I've got an 8310 from my company. It's going to get setup with a BES link later today and once that happens I won't be able to load sofware on it any longer. Loading stuff like Google Maps was easy. But I bought a couple utilities off the software section of CB and I'm puzzled as to how to load them. The link that gets sent over to the BB via SMS generates an error in the browser. An using the zip file to my computer seems to require that I have the desktop software loaded (which out company doesn't use).

What am I doing wrong?

Bill
    08-14-08 09:41 AM
    I don't have BES, but I have had problems with OTA downloads at times. Are you using Opera Mini, or the carriers browser that was provided with the 8310? If Opera mini, try the link in the carriers browser. I have had better luck getting the links to work. If allowed, you can put the DM on your PC and load applications. Here is a download link:

BlackBerry - Desktop Software - BlackBerry Desktop Software at BlackBerry.com
    08-14-08 10:18 AM
    I've been using the carrier's browser.

I've got the desktop software and tried to load it but real early in the process you hit a screen that asks to know if you'll be using BES or BIS and an email address for the BB. I can't get past that. I'm going to be BES but I'm not setup yet and I don't know what will happen if I try setting it up via BIS for just a day or two.

Bill
    08-14-08 10:29 AM
    I know using BES, messages, calendar entries, notes, contacts, and tasks are sync'd OTA. You may be able to load DM on another PC not on BES and be able to load software that way. I am not sure about that one though! Perhaps another member has experience with this and can assist.
    08-14-08 12:42 PM
    sometimes when you are on BES, an IT policy will keep you from downloading apps
    08-14-08 12:46 PM
    can you load the apps via email ?
    08-14-08 12:48 PM
    can you load the apps via email ?

what do you mean?
    08-14-08 12:49 PM
    There are three ways (actually four but...) offered to load apps.
    1 - download file to your desktop and load it across to the BB
    2 - browser link sent by SMS
    3 - app file sent to BB by email

I can't do #1 because loading the desktop software requires me to create the email link to either BIS or BES. I would have to go the BES route but once that is done the company prevents apps from being loaded

#2 works for me with some apps but one in particular generates an unexpected error "500" (like any error is ever expected)

I can't do #3 because I don't have email hooked up to by BB yet. Once I get it hooked up, the company prevents apps from being loaded

The fourth route is to fire up the browser and navigate through to a spot where you can download directly from the web. This is essentially the long form of #2. And I get the same result.

So at this point since I'm having this problem with only one app there probably isn't much this group can do for me.
    08-14-08 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD