Long time lurker and BB owner, but just picked up a new 8330 Curve from Sprint. Everything's been great except the keyboard. It's super mushy and has poor tactile response. The keyboard in my opinion is one of the key features that sets BB apart from others.

I tried to exchange it for another unit, but realized that the 2nd and 3rd devices were similar as well. I noticed that they were all made in Mexico. (Nothing against Mexico, but it appears that their hit rate hasn't been successful for me)

I happen to stop by a Verizon store and checked out the 8330 they had on demo, and it was fantastic. Great keyboard, very crisp and solid trackball, etc. I was able to remove the battery and noticed it was made in Canada. (same as my last BB 8703e) On my way out, I stepped in a Tmobile store and their 8320s also had great keyboards made in Canada (I know different model slightly so it may not be fair to compare).

To make a long post short, does anyone on Sprint have an 8330 Curve that is not made in Mexico and has a great keyboard? Or for that matter, anyone who has one that is made in Mexico that has no issues with their keyboard? I'm less than a week into my 30 day trial so I still have some time, but I don't want to keep spending my time trying to exchange for a device if they're all similar.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do, I'd appreciate it as well. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the device, I do a bunch of work email on it and a responsive keyboard is important to me.

Thanks in advance for reading!
    08-05-08 01:08 AM
    my sprint curve is made in Canada and has a nice keyboard, you might just need to ask the rep at the store to look for one made in Canada... it's indicated on the box as well...
    08-05-08 01:30 AM
    My Sprint Curve is made in China and has a fantastic keyboard and track ball. I don't know what you're talking about. @_@.
    08-05-08 01:37 AM
    I have an att pearl made in Mexico and my keys are tight. May be just a sprint thing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-08 02:04 AM
    cire0309, thanks for confirming that these do exist from Canada!

Great suggestion, I was thinking about doing that the next time I ask. Hopefully one comes around from Canada in the next few weeks. I've ONLY seen them made in Mexico around my area.

Where are you located by chance if you don't mind me asking?

Anyone else get a keyboard that's a bit mushy?
    08-05-08 02:08 AM
    You're welcome

I'm in the southeast, but I ordered my curve through retentions

08-05-08 03:08 AM
    My Sprint Curve was made in Mexico and my keyboard is fine. I can feel good click response and all feels fine. Same for the trackball.
    08-05-08 03:19 AM
    My 8130 Pearl from Sprint was made in Canada. Very solid. Got it the day before it came out, don't know of that has to do with man. location.
    08-05-08 05:39 AM
    I'm with Sprint and my Curve was made in Mexico. Keyboard is great and very responsive as is the trackball. Maybe a bad batch at your store location?
    08-05-08 10:03 AM
    i have the sprind red curve, made in mexico, keyboard is perfect
    08-05-08 10:09 AM
    My Verizon Curve was made in Canada.
    08-05-08 10:11 AM
    My Sprint RED 8330 Curve is made in Mexico and the keys and everything else works perfectly!
    08-05-08 10:36 AM
    You guys rock, thanks for all the responses!

Yeah, it definitely does sound like a bad batch for a few of the stores around the area (I'm in California).

I'll hold on to it for a another week or so and try exchanging it.
    08-05-08 11:02 AM
    My Curve was made in Canada.
    08-05-08 11:07 AM
    Why would RIM build some devices in different parts of the world? And it is carrier based which determines where they are built. This does not make sense to me. Maybe it does to someone else, if so, could you explain?
    08-05-08 11:38 AM
    i dont know what you mean by great, i think my keyboard is hard as ****, do you have soft keys?
    08-08-08 02:48 AM
    My Curve was made in Mexico... my GFs pearl was made in Canada
    08-08-08 04:28 PM
    Mine was made in Canada and I have had it since June. Everything works fine except for my fat fingers.
    08-09-08 03:16 PM
    Manufacturing can take place in many different places. Even car manufacturing does this. When you buy a Toyota, are you getting one made in Texas or in the mid-west? Was your VW built in Germany or Mexico?
    These multiple manufacturing sites, many times, have to do with regional needs and turnaround times. If Mexico can get 500 BB's into the market in California quicker than the Canadian manufacturer, so be it. Often times a company will have exclusive manufacturing rights to a certain area of the country. For example, a Mexican-built BB MIGHT be the only one you can get in your area. Again, it just depends. Who knows?
    And BTW, my Curve was built in Canada. Great keyboard. Hope it works out for the best.
    Last edited by jbenrn; 08-09-08 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Grammatical correction
    08-09-08 03:41 PM
    my t-mobile curve was made in mexico, and the keyboard is great!

i agree, its prolly a sprint thing
    08-09-08 03:53 PM
    Mine is made in Mexico and the keyboard is fine. Perky and responsive. You might have just got a couple of bad ones. It's possible.

08-09-08 04:14 PM
    Manufacturing can take place in many different places. Even car manufacturing does this. When you buy a Toyota, are you getting one made in Texas or in the mid-west? Was your VW built in Germany or Mexico?
    These multiple manufacturing sites, many times, have to do with regional needs and turnaround times. If Mexico can get 500 BB's into the market in California quicker than the Canadian manufacturer, so be it. Often times a company will have exclusive manufacturing rights to a certain area of the country. For example, a Mexican-built BB MIGHT be the only one you can get in your area. Again, it just depends. Who knows?
    And BTW, my Curve was built in Canada. Great keyboard. Hope it works out for the best.
    Ironically, VW's made in Mexico have less defects than those made in Germany. I've owned 4 VW's, 2 made in Mexico and 2 made in Germany, the quality control is actually better in their Mexican plant.
    08-09-08 09:01 PM
    ordered mine from Sprint telesales; it was made in Canada. keyboard and trackball are good.
    08-09-08 09:09 PM
    mine was made in mexico and my keyboard and trackball are perfect.
    08-09-08 10:45 PM
    I have a sprint 8330 from Mexico and I don't have any issues.
    08-10-08 02:19 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD