About 4 days after I read a thread that included 3 flashing .jpg files that you could use to try to wake up a stuck pixel, my wife's 8310 got a stuck pixel and not I cannot find that thread.

Thanks for the help. I searched on dead pixed and stuck pixel but did not find it.

Michael
    10-27-08 09:57 PM
    10-27-08 10:05 PM
    But there was a post about a week ago, and one of the responses the user listed 3 .jpg files that flashed the RGB sequence at different frequencies. Said you just displayed the pic for a while and sometimes it would wake up the stuck pixel. Said that sometimes you may have to let it display for up to 8 hours to get it to work.

I cannot find that post.

Michael
    10-27-08 10:15 PM
    The diagnostic tool has a dead pixel test. BTW, an image by itself, does not output a frequency.
    10-27-08 10:37 PM
    Maybe it was .mp4 files.

It was links to 3 files that when displayed, showed red, green and blue screens in very quick succession, and each file displayed at a different frequency.

I just cannot seem to find it.

Michael
    10-27-08 10:44 PM
    I am fairly certain there is no such post on this site like you are thinking of. Why not use the diagnostic tool?
    Last edited by sunkast; 10-27-08 at 10:58 PM.
    10-27-08 10:55 PM
    But in my experience with diagnostic tools on computers, they are used to establish if there is a problem. I have already confirmed that there is a problem. The pixel is stuck. Will the diagnostic confirm this? Perhaps. Will it attempt to fix it? That would make it a repair tool.

The files I am trying to find actually cycle all pixels from red to green to blue many times a second. In the hopes that it will 'awaken' the stuck pixel.

I found a file to do just that on the PSP, but I wish I could find that other thread.

Michael
    10-27-08 11:01 PM
    But in my experience with diagnostic tools on computers, they are used to establish if there is a problem. I have already confirmed that there is a problem. The pixel is stuck. Will the diagnostic confirm this? Perhaps. Will it attempt to fix it? That would make it a repair tool.
    How would you know if you don't try it?
    The files I am trying to find actually cycle all pixels from red to green to blue many times a second. In the hopes that it will 'awaken' the stuck pixel.
    That's exactly what the dead pixel test in the diagnostic tool does. It will ask you to press a key to go from red, to green, to blue with each key press.

When you are troubleshooting, you should be open and try any solution you come upon.
    10-27-08 11:12 PM
    You are dogged, aren't you?
    I promised to try the diagnostic. I will. I really will. I swear.

But even if the diagnostic tool lets me switch from color to color at will, would you at least admit that it would be easier to display them in sequence, automatically, for a given time instead of having to press <Next> <Next> <Next>? These files did just that. A video file that just displayed R then G then B in rapid sequence.

Anyway, I just want to find that other post. Diagnostics and repair aside, I just want to know I am not losing my mind, and did, indeed see that post.

Thanks for all the responses,
    Michael
    10-27-08 11:41 PM
    Sunkast, you keep saying diagnostic and troubleshooting. I am BEYOND that. Troubleshooting and diagnostics are complete. I have found a problem. I no longer need to troubleshoot. I need the next step. Repair.

The BB diagnostic is just that. A Diagnostic. To determine if the things that are tested are working correctly. OK. I agree. And I just used a different diagnostic to detect the problem....my wife used her eyes. And discovered a problem.

Anyway, thanks for the semantics, I do enjoy lively banter about a topic.

Michael
    10-27-08 11:45 PM
    BE CAREFUL WITH THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST!!!!

When using the "call" portion of the diagnostic test, it places a call to CANADA. I was billed for this unfortunately
    10-27-08 11:49 PM
    I understand where you are coming from...

I am a bit confused because I have never ever seen or heard of a dead pixel on a Berry I would take that up with your carrier and have it replaced under warranty, if possible!

I also know of the ".jpgs" you are talking about... but, in reality, they are .gif animations. Many people refer to them as pixel "scrubbers" or dead pixel repairs. They flash RGB in succesion and sometime flash random sequences, attempting to repair a dead pixel.

I have heard of these for LCD computer monitors and HD TVs, but never ever for the BlackBerry...

I am not doubting you at all and I assume there is something available for the Berry, but I have no idea where!
    10-27-08 11:51 PM
    Heh, yah. Secretly get you to make a long distance call.

All the money in the world is not enough for the telecoms. They gotta have a little bit more....

Michael
    10-27-08 11:51 PM
    I was beginning to think I was losing my mind...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/stu...y-curve-86374/

Whew!

Michael
    10-28-08 12:09 AM
    Glad you found it!!
    10-28-08 12:12 AM
    BE CAREFUL WITH THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST!!!!

When using the "call" portion of the diagnostic test, it places a call to CANADA. I was billed for this unfortunately
    Aha! I was checking my usage the other night on Sprint's website, and it said I had a long distance call that was not covered in my plan...now I know what that is, since I, too, placed a call to RIM in the great white north via the diagnostic!

-neil

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD