Everything I've read on this board, and my own experience with my 8830 (Verizon), suggests that voice quality is outstanding on Blackberries.

But it's really lousy on my wife's new Sprint Curve. At times I have trouble making out what she's saying, especially when she's on her Plantronics 510 bluetooth (but it's also poor even when there's no headset involved). Any sort of wind (including the A/C in the car!) is a real problem as well.

Should we expect great voice quality? Any chance to reset this thing, or is our only option going to be go through the hassle of exchanging it with Sprint?

Thanks.
    07-25-08 03:28 PM
    Ive heard of this in reports but Ive never had call quality issues with my Curve, is your wife in a good coverage area?
    Last edited by morales0416; 07-25-08 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Typo
    07-25-08 03:54 PM
    I haven't noticed a voice problem on my Sprint Curve. I will occasionally have signal problems, but that's a known issue in my apartment building (previous phones). Take it to Sprint and let them do whatever they do - which is usually just make a note in your file. Enough notes and you may actually get them to do something about it.
    07-25-08 04:10 PM
    take it to a sprint service center. there is a diffrence between a sprint retail store and a service center (service centers fix or replace) explain the problem and if they can't fix the phone they will order you a new one. If you don't have a service plan/insurance it will cost you about 30 bucks to have it replaced.

But as far as call quality, i have no problems on my sprint curve even in areas with just 1 bar call quality is pretty good, so her phone must be defective. Calling sprint is a waist of time go to there service center.
    07-25-08 04:36 PM
    Have you tried a different headset? Not trying to be funny, but a BT headset that works great on one phone sounds like sh!t on another.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-08 04:45 PM
    Have you tried a different headset? Not trying to be funny, but a BT headset that works great on one phone sounds like sh!t on another.
    This is true.

But as far as call quality, i have no problems on my sprint curve even in areas with just 1 bar call quality is pretty good
    In the all-digital age that we are currently in, it doesnt matter if you have 1 bar or 5 bars, the call quality is going to be the same. The only thing the bars show you is how far you are from the tower, and how likely the chances are that you will be able to make and hold a call. 1 bar call quality = 5 bar call quality.

But mostly, it comes down to your carrier. Maybe Sprint is not the way to go for you. There are other CDMA carriers who have sharper call quality and better reception...(hint hint, BIG RED). Unfortunately they are a bit more expensive, but hey, you get what you pay for.
    07-25-08 06:29 PM
    No problems on my sprint curve. Best call quality I've ever had, actually. You may have received a defective phone.
    07-25-08 07:03 PM
    I had a Pearl with awful voice quality that ended up being defective. It was still under warranty, so I got it replaced for free (this was with Verizon and it was still under warranty). It's worth a shot to see what they can do for you. I have a Curve now, and have never heard a complaint about call quality from anyone I talk to.
    07-25-08 07:06 PM
    But mostly, it comes down to your carrier. Maybe Sprint is not the way to go for you. There are other CDMA carriers who have sharper call quality and better reception...(hint hint, BIG RED). Unfortunately they are a bit more expensive, but hey, you get what you pay for.

I dont think this is a fair assessment. I think jumping ship to another carrier before exercising less costly options is a bit extreme. There isnt one BT headset that works exclusively on all phones. I cant count how many Treos I've had in which I ended up buying at least 10 different headset just to find one that worked well and the minute my Treo needed to be replaced, that perfect headset wasnt perfect any more.

Currently I am using a LG headset and it it sounds like cr@p. Most of my callers spend their time saying huh? I bought it because its rated at 9 hours talk time. As poorly as it sounds, the amount of talk time is needed for repeating myself.

My other headset is the BlueAnt Z9. I cant find any place that sells the earpiece replacement, but as soon as I do, the LG I'll give away.
    07-25-08 08:04 PM

I dont think this is a fair assessment. I think jumping ship to another carrier before exercising less costly options is a bit extreme. There isnt one BT headset that works exclusively on all phones. I cant count how many Treos I've had in which I ended up buying at least 10 different headset just to find one that worked well and the minute my Treo needed to be replaced, that perfect headset wasnt perfect any more.

Currently I am using a LG headset and it it sounds like cr@p. Most of my callers spend their time saying huh? I bought it because its rated at 9 hours talk time. As poorly as it sounds, the amount of talk time is needed for repeating myself.

My other headset is the BlueAnt Z9. I cant find any place that sells the earpiece replacement, but as soon as I do, the LG I'll give away.
    Scandalex

I hope this helps

Not to get side tracked off the forum

BlueAnt Z9 Bluetooth Headset recomended accessories
    07-25-08 08:20 PM
    Yes go to a Sprint store because my Curve has the best call quality I have ever experienced and I have owned at least 80% of sprints lineup in the 6 years I had their service...

07-25-08 08:41 PM
    My wife and I both have 8330's, mine on a jawbone hers on the motopure, and we have 0 complaints, even from my grandfather who has hearing aids in both ears. Sounds like the phone to me. And I agree with the previous post, most sales centers are button monkeys, take it to the service center and let them handle it. Oh and btw, if you don't have the repair and replacment plan, its only $6 or $7 a phone with sprint, well worth it imho.

07-25-08 08:51 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

We're in a market where Verizon doesn't offer service, but AllTel does. My 8830 is actually from Verizon, but roams onto the AllTel network here. That said, my wife (and other family members) have been Sprint customers for years (she's moved from a Treo to the Curve) and coverage and overall network quality are fine in this market.

Guess we'll go to the service center tomorrow, though I'm wondering how that will work out since it's actually not a Sprint owned store (it is listed as a service center on the website, however). I actually got the phone directly from Sprint Telesales. Should I go directly back to them, or the service center route?

Thanks again.
    07-25-08 09:17 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    07-25-08 09:21 PM
    Weird, lady at work got a curve from vzw and it sounded aweful. Being new to BB's she freaked and got an LG Dare instead (yuck!). Check the phone before you take more drastic measures.

07-25-08 09:23 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

We're in a market where Verizon doesn't offer service, but AllTel does. My 8830 is actually from Verizon, but roams onto the AllTel network here. That said, my wife (and other family members) have been Sprint customers for years (she's moved from a Treo to the Curve) and coverage and overall network quality are fine in this market.

Guess we'll go to the service center tomorrow, though I'm wondering how that will work out since it's actually not a Sprint owned store (it is listed as a service center on the website, however). I actually got the phone directly from Sprint Telesales. Should I go directly back to them, or the service center route?

Thanks again.
    It's been my experience that results are better going to Sprint owned stores. Those 3rd party stores have been an absolute nightmare for me. What's ironic is that the few times I've gone to one, then needed to call Sprint because I wasnt happy with what I was told, Sprint always said, "Oh, you should have taken it to a Sprint store!" Imagine that?

Here's wishing you the best of luck. Let us know how everything works out.

Scandalex

I hope this helps

Not to get side tracked off the forum

BlueAnt Z9 Bluetooth Headset recomended accessories
    Thanks Mo; Ur not gonna believe this, but I went to MC last night on a whim and saw that they finally got some in stock. I immediately bought 2. Then I see your PM this morning. Good Lookin' anyway!!! Much appreciated.
    07-26-08 07:43 AM

I dont think this is a fair assessment. I think jumping ship to another carrier before exercising less costly options is a bit extreme.
    Dont get me wrong, I agree that switching to another carrier can be difficult, costly and overall a major hassle. I was not saying this is the BEST option, but when your carrier does not provide you with good service, what other option do you have? I agree that the OP should try and get the unit replaced first, to see if the unit is defective.

There isnt one BT headset that works exclusively on all phones. I cant count how many Treos I've had in which I ended up buying at least 10 different headset just to find one that worked well and the minute my Treo needed to be replaced, that perfect headset wasnt perfect any more.
    Currently I am using a LG headset and it it sounds like cr@p.
    My advice: Bite the bullet and get a Jawbone. It has been awesome on every phone that I have used it with so far, especially BB's. Sure it is pricey, but definetly worth the money for the way it works. I havent used a Jawbone 2 yet, so I can only say from my experience with the first Jawbone. If you dont want to spend the money on the Jawbone 2, you can find some pretty good deals on Jawbone 1 online, and it works AWESOME.
    07-26-08 08:38 AM
    I got a curve a week ago and am on Sprint and I find the call quality, both on my end and the other persons end to be very good. The speakerphone on mine works better than any other phone I've had.

BTW, don't know if it was mentioned before but you can take your phone to a sprint store even if you purchased on the sprint website or telesales and get it exchanged via their 30-day policy. Although I know around here, the curve is hard to come by locally.
    07-26-08 08:56 AM
    ..........My advice: Bite the bullet and get a Jawbone. It has been awesome on every phone that I have used it with so far, especially BB's. Sure it is pricey, but definetly worth the money for the way it works. I havent used a Jawbone 2 yet, so I can only say from my experience with the first Jawbone. If you dont want to spend the money on the Jawbone 2, you can find some pretty good deals on Jawbone 1 online, and it works AWESOME.
    I've seen the helicopter and lawnmower videos which is why the first store to carry the Jawbone locally, I was there. 7 days later, I returned it. My device didnt produce the wonderful results yours did. And the size: I didnt sign up to look like a Klingon!

Price isnt an issue. I've used $29.99-199.99 headsets. I really want to try the Bang & Olufsen Earset 2 Right Ear Headset - $350; at this point, it cant hurt- and they're not as huge as the pic would portray.
    07-26-08 10:31 AM
    One the BT issue, I used a Plantronics 510 with my Voyager. When I switched to the BB 8330 it didn't sound as good. I upgraded to the Plantronics 520 and it's better but not great. I also use a Jawbone but I'm not that impressed with the fit, broken ear loops and the ear pain after hours of use. Does anyone have a review for the blueant?
    07-27-08 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD