Okay I know there are lots of threads out there comparing the Bold to the iPhone, but none of them seemed to answer any of my questions.

Right now I'm using a Treo 680 (with Rogers) and want to dropkick it. I basically got it so that I could use the organizer and didn't get or have a need for a data plan. Now that my phone keeps freezing on me I really want to get a hold of something new and exciting.

My dilemma: Curve 8310, Bold or iPhone?

I've been using a full qwerty keyboard for 2 years now and trying the hubby's iPhone keyboard is quite an adjustment. I can text not even looking at the keyboard and really enjoy how easy it is to use. I would mainly be using the phone for texting, email, web browsing and organization. I will have to get a data plan if I were to upgrade, so it's not a huge deal if I don't have wifi (with the curve).

For the users of those 3 phones, which would you recommend the most according to my usage needs? I have an iPod and I've dropped my Treo on cement many many times, so I would want something that can withstand some beatings.

Any ideas?

ps: i've posted this on both the Bold and iPhone forums
    Last edited by laula; 10-26-08 at 09:53 PM.
    10-26-08 09:51 PM
    the Curve is what i would go with....
    its cheaper and does what u need it to do well
    10-26-08 10:33 PM
    "Old Dog - New Trick" story for me - - - I played with the iPhone and could just not make the adjustment required to be good at typing on the screen - - I MUST have a physical keyboard and that's all there is to that. I know lots of people have made the adjustment, but I never will. Curve is a great phone and like the poster above said it will do everything you need. Go Bold if you want to splurge
    10-26-08 11:27 PM
    Well all depends how much functionality you need from the phone and how much data and memory you use. I am quite happy with my Curve as it being my first smart phone but I am using it as much as I can as I am learning. Reading up on many other phones the memory that the 8330 has I think its gonna take some real hard work to max out the memory with apps that I use every day. When I uses other programs at once the lag I rarely notice any lag.
    10-26-08 11:33 PM
    well, this kind depends on what you use it for. i've had a treo, winmo (htc wizard), and a bb curve. i was on the fence with the iPhone for quite a while, but ended up getting the bb curve because of the costly iPhone data plans and the following other reasons:

(1) OPERATING SYSTEM
    what kind of OS (e.g., XP, Vista, OS-X) is your desktop and/or laptop?
    from what i've read, it's rather difficult to sync (e.g., calendar, contacts, notes, tasks) your bb with a MAC. so if you have a MAC, then go with an iPhone; however, you can use the MissingSync to better manage syncing a bb with OS-X. if you have a pc, bb syncs quite well. i'm not too sure how well the iPhone syncs with pc's.

(2) DEVICE USE

(a) EMAIL
    if you are a hardcore email hound; meaning you need your mail RIGHT now, then i'd go with BB. the iPhone is not handling push mail via MobileMe well right now, so that may be a deterrent for you. without MobileMe, you'll need to check your pop/imap mail manually or set it to check your mail every 5-min or so, but that'll kill your battery life pretty quickly.

(b) WEB SURFING
    if you want it for browsing the internet, then definitely go with the iPhone. hands-down. the bb web surfing is kind of lame.

(c) MEDIA
    iPhone is a multimedia pro. the bb is a good media player for music, but so-so with video.

(3) HARDWARE

(a) i love having a full, hard QWERTY keyboard. this was the deal breaker for me with the iPhone.

(b) the iPhone is rather delicate. the front face is GLASS, so if you drop it you may be in a world of hurt.

with all that said, i like the simplicity of the bb os, it's email capability, and hard keyboard. but, i will be purchasing the iPod touch to get my multitouch kick.
    Last edited by extraducksauce; 10-27-08 at 12:27 AM.
    10-27-08 12:00 AM
    you should also check out this thread: iPhone users who left for the BOLD
    10-27-08 12:33 AM
    Choose between the Curve or the Bold. Forget the iPhone and it's lack of features.

You mentioned texting. The iPhone can do this only in a very basic way. There is no way to delete single replies to an SMS conversation. It's either the whole thing or none. No way to forward SMS messages either.

There is also no MMS messaging. Apple seems to think this is no longer wanted or used for some strange reason.

Email is also very basic. You can only attach one photo at a time and there is reply and forward functions and you can move them to other folders.

No cut and paste. no creating folders for apps or photos, no search, and the biggie -- apps cannot run in the background. Once you close an app, it's closed. This isn't very nice when you have a task app that can only remind you of something once you open the app. Yes, that's true!

I can go on and on but hopefully this will help you decide some. I have a Curve 8310 and I still have an iPhone but I rarely use the iPhone anymore. I love my Curve!
    10-27-08 01:05 AM

(a) EMAIL
    if you are a hardcore email hound; meaning you need your mail RIGHT now, then i'd go with BB. the iPhone is not handling push mail via MobileMe well right now, so that may be a deterrent for you. without MobileMe, you'll need to check your pop/imap mail manually or set it to check your mail every 5-min or so, but that'll kill your battery life pretty quickly.

(3) HARDWARE

(b) the iPhone is rather delicate. the front face is GLASS, so if you drop it you may be in a world of hurt.

I think 'duck' had some good points and I liked how he broke down to the important reasons...but...
    One of my closest friend/co worker has an iPhone so I have spent a lot of time with it. I have to ad my 2 cents...

Email -
    His phone handles email like a champ and even gets his work email pushed. I can not do this as I don't have permission through BES (only district bosses) For some reason he gets around this with the iPhone and it rocks...

Hardware -
    I have seen him drop his phone many times. It is in no way "delicate"...

Now, I will add I LOVE my Curve and don't ever anticipate going to Apple (this is coming from a Mac User) Now I just sit and wait patiently for the Javelin (or 8900, which ever you prefer)
    10-27-08 01:13 AM
    hey guys thanks for all the help!! i'm still debating on which phone to get...but I really think that it's the curve or bold...
    10-27-08 11:23 PM
    really your choices should be the bold or javelin (updated curve) now. lol.
    10-27-08 11:44 PM
    well Rogers, my carrier, doesn't have javelin...and I've been through the other phone companies in canada and they all suck.

so i'm deciding between the bold and the curve now...

does the bold have true html browsing like the iPhone?
    10-27-08 11:46 PM
    I went from a Treo 750 to the 8330 Curve. It was a very smooth transition; I love my BB and will never buy another windows mobile brick.
    10-28-08 08:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD