Purchased an 8gb card for my Curve. When I use either the mass storage function on the Blackberry or the Roxio software with the BB desktop software, I am able to put more than 7 gigs of data onto my 8 gb card. Additionally, on the blackberry, in options, it shows that the card has 7.6 gig capacity, and only a little bit of space free. When I go to my media (music and photos), however, only part of my media is being recognized by the Curve. I am guessing the phone is only seeing about 4 gigs of data.

My software version says it is 4.3.0.127 (Platform 3.1.073). Also, I have tried formatting the 8gb card on both the BB and windows.

Anyone know how I can fix this??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! It is driving me crazy.........
    06-08-08 06:11 PM
    Purchased an 8gb card for my Curve. When I use either the mass storage function on the Blackberry or the Roxio software with the BB desktop software, I am able to put more than 7 gigs of data onto my 8 gb card. Additionally, on the blackberry, in options, it shows that the card has 7.6 gig capacity, and only a little bit of space free. When I go to my media (music and photos), however, only part of my media is being recognized by the Curve. I am guessing the phone is only seeing about 4 gigs of data.

My software version says it is 4.3.0.127 (Platform 3.1.073). Also, I have tried formatting the 8gb card on both the BB and windows.

Anyone know how I can fix this??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! It is driving me crazy.........
    What type of data are you putting on the card? MP3s? ... other ???

/BD
    06-08-08 07:38 PM
    I don't understand what your problem is.
    06-08-08 07:51 PM
    A formatted 8Gb card will show up as 7.6Gb in Options, Media Card.

So far I have had two SanDisk 8Gb cards for my phone. Neither have worked and I am now talking to SanDisk about this. I am running 4.5.0.37 so the card should be supported.

It seems that not all Media Cards are equal. I do not know why but I do know that I am about to get my third 8Gb Media Card in the post.
    06-08-08 08:14 PM
    Thanks so much for jumping in with some thoughts. First off, I am just adding mp3s. To perhaps clarify the problem - simply put - I am able to fill up the 8gb card with mp3 files - via Roxio software or as mass storage - but the media application on the BB is only seeing some of the mp3 files (I think a bit over 4 gb worth). For instance, on the card itself, I know I have mp3s from artists that are not showing up on the BB media application (there are no licensing issues with the mp3s I am trying to get onto the BB).

Just frustrated because I can get all of the mp3s onto the card - the darn BB just doesn't see all of them. (even though, as I noted before, under options/media card - it does recognize 7.5 gb of data).

As for the fella who has tried out a handful of cards . . . find one that works? Mine is scandisk.
    06-08-08 08:35 PM
    Any media that is protected by DRM (Digital Rights Management) will not work correctly on a BB.
    06-08-08 08:54 PM
    That is not an issue. None of these files are protected by DRM. That is what I meant when I said that "there are no licensing issues."
    06-08-08 08:56 PM
    Are you waiting for all of the music to load? In the media app, it takes a while for all the songs to show up in the list, perhaps 5 minutes or more if you have 7GB+ of music. Just let the berry sit for a few minutes and see if any additional songs show up. Good luck!

Semper Fi,

~Marine39
    06-08-08 10:12 PM
    Are you waiting for all of the music to load? In the media app, it takes a while for all the songs to show up in the list, perhaps 5 minutes or more if you have 7GB+ of music. Just let the berry sit for a few minutes and see if any additional songs show up. Good luck!

Semper Fi,

~Marine39
    Yea this has happened to me. I waited about 3 minutes and everything showed up.
    06-08-08 10:26 PM
    I've seen many people recommend formatting the memory card FAT32 in a card reader using your PC, rather than formatting it in your BB. If that doesn't help, then try formatting it AGAIN in the BB. PC first, then immediately format it using the Curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-08 06:13 AM
    I have formatted separately on the pc and BB. But I will try out PC first, then immediately format it using the Curve.

As for a couple of the other thoughts, it definitely takes a while for all the files to show up on the BB, but I have waited days - I am certain the BB is simply not reading them.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I will take any more you guys may have.
    06-09-08 08:54 PM
    My VZW Curve seems fine with the 8GB Sandisk except for one thing - response to trackball or keyoard input is much slower than it is with my 2GB card.

Anyone else notice this? Any ideas?
    06-09-08 09:28 PM
    I thought only OS 4.5 supported cards larger than 4GB?
    06-09-08 09:31 PM
    That's what I was thought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-08 10:01 PM
    My VZW Curve seems fine with the 8GB Sandisk except for one thing - response to trackball or keyoard input is much slower than it is with my 2GB card.

Anyone else notice this? Any ideas?
    I also have the same issue, but mine takes about 30 minutes and loads about half of my songs. My music is all drm free and in the same folder, with all tag information already in place. All songs are playable if I use the file explorer, not the preferred method. I think that the media library has a cap of songs that can be listed. Also, when I have a lot of music, my videos and voice notes don't show. They need to fix this in the new OS. I would like to see the library database file be created on the pc; it would take a fraction of the time with a faster processor.
    06-09-08 10:18 PM
    Still not sure what the original problem is???
    I saw that you mentioned the 8330 saw 7.6 gb, that is probably correct. You were maybe expecting it to read 8.0gb, that will never hapen. this is a common question that comes up with harddrives and memory cards.

here is a brief explanation:
    Your hard drive is advertised as having a 60GB capacity, but your computer shows only 55.8GB. What gives? The discrepancy is the result of having two methods of measuring memory. Computers are binary, or "base two," mathematical systems, and in a binary world a kilobyte is 1024 bytes (2 to the 10th power). When computers were new, the geekerati referred to this as a "kilo." Noncomputer folks, however, understood kilo to mean thousand, and thought that 1000 bytes should equal a kilobyte. So, two different measurements of hard drive space were born. In 1998, the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) weighed in, defining 1 "gigabyte" as 1 billion bytes. Hard disk manufacturers agree, marketing their products using the rounder decimal value instead of the binary system. So, your drive is labeled as decimal ("giga") and your PC reads binary (IEC's term, "gibi"). Either way, you're getting the same bunch of bytes

if I missed the point, sorry, it is late.
    06-09-08 10:27 PM
    I also have the same issue, but mine takes about 30 minutes and loads about half of my songs. My music is all drm free and in the same folder, with all tag information already in place. All songs are playable if I use the file explorer, not the preferred method. I think that the media library has a cap of songs that can be listed. Also, when I have a lot of music, my videos and voice notes don't show. They need to fix this in the new OS. I would like to see the library database file be created on the pc; it would take a fraction of the time with a faster processor.
    This sounds exactly like my issue. Only about half of the songs on the 8gb card show up in the media library. I think you are right, there must be a cap on the number of songs that can be listed. I guess there is nothing we can do, just wait for the new OS. Why does RIM even bother letting you put in 8gb cards if the OS can only read half of the data?

One question: what do you mean by "file explorer?" I have a search function on my curve, but I think you are talking about something else.
    06-10-08 10:21 AM
    Still not sure what the original problem is???
    I saw that you mentioned the 8330 saw 7.6 gb, that is probably correct. You were maybe expecting it to read 8.0gb, that will never hapen. this is a common question that comes up with harddrives and memory cards.

here is a brief explanation:
    Your hard drive is advertised as having a 60GB capacity, but your computer shows only 55.8GB. What gives? The discrepancy is the result of having two methods of measuring memory. Computers are binary, or "base two," mathematical systems, and in a binary world a kilobyte is 1024 bytes (2 to the 10th power). When computers were new, the geekerati referred to this as a "kilo." Noncomputer folks, however, understood kilo to mean thousand, and thought that 1000 bytes should equal a kilobyte. So, two different measurements of hard drive space were born. In 1998, the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) weighed in, defining 1 "gigabyte" as 1 billion bytes. Hard disk manufacturers agree, marketing their products using the rounder decimal value instead of the binary system. So, your drive is labeled as decimal ("giga") and your PC reads binary (IEC's term, "gibi"). Either way, you're getting the same bunch of bytes

if I missed the point, sorry, it is late.

A bit of a different issue - but thanks! All the mp3 files are able to be copied onto my card, but the media library is only seeing about half of it.
    06-10-08 10:23 AM
    The file explorer is an option when you hit the menu button in the media player's front page. I use miutunes and it finds my files. I really wish I didn't need to use it when the native player is good. It just doesn't find any of my songs that are after "L" in the aphabet. I prefer the search function in the native player. We aren't doing it wrong, it's a programming flaw. I really hope that they did not cap the number of entries in the media library. I have over 2000 songs on my 8gb card.
    06-10-08 10:35 AM
    Try pulling the battery for 30 secs. This cures a multitude of ills with Blackberrys. I had the same problem as you and the battery pull fixed it.

Do like the previous poster said and open Media and then hit Menu and then Explore. You may just find your files.
    06-10-08 11:26 AM
    Try pulling the battery for 30 secs. This cures a multitude of ills with Blackberrys. I had the same problem as you and the battery pull fixed it.

Do like the previous poster said and open Media and then hit Menu and then Explore. You may just find your files.
    I have, finally, been able to see my files by using the Explore function. THANKS! While the media app still doesn't see all of my music files, at least I can play them by using explore. Anyone know of a music app for the BB that would be able to "see" all of the files?
    06-11-08 11:41 AM
    Miutunes is a very good music app. However, I still have some bugs and it does not play video or voicenotes. It finds all of my songs and has a cover flow like an iphone.
    06-11-08 12:55 PM
    I also have the same issue, but mine takes about 30 minutes and loads about half of my songs. My music is all drm free and in the same folder, with all tag information already in place. All songs are playable if I use the file explorer, not the preferred method. I think that the media library has a cap of songs that can be listed. Also, when I have a lot of music, my videos and voice notes don't show. They need to fix this in the new OS.
    Yes... this is a major problem with the OS 4.3.x.x variants in general. All the music is there, explorer can see (and play) the files but Media Player cannot. As you go to 4GB & larger microSDHC cards things get worse. I saw this when a had a Sprint 8130 for a short time with a 6GB Sandisk card.

The good news is that the Media Player in OS 4.5.0.x (I'm using .42 right now) does indeed fix this! Yes, it is the beta release and sadly for all VZ & Sprint users... there is not (currently) a beta of 4.5.0.x for CDMA.

I'm using it on an unlocked 8310 Curve on T-Mobile and can say that the Media Player loads quickly, has full search, DEFINITELY sees "all" songs, includes an equalizer (bass boost etc) and larger Cover Art views.

Hopefully; OS 4.5.x.x will be released soon (yes; we've been saying this for approx 6 months now RIM) for all 81xx, 83xx & 88xx Blackberrys.

/BD
    Last edited by bikedogrun; 06-11-08 at 02:21 PM.
    06-11-08 02:18 PM
    Yes... this is a major problem with the OS 4.3.x.x variants in general. All the music is there, explorer can see (and play) the files but Media Player cannot. As you go to 4GB & larger microSDHC cards things get worse. I saw this when a had a Sprint 8130 for a short time with a 6GB Sandisk card.

The good news is that the Media Player in OS 4.5.0.x (I'm using .42 right now) does indeed fix this! Yes, it is the beta release and sadly for all VZ & Sprint users... there is not (currently) a beta of 4.5.0.x for CDMA.

I'm using it on an unlocked 8310 Curve on T-Mobile and can say that the Media Player loads quickly, has full search, DEFINITELY sees "all" songs, includes an equalizer (bass boost etc) and larger Cover Art views.

Hopefully; OS 4.5.x.x will be released soon (yes; we've been saying this for approx 6 months now RIM) for all 81xx, 83xx & 88xx Blackberrys.

/BD
    I am glad to hear that this has been resolved. I have some questions, assuming that you are using a mostly full 8gb media card:
    1. How long after a reboot or adding music does it take for you library to build
    2. Do ALL of you songs, videos, and voicenotes load properly
    3. Does your berry rebuild the library every time it is booted or used with usb.
    06-13-08 01:48 PM
    Also, why is cdma treated so differently than gsm on OS issues. I'm no programmer, but I would assume that you could copy and paste the majority of the code and the cdma specific information wouldn't be all that different from the current code.
    06-13-08 01:50 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD