with a Facebook app.

What is Sprint's network like? Is it fast like Verizon's? Is coverage pretty spotty?

Thanks for any help.
    IMO Sprint has 2 things over verizon when it comes to the Curve........The 30 dollar BB package which offers the most features for the cheapest price (Unlimited Web, Email, Text, GPS, and Sprint TV) and the unlocked GPS.
    07-24-08 11:12 AM
    I would say the sprint package beats verizon's however Verizon has wayy more EV-DO coverage and they support MMS.
    07-24-08 11:16 AM
    I just recently switched from a moto Q with sprint to a verizon BB curve. Sprint is lacking in one major area. with Blackberry's you can not send or recieve MMS messaging of any sort (well, you can through regular e-mail I guess). I dreaded leaving sprint because I had been so happy with their service for so long, however the move was a good change. If you don' tcare about MMS and do care about GPS then it may be a good move, but if you want to be able to MMS at all don't go to Sprint...
    07-24-08 11:24 AM
    Wow, this is good information. I did not know Sprint doesn't support MMS. I love these forums. Thanks!

I think the best case scenario would be to try to lobby Verizon to unlock the GPS, either for free, or through a fee of some sort. Most likely nothing will come of it, but maybe it is worth a try.

Honestly, I would be perfectly happy to pay the $10 monthly fee for VZNavigator if it would unlock the internal GPS for Google Maps and all other third party apps.
    07-24-08 11:40 AM
    Sprint's EVDO coverage actually beats Verizon's and customer service is dramatically better then it was a year ago. I have the 8330 and love google maps etc. I send pictures, voice recordings and videos etc with email, blackberry messenger or JiveTalk.
    07-24-08 01:32 PM
    One thing that has not been mentioned although aluded to is the SEP for $99. VZW's nearest comparable plan is $30 or $40 more. I like Sprint most of the time. I can't say the same about VZW.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-08 01:42 PM
    I have used both...We just ported from Sprint to Verizon

1. Sprint does have navigation and sprint tv and sprint music store, however navigation thru sprint cost 9.99 same as Vz navigator is purchased seperately.

I never used the TV or music store and my husband paid for the Navigation just like we do now with VZW, So I feel like Im not missing out by goin to VZW.

2. Verizon does do pic mail which is nice so I dont have to email pics to people. Sprint you have to email everything!

3. We left Sprint after 2 yrs b/c customer svc sucks and IMO is getting worse!! I used several phones before I got the curve and Hands down it was the best. But our service wasnt always the greatest and I hated sitting on the phone for an hr at a time trying to get issues resolved.

We pay maybe $20-30 more/ mo now with VZW but it is definitely better all the way around.
    07-24-08 02:00 PM
    Just for clarification Sprint Navigation is included with their SEP. Not trying to be confrontational just wanted to make sure you received the correct information.

07-24-08 02:07 PM
    To Clarify my response...I know that navigation is included in SEP...I did note it is 9.99 if purchased seperately which is same amount as VZ navigator.
    07-24-08 02:11 PM
    Sprint navigation is also included in the $30 blackberry plan.
    07-24-08 02:12 PM
    its actually not all that hard to send and recieve mms on sprint....although you dont have a dedicated picture mail box, you will still recieve mms just fine, the only trick is in sending the mms...all you have to do is add the pic mail email address to the contact you want to send it to....if you do a search on here its very easy to find the standard email for each carrier, you just put the phone number before the "@".....imo, people get way to worked up over this....
    Unless they changed it in the last 3 weeks MMS never goes through. We tried several times with friends with sprint BB and because the "picture mail box" that sprint uses is not compatable with a blackberry, it never went through. You can send MMS pics through e-mail (phonenumber@vzw...) but there are restrictions. For example out of about 50 attempts to send pics to verizon users only 3 have gone through. It's spotty at best. If I didn't use MMS as much as I do for work I probably would have stayed with sprint though.
    07-24-08 04:02 PM
    Well this is my first Blackberry and I love it. I have the Sprint Service and I have not had a problem with customer service. They have always been helpful with any questions that I ask. The Navigation comes with the SEP and you can receive pictures in a test but you cannot send via text. I dont really have a problem with that. With Verizon u pay an extra $40 so that is an extra $40 in my pocket. I love Sprint and dont think I will ever switch.
    07-24-08 04:55 PM
    I have Sprint and loving it. I do get annoyed with the MMS situation but its not the end of the world! However, for the most part you an just email pictures. This does not work however with sending pictures to people with Verizon because I have yet to figure out how to send them pictures. Emailing them and using 811.com has not worked for me!
    07-24-08 05:32 PM
    Sprint's EVDO coverage actually beats Verizon's
    You're kidding, right?

Sprint picture - dark orange = EV-DO
    Verizon picture - dark blue = EV-DO
    07-24-08 07:46 PM
    You get what you pay for. Sprint is worse that is why they are cheaper, only thing worse than sprint is metro pcs which uses Sprint's old service. Verizon has better everything except locking the GPS, but w/ the $9.99 VZnavigator, you also can get gas prices, traffic reports and alerts, events in the area and a few others. I would rather pay Sprint prices, but years ago when I had them, my signal would come and go by only moving a foot or 2.

07-24-08 08:35 PM
    its actually not all that hard to send and recieve mms on sprint....although you dont have a dedicated picture mail box, you will still recieve mms just fine, the only trick is in sending the mms...all you have to do is add the pic mail email address to the contact you want to send it to....if you do a search on here its very easy to find the standard email for each carrier, you just put the phone number before the "@".....imo, people get way to worked up over this....
    Here's the pic mail addresses:

Altell - [email protected]
    ATT - [email protected]
    Sprint - [email protected]
    T-Mobile - [email protected]
    Verizon - [email protected]
    US Cellular - [email protected]
    Nextel - [email protected]

As mentioned earlier in this thread, this method does not work very reliably with Verizon, but works well with the other carriers.

For the people that you send pic mail to often, add their pic mail address into their contact entry in your address book. It's then a snap to access their pic mail address when it comes time to send them a pic mail!

07-24-08 08:49 PM
    Sprint doesn't have MMS, and their coverage definitely is not as good as Verizon's
    07-24-08 08:51 PM
    I can't comment on Verizon's coverage, but have always felt Sprint's coverage is excellent. I've travelled to many parts of the CONUS and seldom had issues with signal strength. Rural areas will sometimes induce roaming behavior, but I suspect this is not unique to Sprint. I've had Sprint for 10 years and have had many, different phones...I've never considered signal strength/coverage to be an issue.

07-24-08 09:37 PM
    I used to work for sprint, obviously I had multiple sprint and nextel phones, and now I work for verizon. Now, understand, I am NOT biased. I want whatever is best for the customer in any situation, and Verizon is better than Sprint. Not only is the customer service better with Big Red, but the service actually IS better. Not just EVDO but voice service also. I suppose to a certain degree it depends on where you live so you would just ultimately have to find out for yourself.

Good luck!

07-25-08 06:48 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD