We started with the Tilt on the 9th of this month. After a week, she realized that she hated it. WiFi issues, settings changing at will, a little slow at times, and the weight. Like a barbell in her purse.

So we took it back and she settled on the Curve. Keyboard was the dealmaker. She texts like crazy and liked the keyboard more than the other models.

So we took it home and last Saturday I loaded 4.5 so she could use the full 8gb media card. The install could not have been smoother, and the card was immediately recognized and we put some music on it for her.

We have only one 3rd party app, a game, Nintaii, so she is running with about 29 megs free most of the time.

Everything was peachy for about 5 days. Then, when she was dialing a number, it locked. Completely. Over 5 minutes waiting, she finally pulled the battery and it came back. Last nite, it happened again. Then later, after work, she pulled out her phone from her purse and it was completely shut down. No key presses could wake it up. She did a battery pull again, and it came back.

I am not blown away by the BB. Last smart phone I had was the Sony/Erik p910. Sybian (sp?) OS. I NEVER had to do a battery pull. I could install apps to the memory card. It had a touch screen and a flip down keyboard. It worked as well as any geeky toy I ever owned.

This is our first BB, and I am (was) waiting on the Bold, but now I am rethinking my decision. For an item that is supposedly state-of-the-art for RIM, it has some glaring shortcomings. I hear BB worshippers belittle WM6.1, at the same time they are routinely doing battery pulls to get their phone back. At the same time, they are constantly monitoring their free memory to make sure they stay above the magical 12 megs free. Or else the unit starts deleting stuff for them. Nice.

Anyway, just a rant, I guess I will go back to 4.2 on the Curve and see if that helps. Some will criticize that that is what I get for using a non-approved OS. That argument has SOME merit, yet 4.5 is an approved OS on just about everyone else's Curve except AT&Ts.

So, there we are. Hope you guys are having better luck with your Curves. This is not meant to be a bash, so keep your panties out of a wad, I just wanted to share our, albeit short, experience.

Michael
    10-30-08 02:09 PM
    Just a thought, 29mb of free memory on a new curve with just one 3rd party app is not much. Give this a go.http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    10-30-08 02:13 PM
    What you are experiencing, the lock ups, has nothing to do with
    the phone but with the OS. The last 2 versions of 4.5 did the
    exact same thing to me also.

As far as memory, simply do one of the memory optimization
    procedures and you will almost never have to worry about it again.
    I have 20 apps, a few launchers and 2 theme and right now I am
    just under 30mb. I almost never check my memory (except at
    moments like this) but I rarely fall to less than 25.

And I really can't recall when I last did a battery pull for anything.
    I don't make a habit of it, I don't have a schedule for it. I do it
    when it needs to be done, and it's been quite a while since it has.

I am waiting for the official release from AT&T with the hope
    that that will be an improvement.

Finally, at the end of the day, it is your money and you have to
    live with the device, so if it doesn't blow your hair back, don't
    keep it. Exchange it for whatever works better for you.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 10-30-08 at 02:20 PM.
    10-30-08 02:17 PM
    Just a thought, 29mb of free memory on a new curve with just one 3rd party app is not much. Give this a go.http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    True, but 29 should be plenty to avoid batt pulls. I'm thinking there was an issue with the OS download or maybe a fault in the game...or it's just a bad device, only had it a couple days right? Maybe the OS download was just a coincidence. Hopefully, OP follows up with news on the downgrade.
    10-30-08 02:18 PM
    I know if you are running 4.2, you can put in an 8gb card and the system will see it. I know you can only use 4 gb, but my question, is if the card will still be reusable as 8gb when the final 4.5 is released, or will the BB lock the card somehow as a 4 gb?

I ask because I am a little gunshy about putting another 8gb in a BB with 4.2. I tried it when we first got the Curve. The BB asked me if I wanted to format it. I said yes and the card bricked. Nothing. BB reported a failure to format, and the card became completely unusable. Could not read or format it in anything. Not in 2 laptops, nor in a camera that uses SD cards.

So I am a little hesitant to try it again.

Thanks,
    Michael
    10-30-08 02:24 PM
    The card will be reusable. Simply copy the contents to your PC,
    format the card to 8gb in 4.5 and copy the contents back. I have an
    8gb card in mine on 4.2. Whenever I went up to 4.5 that is what I
    did and it always worked.
    10-30-08 02:29 PM
    so if it doesn't blow your hair back,
    You gotta let me use that!

True, but 29 should be plenty to avoid batt pulls. I'm thinking there was an issue with the OS download or maybe a fault in the game...or it's just a bad device...
    Yeah, but I kinda got the impression he had already made up his mind he didn't like the device. So I wasn't going to try to convince him otherwise. And he also didn't actually ask for help so...guess I was being lazy.
    10-30-08 02:32 PM
    Just my opinion but it could have something to do with the os you downloaded since it is not an official AT&T released 4.5 version.
    10-30-08 02:34 PM
    It's all yours pal
    10-30-08 02:36 PM
    Yah, not really looking for advice, as I searched and have read NUMEROUS posts regarding reloading, and tweaking mem, and all that stuff. Just wanted to rant about our experience with the device.

Wanted to make sure that others considering the Curve can check to see that all is not roses and champagne with it.

We will try putting back the 4.2 and see if she has any more problems. Let me say again, she loves the device for texting. She is Thai and texting really helps her with the learning of the language. My only complaint is that Predictive Texting for the device would make it perfect for her. Others argue that with a qwerty KB, predicting is unnecessary, but why not have it as an option? The tilt had both. Full keyboard and predictive text. She does miss that.

Anyway, the greatest part of BB is this site. Lots of information. Just too bad that so much help is necessary....

Thanks,
    Michael
    10-30-08 02:40 PM
    This is my first Blackberry and I am waiting to upgrade the OS so I can really learn about the phone. Sometimes upgrading might not be what you need.

Just a thought.
    10-30-08 02:44 PM
    Yeah predictive text is one of the things I like best about the Pearl
    but you can set up AutoText entries. That will make things a bit
    easier.
    10-30-08 02:47 PM
    Honestly I think you might be a victim of odd circumstance. I have no issues ever...I dont pull battery or anything. It ran fine for 5 days then all of a sudden it did this? It could be a wide array of things but I'd be willing to bet my money on the game.
    10-30-08 02:47 PM
    Although I've never really had any major issues with any of the betas - except for .10. Some have had a range of issues and have downgraded back to the original OS, reinstalled the beta OS, and noticed a difference. I frequently go from one OS to another- previously when I would get bored waiting for the BOLD.

Also, the only difference between a beta and the official OS release is the title change to "official" from the carrier. But, as AG said, you're the one paying for it. So, whatever device works for you.....Blackberry or not. Good luck
    10-30-08 02:51 PM

Yeah, but I kinda got the impression he had already made up his mind he didn't like the device. So I wasn't going to try to convince him otherwise. And he also didn't actually ask for help so...guess I was being lazy.
    I agree. If one issue stops you from using something then go get what you really want.
    Last edited by rlp32; 10-30-08 at 02:54 PM.
    10-30-08 02:52 PM
    I agree.[/quote]

Lol. I don't think anyone was really trying to convince him one way or another. They haven't posted yet IMO, it's his decision and opinion. Just another option that worked for some members of reinstalling. I purchased mine on eBay (October '07) and have abused the **** out of it. So far, it responds. I hope my BOLD is just as durable.
    10-30-08 03:03 PM
    Well its my opinion that if you get something and start messing with it, you have to have patience. Yea there's alot of ppl that have problems. Most of which are error's on their part. All you can do is try again and see if you figured it out or ask here and a bunch of people will help. I understand the venting thing but...theres alot of things that can go wrong ....I'll just shut my pie hole now.
    10-30-08 03:11 PM
    I had the same experience with my curve about a month ago, when i downloaded a "large" JPEG file attachment from my e-mail (around 1.4MB) to my 2GB MicroSD. The phone locked forever and i didn't know what happened, so i did a battery pull, but after i did it, the freeze happened again. I noticed a pattern after several battery pulls: The freeze happens the moment i try to access files from my Media Card. So i tried removing the media card instead, and it worked fine.

My conclusion was there was something wrong with one of the files in the media card that causes this. So i decided to backup the content of my media card and wiped it completely. I put my media card back in, and my curve worked fine again.

From then on, i'm always more careful and selective in downloading files from my e-mail and/or putting files into my media card. It turned out that the JPEG file i downloaded was corrupted (somehow someone managed to create a corrupted JPEG).

I see that you have a big (8GB) media card, and there may be a lot of stuff in there. So there is a possibility that one of the files is causing it. Try doing what i did, remove the media card, and see how it goes, just trying to help though. Because i'm still happy with my curve =)

Out of curiosity though, how do you manage to get 29MB free memory? I've done everything that was laid out in the tutorial on how to free more memory in the device, and after a battery pull, my free memory is only 19MB. I have 1 3rd party theme installed, 5 e-mail accounts that are constantly being emptied (because those accounts are also connected to my desktop, and i set them to auto delete after downloading to my desktop), facebook, freerange, YM, and MSN. That's it. I even opted not to install the Docs to go and slide to go on my device.

Cheers.
    10-30-08 03:23 PM
    My conclusion was there was something wrong with one of the files in the media card that causes this. So i decided to backup the content of my media card and wiped it completely. I put my media card back in, and my curve worked fine again.
    I suppose that could be the case, but we only put about 1gb of stuff on the card, and we did that the first day. We have not added anything lately. I told her today that if it did it again, remove the media card, and see if that fixes the issues.

Out of curiosity though, how do you manage to get 29MB free memory?
    This is an easy answer. She uses her curve for calling, playing media and texting only. We didn't even get a data plan for it, and we had ATT lock out the internet access so she couldn't accidentally go online. So she probably has a lot of available memory because she isn't using most of what the phone is normally used for.

Thanks for the thoughts, I will try to fix it this weekend.
    Michael
    10-30-08 03:33 PM
    Out of curiosity though, how do you manage to get 29MB free memory?
    Maybe THAT is the problem....too MUCH free memory...heh heh

Michael
    10-30-08 03:37 PM
    Last nite I downgraded the Curve back to the 4.2 available from ATT. The downgrade instructions worked well, and within 45 minutes I was back up and running with the old OS.

One curious note, I did the downgrade without the media card installed. I backed up the media card, and when the downgrade was finished, I popped in the media card and not only did it read it fine, the status reported the full size. Maybe the latest 4.2 now supports 8gb by itself.

I was too chicken to try to plug it into the puter after and see if mass storage mode worked, I bricked another 8gb card last week trying that. But I am happy to see she can use the whole card with 4.2. That was the only reason I installed 4.5 in the first place.

Now if I could just get that stuck pixel to wake up....

Michael
    10-31-08 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD