LAPTOP Mag just did a solid post on the Sprint Curve versus the Verizon Curve...

blog.laptopmag.com/blackberry-curve-8330-face-off-sprint-vs-verizon-wireless

I am a long standing Verizon customer and want to upgrade my 8830 to a Curve for the camera, etc. But I am wondering, should I head for Sprint?

What do you guys think?
    05-09-08 09:00 PM
    The only difference I saw was speed and it was a 4-second difference, tops. Dont see any real reason to jump ship.
    05-09-08 09:05 PM
    what article did you read. the article i read showed a diffrence on average of 10 secs slower for verizon. some times as much as 14 seconds. plus 99 a month you get unlimited everything. how can you beat that. fastest data, low price, more toys, sounds good to me. If they go out of business and they are not. atleast you have a way out of your contract. lol.
    05-09-08 09:30 PM
    I would hardly think about switching to a carrier that is continually having customer service and wireless coverage problems for a couple added features on a phone. That's my 2 cents but that sounds kind of silly that you'd jump ship based solely off of an initial review by laptop magazine.
    05-09-08 09:36 PM
    what article did you read. the article i read showed a diffrence on average of 10 secs slower for verizon. some times as much as 14 seconds. plus 99 a month you get unlimited everything. how can you beat that. fastest data, low price, more toys, sounds good to me. If they go out of business and they are not. atleast you have a way out of your contract. lol.
    CNN.com: 10 seconds
    ESPN.com: 9 seconds
    WSJ.com: 9 seconds
    Laptopmag.com: 14 seconds
    Average: 10.5 seconds

CNN.com: 6 seconds
    ESPN.com: 8 seconds
    WSJ.com: 8 seconds
    Laptopmag.com: 18 seconds
    Average: 10 seconds

The question is, what article did you read? And what school did you go to that didnt teach you math?
    05-09-08 09:40 PM
    hey all, big fan of CrackBerry.com so I figure it's about time I register. As the author of the article I wanted to explain. That last sentence of the article is a bit hazy, I don't necessarily recommend Sprint as a carrier, but I think its Curve is a great phone worth recommending so far, after first impressions. That's not to say the Verizon Wireless one isn't as stellar, and we'll see in the full reviews which one comes out on top. But it's great to see Sprint stepped it up by throwing on Sprint TV and Sprint Music Store, they're welcome features that I love in Sprint's 8130 as well.

What we're really interested in finding out, and I'll hear more on Monday from Verizon Wireless, is if anyone else is experiencing troubles getting the 1XEV logo to appear on the homescreen. Data tests with other 1XEV Verizon Wireless BlackBerrys were on par, but the logo won't show up on our device.
    05-09-08 09:53 PM
    With both being CDMA and Sprint roaming (for free) on VZ's network, I find the Sprint signal to be just as good as Verizon's signal.

This is from someone that had ALL carriers at least twice with different company phones...

For the price, you can't beat it... I've never had a problem they didn't fix ASAP. Verizon never gave a crap any of the 3 times I was with them. To me, they're way too much $$$ and really don't discount or give like Sprint does...

If Sprint didn't offer free roaming, I'd have a VERY different opinion.

My BB "everything" plan is about 55 bucks a month with them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-08 12:14 AM
    1XEV shows up on mine...
    05-10-08 02:59 AM
    Though Sprints release date was a little late the data rate speed is much faster than VZW. Not to offend anyone but that is just my opinion as a ex-VZW user.
    05-10-08 03:49 AM
    Seems to me like it would depend on the phone and location.

Oh well, I'll take the better voice coverage and customer service anyday. =)
    05-10-08 04:07 AM
    Sprint is the 2 worst cellphone carrier in america consumer reports had them 3 and 4 in reception and service and of course number 1 was mostly verizon and sometimes alltel.
    05-10-08 08:57 AM
    don't forget that VZW crippled the GPS, while Sprint does not!!!
    05-10-08 10:11 AM
    Sprints coverage is very poor would never leave vzw for sprint

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-08 12:01 PM
    Coverage depends on the area that you're in. Around me, Verizon is the best. But other places could be completely the opposite.
    05-10-08 12:14 PM
    Here in So Cal I get coverage in areas where friends on VZW have nothing or constantly drop calls. When it comes to coverage its all about how saturated the carrier is with cell sites.

As for the phone to phone comparison well, right now the sCurve has the edge it might be slight but its still there.
    05-10-08 12:25 PM
    I posted a REPLY to that LAPTOP MAG article. Punch-line: It was a bad test. Read on...

As I appriciate the comparison of the two devices, a true comparison can only be accomplished in a test environment that is equal for both devices. Both devices must show “EV1X” in capital letters, and both must recieve FULL strength signal bars. That may mean testing the two devices in different locations. If one device is only getting 1X, than that device is only working on the 2G network, and not on 3G EVDO. Thus, the speeds will be different. Cell sites are not all in the same location. If Sprint, in your test, was getting a good EV1X signal, and Verizon was not, than go down the street. You’ll probably find a location where Verizon is getting a strong EV1X signal, and Sprint is not. Again, we need to compare apples to apples!

Additionally, I thank you for the Theme comparison, but do not find this information useful. If you do not like the Sprint or Verizon Themes, one can always default to the pre-loaded Blackberry themes which are identical. Also, with all the blackberry junkies (like myself) out here, a user can go find the theme that best suits them for under $7 or even free at Crackberry.com.
    05-10-08 12:26 PM
    I posted a REPLY to that LAPTOP MAG article. Punch-line: It was a bad test. Read on...

As I appriciate the comparison of the two devices, a true comparison can only be accomplished in a test environment that is equal for both devices. Both devices must show �EV1X� in capital letters, and both must recieve FULL strength signal bars. That may mean testing the two devices in different locations. If one device is only getting 1X, than that device is only working on the 2G network, and not on 3G EVDO. Thus, the speeds will be different. Cell sites are not all in the same location. If Sprint, in your test, was getting a good EV1X signal, and Verizon was not, than go down the street. You�ll probably find a location where Verizon is getting a strong EV1X signal, and Sprint is not. Again, we need to compare apples to apples!
    What happened to VZW having better coverage? Seems to me as I said in my previous posts its all about cell tower saturation. Your statement here invalidates all the VZW customers claiming Sprint coverage sucks.
    05-10-08 12:31 PM
    the difference is like 4 seconds which is practically nothing and how do you know that were they were sprint had more service then verizon in that spot
    05-10-08 12:47 PM
    What happened to VZW having better coverage? Seems to me as I said in my previous posts its all about cell tower saturation. Your statement here invalidates all the VZW customers claiming Sprint coverage sucks.
    The purpose for my reply was to point out the flaw made in the writer's article comparing two devices. In order to have any meaningful results, the set-up of his experiment should have been controlled better ensuring both devices were getting the best signal on like EVDO networks. That didn't happen.

Now just because the writer choose to complete his experiment in one particular location that the Verizon Curve was not getting a good signal, does not speak for the entire Verizon Network across the USA. That is just silly!
    05-10-08 12:55 PM

Now just because the writer choose to complete his experiment in one particular location that the Verizon Curve was not getting a good signal, does not speak for the entire Verizon Network across the USA. That is just silly!
    About as silly as all the VZW customers here making the same claim against Sprint based on their particular locations. Signal strength in one area is not representative of the network as a whole.

Simply was pointing out that your statement nullified the blanket statements made by other VZW customers about the superiority of VZW coverage. Its just not fact nor are their claims supported across the network. As I said in a previous post here in So CA my coverage with Sprint beats VZW hands down every time. I also travel across the US with a major air carrier and have yet to find a place I don't have coverage.

If people are going to make claims about coverage superiority they must have the proof to back it up, not make a generalized claim based on their experience on their home turf. Again in comes down to the providers cell tower saturation in a given area, whether its Tmo, VZW, AT&T or Sprint.

Edit: Handset also plays into the signal strength. For instance my LG has a better signal strength at my home showing full bars while my Pearl only has 3 bars then again my friend with a Pearl has full bars. There are too many variables that come into play when it comes to signal strength which makes most tests and arguments flawed.
    Last edited by ERDude; 05-10-08 at 01:15 PM.
    05-10-08 01:04 PM
    About as silly as all the VZW customers here making the same claim against Sprint based on their particular locations. Signal strength in one area is not representative of the network as a whole.

Simply was pointing out that your statement nullified the blanket statements made by other VZW customers about the superiority of VZW coverage. Its just not fact nor are their claims supported across the network. As I said in a previous post here in So CA my coverage with Sprint beats VZW hands down every time. I also travel across the US with a major air carrier and have yet to find a place I don't have coverage.

If people are going to make claims about coverage superiority they must have the proof to back it up, not make a generalized claim based on their experience on their home turf. Again in comes down to the providers cell tower saturation in a given area, whether its Tmo, VZW, AT&T or Sprint.
    I hear you. If your experience with Sprint has been positive with regard to network, than your reality is that Sprint is a competitor in delivering on its network. Thats cool. For other's who use their Sprint phone in different cities and towns across America, their experiences and thus opinions may be different. It's all in your experience's! But I do agree, that doesn't give anyone the right to "bash" one competitor or other.

This thread was started with a comparison of two devices from a review at blog.laptopmag.com. I was only hoping those reading that review saw the flaw with it, and thus did not make a decision based on bad review.
    05-10-08 01:29 PM
    I think its necessarily a bad review. Everyone is mainly caught up over coverage or the few seconds. There are other factors in the review that people may consider, as the review doesn't just outright bash a phone... it just prefers a phone in certain aspects. Can't deny them that. As it has already been stated, gps on the vzw on is crippled. I am unsure about bluetooth on the curve but I wouldn't be surprised if vzw crippled that too as they have previously on other phones. Maybe people like the easy options of having programs ready to install or choice in programs for things like gps.
    05-10-08 02:17 PM
    Independent surveys say Sprint sucks. Your limited (or any of ours) experience doesn't measure the whole story.

I never had a dropped call in SD, wait...what happened to your story?
    05-10-08 02:22 PM

Edit: Handset also plays into the signal strength. For instance my LG has a better signal strength at my home showing full bars while my Pearl only has 3 bars then again my friend with a Pearl has full bars. There are too many variables that come into play when it comes to signal strength which makes most tests and arguments flawed.

I'm really not trying to bash Sprint, as I have no problem with Sprint. Honestly, the only cell phone company I dislike is AT&T, but that's another story.

With regards to the statements about coverage, I'm not referring to individual areas, but the country as a whole. My source? A pretty well-known magazine called Consumer Reports, that has ranked Verizon 1st in both coverage and Customer Support for I don't even know how many years now. Sprint "was last place, receiving the dubious honor of being in the bottom ranks of carriers we rate."

The survey included over 50,000 people nationwide and asked them--the same people who contribute to the other CR surveys--to rate their experiences.

Consumer Reports Cellphone Service Survey 2008 Published: Verizon Number One
    05-10-08 02:44 PM
    I'm really not trying to bash Sprint, as I have no problem with Sprint. Honestly, the only cell phone company I dislike is AT&T, but that's another story.

With regards to the statements about coverage, I'm not referring to individual areas, but the country as a whole. My source? A pretty well-known magazine called Consumer Reports, that has ranked Verizon 1st in both coverage and Customer Support for I don't even know how many years now. Sprint "was last place, receiving the dubious honor of being in the bottom ranks of carriers we rate."

The survey included over 50,000 people nationwide and asked them--the same people who contribute to the other CR surveys--to rate their experiences.

Consumer Reports Cellphone Service Survey 2008 Published: Verizon Number One
    Consumer Reports? Weren't they busted a few years ago for taking donations from a car manufacturer to make their car come out on top? Based on their history of biased reviews and single sample tests your source lacks credibility.

All cell owners are not alike, each has their own personality quirks that influence their choices and opinions. What type of mood was the customer in when they filled out their survey? Consumer Reports does not/can not control for the personality or mood of the person surveyed, therefore all their reports are flawed. They also, in most of their surveys include products that are the same product sold under different brand names to give the appearance of neutrality and validity.

Another of their review flaws is that they are based on single sample tests, you can't base the performance of the whole based on the experience of one. When it comes to their review of cell carriers did they have an equal number of representatives from each carrier? Clearly if a carrier was under represented than it goes without saying their scores are going to reflect that.

I freely admit I've had bad Sprint customer service every now and again; however, I attribute that to the individual rep. Most reps are extremely willing to help and in todays climate you can see their focusing changing to a more customer centric position. I say if you're calling customer service all that much you're more than likely the problem. In 8 years I think I've called customer service no more that 5 or 6 times.

We can argue this all day, it's a simple fact that all reviews are in and of themselves flawed based on the inability to control and the use of single samples.
    05-10-08 03:23 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD