Phone is less than a week old. Haven't really done much to it other than try and figure it out; uploaded (transferred from puter) some pics, few songs, downloaded few ring tones off Zedge.com. Been working fine. Got the newest Desktop Manager 5.0. phone software is updated.

So I'm driving, pull out phone to use and don't recall if I had keyboard locked or not but the phone is frozen solid. Won't respond to any key strokes. Nothing. Not turn off, not unlock keypad nothing. I went skitzo and pulled battery. So it reboots and seems to work. I'm able to make call. Except I can hardly hear the party and it sounds like its on speakerphone. I try to hang up and it still says connected but no timer?? Nothing responds. This happens 4 times and I yank battery four times.

I get to my destination then all a sudden phone works fine. What is going on???
    The very first time I really need my phone it craps out on me. I am shocked and hurt.
    09-05-09 11:46 PM
    Phone is less than a week old. Haven't really done much to it other than try and figure it out; uploaded (transferred from puter) some pics, few songs, downloaded few ring tones off Zedge.com. Been working fine. Got the newest Desktop Manager 5.0. phone software is updated.

So I'm driving, pull out phone to use and don't recall if I had keyboard locked or not but the phone is frozen solid. Won't respond to any key strokes. Nothing. Not turn off, not unlock keypad nothing. I went skitzo and pulled battery. So it reboots and seems to work. I'm able to make call. Except I can hardly hear the party and it sounds like its on speakerphone. I try to hang up and it still says connected but no timer?? Nothing responds. This happens 4 times and I yank battery four times.

I get to my destination then all a sudden phone works fine. What is going on???
    The very first time I really need my phone it craps out on me. I am shocked and hurt.
    May want to update the OS. You can learn more by reading the BB101 Lectures Series as well as the How to/Tips threads and check out the OS stickies in the 83xx forums.

Good Luck and Happy Learning!
    09-05-09 11:55 PM
    May want to update the OS. You can learn more by reading the BB101 Lectures Series as well as the How to/Tips threads and check out the OS stickies in the 83xx forums.

Good Luck and Happy Learning!
    I thought I did update the os. Is this something you've heard of?

Yep. Requested updates and none available.
    09-05-09 11:58 PM
    I thought I did update the os. Is this something you've heard of?

Yep. Requested updates and none available.
    What OS are you running? The latest is .169 for the 8330. From what you are experiencing it sounds like it could be OS/radio related.

Edit: I know DM 4.7 wasnt playing well with 4.5 devices, however i never had any issues and have not had any issues with DM and my gf's 8330
    09-06-09 12:05 AM
    Where can I find the os info? I know everything I'm looking at states 4.5 and the DM I'm using is 5.0 but it updated automatically so I assumed it knew what it was doing. I just found out what mass storage does and it is nice not to have to use media manager to transfer stuff. My buddy has the same Crackberry and he told me he never used it.

Now I do believe you need it to sync Outlook addresses and such. Is this true? I did that but the only problem I have is I have all my contacts in separate folders categorized and when I transferred to BB it places them all in one folder with the names all askew, not in alpha order. Is there a way to correct that?

I'm thinking my issue with the frozen keypad may have been related to transferring pictures from media manager. I formatted my media card and am now just transferring using XP. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.
    09-06-09 12:44 AM
    When I look up Options:About it states Blackberry 8330m smartphone (cdma) v.4.5.0.131 (platform 3.4.0.25)

Now if thats not the .169 you mentioned I have no idea how to update.
    09-06-09 12:51 AM
    Where can I find the os info? I know everything I'm looking at states 4.5 and the DM I'm using is 5.0 but it updated automatically so I assumed it knew what it was doing. I just found out what mass storage does and it is nice not to have to use media manager to transfer stuff. My buddy has the same Crackberry and he told me he never used it.

Now I do believe you need it to sync Outlook addresses and such. Is this true? I did that but the only problem I have is I have all my contacts in separate folders categorized and when I transferred to BB it places them all in one folder with the names all askew, not in alpha order. Is there a way to correct that?

I'm thinking my issue with the frozen keypad may have been related to transferring pictures from media manager. I formatted my media card and am now just transferring using XP. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.
    You can what OS you are running in Options>About 4.5 is the base OS and the last three numbers is the build/radio version. Check out the stickies in the 83xx forums and also do take the time and read the BB101 Lecture Series. It is a wealth of information and will answer many questions you may have. I dont use outlook so Im not an authority on the subject, however there is a lecture on this as well. I would also recommend you reading the How to use SEARCH thread in my sig as well. It will help you navigate through the forums and all the threads and help you maximize your search results and get the info you are looking for quicker and easier.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    09-06-09 01:00 AM
    My heads starting to hurt. Thanks.
    09-06-09 01:02 AM
    My heads starting to hurt. Thanks.
    HAHAHA!!! Yeah its alot to learn but well worth it in the end! No worries!
    09-06-09 01:04 AM
    HAHAHA!!! Yeah its alot to learn but well worth it in the end! No worries!
    Man I'm old my brain cells are dying off and I only got this thing because of my job and I figured might as well try and catch up with the rest of the world. Wasn't really planning on taking the learning curve at 90 mph. I'm not about to do what essentially appears to me to be the equivalent of flashing a system bios. I just want the thing to work. I seriously doubt I'll ever do half of what it's capable of. (don't you dare quote that)

I mean geez shouldn't the thing just update itself??? Seriously why can't I just turn it on and a message pops up and says Dude, an update is available.
    Last edited by SGL1; 09-06-09 at 01:15 AM.
    09-06-09 01:12 AM

I mean geez shouldn't the thing just update itself??? Seriously why can't I just turn it on and a message pops up and says Dude, an update is available.
    They do update themselves for the most part.
    The .169 update mentioned is (as yet) unsupported by Sprint, as far as I know. But it IS supported by RIM.
    That being said, I've had it on my Sprint 8330m for a couple of weeks, and it seems to be just fine, running stable. My phone locked up once the week before I updated to .169, and hasn't froze since.

If you want .169 for the 8330m, it can be found here. Like I said, I'm pretty sure Sprint doesn't support it yet.
    09-06-09 02:43 AM
    Man I'm old my brain cells are dying off and I only got this thing because of my job and I figured might as well try and catch up with the rest of the world. Wasn't really planning on taking the learning curve at 90 mph. I'm not about to do what essentially appears to me to be the equivalent of flashing a system bios. I just want the thing to work. I seriously doubt I'll ever do half of what it's capable of. (don't you dare quote that)

Your DM updated, not your phone OS. Two different things there. I am also on Sprint and was running the .131 OS. I took the plunge & did the .169 OS download found on this forum (see the sticky for it at the top) and have found my BB to be running quicker from it. Definitely take the time to look the links over the other posters have provided for you to learn all there is to know about your BB before you jump off a bridge over the bit of learning Curve (maybe that's why they named it that?) that comes with them.

Take a deep breath, relax & have fun!
    09-06-09 12:00 PM
    Whoa....slow down a bit. .131 from Sprint is known to be the most stable OS for the 8330m. Yes others are snappier, but the only real issue with .131 seems to be a slow (1-3 seconds) radio switch from data/voice.

Are there any other possible reasons for the freeze? New theme, new app installed, low memory, etc etc.

Jumping in and switching out the OS because the phone froze once is not the way I'd start investigating this issue, because I will wager it was something else that froze you out.
    09-06-09 12:24 PM
    How is the phone working now after you figured out it was most likely media transfer that did it? You didn't mention that.

You don't have to update your OS...it's just an option. The .131 OS is known to be the most stable for the 8330m and I never had an issue with it...I just updated mine to learn how to update without freaking out about bricking the phone.
    09-06-09 12:49 PM
    Dude if you have sprint, they can update the OS for you and if you are very concerned about the problem, run a diagnostic or take it in to get checked. They might find a big issue and the phone needs to be replaced, better safe than sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-09 01:10 PM
    Well appears I have to send the %$#@! phone back. After getting the phone to work again the volume on the earpiece doesn't work worth a flip. Can barely hear anyone. Speakerphone works great. ACDC could use it as an amp. Called Sprint and even flashed the phone to new but still can barely hear anyone.
    09-06-09 01:50 PM
    Makes sense. Bad news for you at the moment, but rest assured the general build quality of the 8330 is very good. Sucks you got a dud, but the replacment will probably be just fine.
    09-06-09 02:08 PM
    Makes sense. Bad news for you at the moment, but rest assured the general build quality of the 8330 is very good. Sucks you got a dud, but the replacment will probably be just fine.
    I bought it off Wirefly.com. Is that a reputable site or did I get what I asked for?
    09-06-09 03:48 PM
    Never dealt with them myself, but I've heard nothing bad about them. If they give you any sort of run-around, Crackberry is the place to find out how to beat them at their own game . If it happens, just make a new post with help/wirefly/replacment in the title and I'm sure you will get some help.
    09-06-09 05:24 PM
    Well I fixed my earpiece issue. Without going into detail (because you'll point and laugh) lets just say it was a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. Thanks for all your help.
    09-07-09 01:42 PM
    I'm glad you got it all sorted. Hopefully the freeze was a fluke and you're good to go. These really are toughass little phones compared to RIM's latest offerings.
    09-07-09 08:17 PM
    take that b#tch back & have them give you a new one! avoid all the hassle and BS!
    09-07-09 08:18 PM
    I'm glad you got it all sorted. Hopefully the freeze was a fluke and you're good to go. These really are toughass little phones compared to RIM's latest offerings.
    Speaking of tough what kind of case do you like? I see those Otterboxes but man those things are pricy. I saw an aluminum case for $25 and thats more my liking.
    09-07-09 09:00 PM
    How is the phone working now after you figured out it was most likely media transfer that did it? You didn't mention that.

You don't have to update your OS...it's just an option. The .131 OS is known to be the most stable for the 8330m and I never had an issue with it...I just updated mine to learn how to update without freaking out about bricking the phone.
    I called Sprint and did a phone dump and redid the whole thing. Seems ok now. You really do care don'tcha Redhdgirl?
    09-07-09 09:02 PM
    I use the Best Skins Ever whole body skin with an OEM Silicone case over that. My devices always remain scratchless, but then I'm a housewife and not too hard on my phones.

Otterboxes are great if you work outdoors or in an industrial environment, it's all really a matter of taste and what your needs are. BTW Otterboxes can usually be found cheaper on Ebay.
    09-07-09 09:13 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD