Just bought Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330. (new Blackberry user)

Two issues:
    1. I need html. current Sprint 4.3 OS doesn't support. I understand that 4.5 OS does. Sprint Tech Support telss me that 4.5 is not compatible with my phone. "It will Crash it" Is this true? Perhaps I made a mistake buying this model.

2. Assuming 4.5 will work in this phone, I want to increase the memory. I understand that there are MicroSD cards ranging up to 16GB. What is the highest size that is compatible? Also, what is the difference between MicroSD and MicroSDHD?

Thanks for the help.

MJB
    11-14-08 02:10 PM
    Sprint is wrong

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-08 02:11 PM
    a lot of people on here have 4.5 of their sprint 8330...
    11-14-08 02:13 PM
    Asking Sprint is less reliable than picking a random person off the street and asking them.
    11-14-08 02:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I've seen a post on this forum that details how to upgrade. So I will follow it to the letter. Any other recommendations?

Also, will Sprint TV, Sprint Navigation and all the other programs that came with my phone continue to function?

Thanks,

MJB
    11-14-08 02:21 PM
    all functions will work as before the upgrade
    11-14-08 02:22 PM
    Keep in mind that when you upgrade, it will void the warranty
    11-14-08 02:22 PM
    ^^^ it sure does ^^^
    11-14-08 02:23 PM
    Keep in mind that when you upgrade, it will void the warranty
    why does it void the warranty?
    11-14-08 02:26 PM
    I've upgraded the os on multiple blackberries and not once have they said anything to me about it not having 4.3 when I take it in to have it serviced
    11-14-08 02:31 PM
    I've upgraded the os on multiple blackberries and not once have they said anything to me about it not having 4.3 when I take it in to have it serviced
    I think it means they won't SUPPORT it if you have questions about the operations of the phone. Like asking about HTML mail or something that's only available on 4.5. If something can be fixed that ISN'T caused by the OS, or is a hardware problem they wouldn't notice, in all likelihood.
    11-14-08 02:41 PM
    What really happens is that if you tell tech support you're running 4.5, some of them won't help you. Most of the time when you need to make a warranty exchange, the OS you're running won't come up. Keep in mind that they can be sticklers and not honor the warranty if the problem requiring an exchange is OS related.

That said many, many of us run unsupported OS's with very few problems. To answer your second question, media cards are only for storing media files and documents. You cannot install or run applications from your card, so installing a large card will allow you to store lots of music, pictures and stuff like movies and docs to go files. It won't increase the memory available for applications or increase your file free numbers -- except that you won't need device memory for media files.

11-14-08 02:41 PM
    I think it means they won't SUPPORT it if you have questions about the operations of the phone. Like asking about HTML mail or something that's only available on 4.5. If something can be fixed that ISN'T caused by the OS, or is a hardware problem they wouldn't notice, in all likelihood.
    And besides, if you need to get it serviced, you can just put 4.3 back on it.
    11-14-08 02:44 PM
    I also have Sprint service, the 8330 and I have 4.5.0.97 installed. All Sprint apps work just fine. In fact, the phone has no issues at all.
    11-14-08 06:22 PM
    Sprint 8330 here, no issues with 4.5 at all.
    11-14-08 07:10 PM
    Sprint 8330 with 4.5.0.97 - no issues. Everything works perfect.

11-15-08 01:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD