I was reading the post about how to make your phone a modem and saw that Sprint users can download Smart View and it does the work. Also it says if you have an unlimited data plan (ie. Simply Everything Plan) then it doesn't cost anything. Does the Everything Data plan constitute as an unlimited data plan? The "ie" confuses me cuz it could either be just that plan or a plan like that which I'm pretty sure the Everything Data Plan is about the same. Thanks!
    08-01-09 12:57 PM
    What is SmartView?
    08-01-09 01:01 PM
    It sets up your phone to be used as a modem. All you do is download the Sprint View program and plug in your BB and it connects your computer up to the internet through the phone.
    08-01-09 01:07 PM
    But I wouldn't recommend doing it because I'm not sure if it's gonna cost anything. So far I have not been charged that I've seen but I used it for about 2 minutes. I would like to know if it will charge me so if anyone does know that'd be great. I'd like to really use this but I don't want to be charged.
    08-01-09 01:09 PM
    I've been told by the store reps that using the phone as a modem is not covered and that it wouldn't work unless you add the option on your plan. In reading other threads, it seems you can connect and many have said there is no charge. So officially you should have to pay for it, but for those who care to cheat the system, it appears you can get it with no charge....for now.
    08-01-09 05:41 PM
    I have been using my phone as a modem (PAM) for a long time on the Sprint network. I am actually tethering without smart view, DM 4.7 only. I just have DM running in the background. To do it, all you do is open up your device manager in Windows (right click on My Computer and click Properties then the Hardware tab and then Device Manager), look for Ports (Com&LPT) and expand that. You should see two RIM Coms, the lower of the two is your modem, remember that Com number. Create a new dialup connection manually using a dialup modem, pick the standard modem with the Com port you should have remembered, type whatever ISP name you want with the phone number as #777 and leave the user name and pass blank, at least for sprint. It worked like a charm for me.

I have used this setup on several computers without a hitch, just make sure DM is running in the background.

Sprint tells you that you have to pay for the service, but why pay if you can do it for free...
    08-02-09 02:25 AM
    I have been using my phone as a modem (PAM) for a long time on the Sprint network. I am actually tethering without smart view, DM 4.7 only. I just have DM running in the background. To do it, all you do is open up your device manager in Windows (right click on My Computer and click Properties then the Hardware tab and then Device Manager), look for Ports (Com&LPT) and expand that. You should see two RIM Coms, the lower of the two is your modem, remember that Com number. Create a new dialup connection manually using a dialup modem, pick the standard modem with the Com port you should have remembered, type whatever ISP name you want with the phone number as #777 and leave the user name and pass blank, at least for sprint. It worked like a charm for me.

I have used this setup on several computers without a hitch, just make sure DM is running in the background.

Sprint tells you that you have to pay for the service, but why pay if you can do it for free...
    Interesting. I have been tethering with Sprint and using *99# with success. Does anyone know if it makes a difference? What IS the difference? Lately I have noticed that my phone dispays a message at the top that says its in modem mode, or something to that effect. Is that just new with the .160 OS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 04:49 AM
    Thats a good question, I may call Sprint and ask. When I do I'll let you know what they tell me!
    08-02-09 08:53 AM
    okay, I did some research on Sprint's website. I'm not sure what plan you have but we have the Everything Data Share for Family w/the 1500 minutes...

I clicked on more about what's included in this plan and it specifically says.. phone as a modem or tethering not included..

I tried to post links and It won't let me b/c I don't have 10 posts yet.. Sorry!
    08-02-09 08:58 AM
    Bump to see if any of the gurus know what the difference is between dialing *99# and #777 when tethering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 01:21 PM
    The Smart View software (downloaded from Sprint, and matched to your BB model), does work well for us.
    There is an additional charge in addition to unlimited data. The speed is G3, and comparable to the air cards usually. (i'm testing a G4 card now though).
    08-06-09 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD