I loaded several albums of functional mp3's onto my microSD card via my PC's cardreader, then put the SD card into my 8330. The 8330 sees all the mp3's, but in the media player many of them show as having 0:00 play time. They will not play. Also if I set any of these as a ringtone, they do not play.

I pulled the card to check the mp3's and noticed that a Blackberry directory had been created on it that had a music subdir, so after checking the mp3's that wouldn't play I moved all album directories to the music subdir. Still the 8330 sees all the mp3's, but will only play a few of them.

I pulled the card and put it into my WM6 phone, just for kicks, and they all played fine.

What am I missing here?

Thank in advance
    07-28-08 08:43 AM
    I'm not sure...I had no problem playing all my songs...(597 to be exact) haha...someone should be able to help tho

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-08 08:52 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

Are all of the files mp3... or are some WMA, etc?
    07-28-08 08:53 AM
    all are mp3's, no DRM. all were ripped by me from my CD collection using EAC and lame, encoded @ 320kbps .

I'd say about 10% of the mp3's play, some albums have 1 or 2 working mp3's, others have none while some the entire album appears to work.

Other strange behavior I'm seeing:

when I launch the media player and select music, then artists not all the artists show up. Usually the last 5-8 @ the bottom of the alphabet don't show up. if I go back to the media player main menu and wait a few minutes then go back into music > artists all show up.
    07-28-08 09:03 AM
    I installed DM4.5 w/ the Roxio Media Manager and used it to copy all the mp3's back to the /Blackberry/Music directory on my SD card. the same behavior occurs.
    07-28-08 12:23 PM
    really...no one has seen this?
    07-28-08 03:25 PM
    i'm seeing the same problem, just happened today! i have a 8gb card filled and about 1/4 or 1/2 of my files are not listed in the media player.

here's what i've noticed...

1. you can view and execute the file from the explore view (open MEDIA app then BB button and select explore)

2. i *noticed* the missing mp3's only when i moved my files out of the music folders and into separate artist album folders. i stress *noticed* because this might have been happening before because i really was just messing around when i first got my microSD card and i haven't tried removing them from the folders and back in the music directory yet to verify that.

3. i also have full filenames now the first time i loaded music onto my card it was just copied off my ipod which uses 4 or 6 (i forget) character filenames, e.g., AWQE.mp3.

4. i've even edited an m3u playlist to include one of the missing files and it still won't find it.

So here's what's next in on my list of things to do...

A. find out if there is a filename limit or mp3 bitrate limit for the bb pearl

B. move all the music files out of there artist, album folders and into the music directory

C. rename unseen files to a smaller character limit (don't think this will help)

D. throw bb pearl against wall
    07-28-08 03:56 PM
    ...i'm not the only one. i have an 8 GB card and the media player only sees 1/4 to 1/2 of my music. was wondering why i had so little, then i went "exploring" with the menu button within the music folder and found all of my music.

i also found that in order to play the entire album, i have to be out of the folder, as in WMP.

so, if anyone finds solutions...
    07-28-08 07:06 PM
    For those who have mp3's not showing up, pull the battery while device is powered on and reinsert after 30 seconds. That should correct it.
    07-28-08 07:08 PM
    I have an 8320 with a 4gb hc card and I am experiencing the same problems. I have pretty much the whole card full of a mixture of wma and mp3, some ripped, and some downloaded with no drm. When I copied all the files onto the card (very slowly) using the usb lead in mass storage mode, and then disconnected the unit from the pc, it took about 20 mins before "all" of the artists showed up. It was only when I went searching for a particular album/artist that I found a couple were missing.

I currently use a hp ipaq as my main music player for the car/house, and I was looking to replace this with the Blakberry. With the ipaq I can quickly download an album, copy it to my sd card using a card reader, put it in the ipaq and it plays straight away with no messing. I was hoping to be able to do the same with the blackberry. The media player looks very impressive (like an ipod to me - not that I've ever used one), however if half of the music tracks aren't going to be there when I turn it on, there's not a lot of point in using it to play music.

Last night I downloaded 2 new albums and out them on teh blackberry. I got in the car this morning intending to listen to one of them, and only one of the two albums was there! - and the album turned out to be cr*p! so I was a bit pi**ed off!

Would there be any benefit in trying a third party music player? If so, can anyone recommend one??
    07-29-08 05:21 AM
    For those who have mp3's not showing up, pull the battery while device is powered on and reinsert after 30 seconds. That should correct it.

what about those who all the mp3's show up, most of them just show 0:00 play time?
    07-29-08 07:57 AM
    Tried the battery pull but no change. Took forever for the old files to show up too.
    07-29-08 08:05 AM
    I went into the All Songs part of the media player, scrolled through all my songs. most show 0:00 play time, some show only partial play time (e.g. 1:31 of a 5:00 minute song) while others show the full play time.
    07-29-08 08:50 AM
    tried the flipside player and it also cannot play the "bad" mp3s
    07-29-08 01:07 PM
    I just loaded up the Flipside player, and it found all of my allbums (including all the ones the standard player can't see) within 5 mins or so. Sorry to say it but I think it sounds like your files are the problem.

07-29-08 04:31 PM
    As I just got my Curve, I'm trying to do the same- I want to play my music on the BB.

I was able to take an MP3 (ripped by me) and play it on my 2GB card. The artist, title and time showed up OK. I think I added it by enabling Mass Storage and then dragging it onto the SD card directly when it was connected to my PC.

However, I also copied over some mp3 ringtones from my old Motoe815 and none of them played. I also had the 0:00 time for them as well. Somehow, one Midi file played.

I'l continue to monitor this thread.

Q: When adding mp3's do I need to use the Desktop Manager or can I simply drag/drop them onto the microSD card directly in the Music folder?

Any help is appreciated.
    Scott
    07-30-08 08:21 AM
    I've tried copying them using mass storage, and then removing them and re-copying them using the media manager. Neither makes any difference - you still end up with some albums missing. Its not reliable.

I've just bought the Flipside music player. It finds all the albums within a few minutes and you can browse you collection by album cover. I highly recommend it. Don't waste any more time trying to sort out the standard media player.

07-30-08 08:31 AM
    While geekjitsu's files may be corrupt, that still doesn't resolve the issue of the media player not seeing the files and folders.

I'm beginning to suspect that it is only able to work with 2 gb of data. While it is not the end of the world, I don't regret buying the 8 gb card.

The bb itself sees all of my music; I was just hoping there was a fix for the media player so that I didn't have to go the roundabout method.

To load my music I just dragged and dropped like a hard drive rather than using dm. Someone said there's no diff, but...
    07-30-08 09:27 AM
    I'd really recommend trying the flipside player. It found my 4gb no prob. If the bb is seeing 8gb I'm sure the flipside player will see it too. The have a trial version so you can test it out.

07-30-08 09:32 AM
    geekjitsu's problem is that the files don't play, not that the BB can't "see" them.

I have the same issue. Files play fine on the PC and Mac but not on the BB. They show up as 0:00 duration. Tried renaming the files and all the properties. No change. It's just certain files that won't play. No DRM, all mp3s, mix of ripped and downloaded files. Strange. I'll keep watching this thread.
    07-30-08 01:08 PM
    Having the same 0:00 problem. I copied some MP3's last week (first time) by drag'n'drop technique...these files worked and still work fine. I downloaded new music last night through mp3fiesta and used Windows Media Player to synch them. All of these new files are the 0:00 files. I can play them through my desktop, so I know the files are fully functional, I just can't play them through the BB music player. I've been thinking that WMP screwed up the works but since others are experiencing the same without using WMP, it must be something else. All of my other (working) mp3's have been run through SoundTaxi which is supposed to strip the licensing, i just don't have a working copy anymore.
    08-18-08 02:20 PM
    Just downloaded flipside...cool...but it doesn't play these files, either.
    08-18-08 02:31 PM
    I just copied over about 5gb of music onto my 8gb card last night. Not only did I not see all the songs, the entire BB slowed as well. I got the hour glass here and there. So much so that I returned the 8gb card today. Anyone else see a slowdown with a massive amount of songs?

08-18-08 02:39 PM
    Yeah, I also saw a massive drop in BB performance after I added songs� lotsa hourglasses.

I also have the same problem w/playing mp3s that I added. BB is selective as to which artists/albums/songs it plays. For example: I added AC/DC's "Powerage" album to the BB... it doesn't acknowledge that they are there at all. Then, I added 3 Jeff Beck albums� "Blow By Blow", "Wired" and "There & Back". The BB only recognizes the "Wired" songs. I have tried taking out the battery... that was a waste of time. I also deleted the songs, powered off the BB, and then turned it back on and loaded them again... no change.

All these songs play just fine on iTunes and Windows Media Player 9, just not on the BB. It's very frustrating... and it doesn't look like anyone here (myself included) has any ideas that work. Has anyone called Tech Support?
    08-19-08 06:28 PM
    I have resolved the issue!!! I used this software very successfully in the past to remove DRM junk from the MP3 files I once downloaded from Itunes and other semi-facist money machines and decided to try it again. The software is SoundTaxi. Files work fine now, so apparently there is something in the MP3 files that prevent BB MP from playing them.

That is all.
    08-21-08 10:51 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD