I've read a little on this topic but not much recently. I just got a new tmobile 8320 on Saturday and took it back today because it was spontaneously rebooting - maybe once every few hours.

I initialized it to clear out all settings and 3rd party apps and it still happened so I returned it for another one (the original and new 8320 were both made in Mexico).

Brought the new one home and it's even worse. I made a small video showing it rebooting maybe 4 times in 3 minutes. I have a belkin router at home, and I've read on some boards that there are problems with th wifi and belkin routers.

I was almost set to just buy a new router rather than return the phone again, I love it that much (compared to my 8700g). So I turned off wifi and figured I just wouldn't use that feature until I got a new router and it STILL reboots! Maybe not as often, but at least every 15 minutes.

I just find it hard to believe that this isn't wide spread enough that I can't find articles on blackberry.com or other websites, at least not recent posts! And most complaints seemed to be fixed once people got new ones, making me think it was a rare default - but twice in a row??

I had to video it just to prove to the people in the store that it's happening as much as I said it is (murphy's luck - didn't happen at all in the store).

Any ideas? I doubt it can be a memory leak since it happens so fast and with the stock software...
    11-06-07 09:42 PM
    How old is your SIM card? I wonder if its one before we went to 32bit...
    11-07-07 04:30 AM
    I joined tmobile roughly a year ago, so no older than that. It worked well in an 8700g if that tells you anything.
    11-07-07 05:44 AM
    Anyone else? I can't be the only unlucky one out there - two completely different 8320's, both brand new.

I just spent the last two hours updating my bberry desktop manager and the firmware/os on the blackberry - no luck. Rebooted within 15 minutes, and I didn't have wifi enabled.

It does it pretty much anywhere. I used to think it was limited to my apt - but that's just because I look at it more here than when I'm at work.

I'm going to stop by a tmobile store and see if swapping out the sim card helps, but I think mine is pretty new. I'll also try bberry tech support, but there's nothing on their website that seems related...
    11-10-07 12:15 PM
    Oh yeah, I also recently bought and added a 2GB microsd card in the hopes that my device was low on memory - didn't help.
    11-10-07 12:15 PM
    I'm continuing to post just in case someone else does a search with the same problem.

While I didn't get a chance to go to a tmobile store yesterday to swap out my sim card, an idea occured to me - why not pull my sim card out and see what happens.

My device still reboots - especially on wifi - which leads me to conclude its the device and not my sim card.

Interestingly, you can still browse the internet without a sim card - you just cant do any type of messaging (phone, txt, email).
    11-11-07 06:12 AM
    im sorry for this. i just got a t-mo curve 2 weeks ago and had this same exact issue. so finally t-mo sent me a new one and ive had it for 5 days. so far so good. but i read on another thread like this that someone got their second after having the same issue and it started rebooting after a week. im crossing my fingers that this one does not do that same thing.

but your not the only one. it was frustrating and discouraging.
    11-12-07 07:14 PM
    Thanks, I'll try calling them. I went to the store and they thought I was nuts. But I made a small video showing them what was happening and I printed out the other thread and took it in with me - that's when they finally swapped out the first one. I think they'd kick me out if I went back in - but it's seriously annoying. I just love the phone so much - the size is amazing, I love the mp3 player and the normal headphone jack, everything is just awesome. If only for the rebooting issue...
    11-12-07 08:00 PM
    Same experience for me. I ordered 2 Curves from ATT on 11/8/07. One has been perfect, the other..... reboot after reboot, about once or twice a day. We called ATT after the 3rd reboot (about 3 days into it) and they are sending a new one our way, supposed to be here by end of the week. I'm hoping this should resolve it. But wanted to add my experience, as it's looking like replacement is key to the solution (the only solution??). I'll post a follow-up here when I've got the new one.
    11-14-07 09:56 AM
    My curve rebooted last night. I've only had it 2 days. Thanks for the heads up, this is something I'll keep an eye on. Hope all goes well for you.
    11-15-07 11:04 PM
    Ok so I'm not crazy. I got a new curve last week, and that wouldn't connect to wi-fi at all. So I went out and got a new router. The new ones connects but that sends it into a constant loop of rebooting. They even swapped out my sim card yesterday. I'm taking this one back tomorrow I guess.
    11-17-07 11:33 PM
    So, yes, I got the replacement Curve from ATT this weekend, have been using it for 3 or 4 days now... no random reboots on this one!
    11-18-07 04:01 PM
    I have an 8700g that has the same problem. Mine keeps rebooting randomly... sometimes while it is in my holster even! I'll pick it up to make a call and it will be in the middle of a reboot for no reason. Sometimes it reboots several times every 15 minutes, other times, it reboots only once per day... but it has progressively gotten worse, that is for sure.

Google Maps and Text Messaging seem to be the main two things that I am doing when the reboot occurs. It has rebooted during a phone call on a few occassions.

I hope someone can provide insight as to what causes this problem.

Regards,
    dr00t
    11-26-07 12:44 PM
    Hmmm well I've had my curve (8300) on AT&T for about a week and zero problems, not even requiring a battery pull. I had a pearl (8100) for 3 weeks and hated it. Locked up randomly (updated os and it helped) but I swapped it for the curve and I haven't had any problems except I can't put it down for more than 5 minutes!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-07 08:04 PM
    Hello, I have had my 8320 for about 2-3 weeks and it has rebooted 4 times in the last week, not as dramatic as your problem but still a pain. We have Tmobile with our own linkys router. Just put a hot spot in when we got the phones. Love the phone but do not want to lose data because of this.
    11-29-07 09:31 PM
    i got my curve in ... september i think. had minor issues with rebooting but mostly loosing the services. i am in a bad service area, which is why i got the curve, because of UMA. tmo tech told me to disable UMA, delete service books, pull the battery, then reregister, resend service books and then enable UMA again. it worked the first time and it still works but i am having to do it more and more often. now i am also having issues with it rebooting more and more often. luckily one of my best friends is a field tech (cell towers) so he knows all of the managers at all of the local stores and recommended someone i take it to. fingers crossed. i love my phone but i hate these issues
    01-06-08 03:02 PM
    I loathe the BlackBerry Curve thus far. The spontaneous rebooting and constant "searching for network" in an area that appears to have good signal is driving me crazy.

I just bought this device Wednesday. I have already considered returning to the store and returning it for a Black Jack, figuring that thing cannot possibly be any worse than this one.

But fortunately, I read these posts here --- pretty much the first time I have seen anything said about it online --- and see that replacing the device is about the best thing I can do.

I am off to a store to let them know. The phone should not be shutting down, rebooting itself (with the hourglass and all), verifying the security service (or whatever), and then repeating 15 times a day.
    01-11-08 02:26 PM
    I have had Four (4) 8703e's over the last year and half with verizon. They offer no help other than to say that they will send another replacement. We have 5 bb in our office and they are all starting to do the same thing.

Dose anyone have any idea what the heck is going on?
    01-20-08 04:54 PM
    my 8300 reboots all the time also
    01-20-08 08:28 PM
    In the last 10 days i have been sent 4- 8310's from Rogers. ALL never make it past 2 days and random reboots start every 2 minutes.

Someone tell me there is a fix??

dj
    01-15-09 08:24 PM
    I wonder if there was a bad lot of curves that got out past qa? I have a curve (my 3rd bb), my girlfriend has a curve, and 4 or 5 or my coworkers have curves, and I've never heard of this issue before this thread. I know that doesn't help you at all, just wanted to let you know that they're not all like that... Maybe it was a bad batch of chips or something? Here's to hoping you get it resolved quickly!

01-15-09 10:41 PM
    Tried removing the micro sd card & still had the same rebooting problem on the 8310. Even reformatted the sd card in the surve & still have the problem
    I guess at this point I am going to wipe it & start all over with the old operating system unless anyone else has another suggestion.
    Please note that the 8310 was working good over the past 24 hours or so since my last post but I noticed it started rebooting again after I put it in standbye mode. Just to experiment, I would not let it go into standbye mode & did not have the rebooting problem.

01-16-09 04:28 PM
    i have been having the same problem with my Curve rebooting. it takes about 3 mins to reboot. then it comes to the home screen. it will be fine for 1 minute, then starts rebooting all over again. IT NEVER STOPS. as in, not ever!!!

i called TMO and we went through every troubleshooting scenario we could think of. they sent a replacement today. before i swapped my info from my old curve to my new one, i put in my SIM and memory card and battery. SAME thing happened

i went to the TMO store and they tested a new SIM. it wasnt that b/c the reboots continued. the store rep called BBerry support and she said i should use the application loader to reload the apps on my curve. she said one or more of the files might be corrupt or something. i've been trying that but now the phone wont recognize that it is even plugged in!

what is really going on??? i've spent all day here at work trying to fix this, will try at home tonight. if anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!
    01-29-09 03:39 PM
    OK. I was the having the same exact problems as everyone and it too was driving me nuts. I have since found the solution and pretty guarantee this will solve the issue. First, make sure you close out all your applications. I always went to the internet, looked over an article then hit end and left the page without closing the internet. Next, make sure you also shut down Viigo and crakberry etc etc.. applications. Get into the habit of doing this and I guarantee you it will stop doing it. Try it. Let me know how if it worked.
    01-29-09 04:17 PM
    thanks for the advice but i found the answer deep in the crackberry forums shortly after i posted my plea. i hate that i cant recall the person who posted the fix so i can give him credit, but i needed to reformat my media card. it apparently wasnt formatted for the 4.5OS. (you see, i had a pearl previously).

once i tooke everything off and reformatted it, it worked great! then i loaded everything back on and it started acting funky again. by process of elimination, i took off each folder and left all but a few picture files on. i'm thinking it might be a corrupt pic somewhere on my sdcard, but havent put any of them back on yet to confirm. at any rate, the answer was the media card was the problem. and it's fixed! woohoo!!!!!!!
    02-06-09 11:49 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD