I'm not sure if it's because the 8320 is fairly new in the market thus why there are so many errors involving this particular cell phone.

I have a bunch of unanswered questions pertaining to the 8320.

First off I just recently upgraded from the T dash to the BB 8320 and the T Dash was so easy to use I never had to call for help or anything like that, it was pretty much straight forward.

My 8320 Faults:

Uncaught Errors
    Can't use any of the Messaging features.
    BB maps doesn't work.

Whats the point I sure don't want to have to add another $20 on my bill for a data plan just to use Yahoo messaging, Maps and Emails when it's totally free for the T Dash.

So far none of my questions have been answered including he 3hr talk with a BB service rep. All I can do with this $400 phone is make calls and surf the internet with wifi. If that's the case I think I just waisted my money.

I'm still waiting for answerers to these problems and if it works out I may change my mind about BB.
    Last edited by sonzilla; 02-13-08 at 05:06 PM.
    02-13-08 05:03 PM
    Please elaborate on your uncaught errors and message problems. Are the uncaught errors from 3rd party programs?

The only way you are going to get yahoo, maps, and email is with that $20 plan, which is considerably cheaper than any other carrier.
    02-13-08 05:20 PM
    So this is a fact I need a Data plan to run any of the messaging services including BB maps and google maps?
    Am I getting this correct.

The Uncaught java lang error is from when i tried to install yahoo messenger from blackberry.com/yahoodownload
    02-13-08 05:38 PM
    Yes. All those services require a data plan. What are you using to access the internet? T-Zones?
    02-13-08 05:42 PM
    Sunkast is right. I would love for my data plan with AT&T to only be 20 bucks. Right now in addition to the monthly charge i pay almost 50 bucks extra for unlimited data and messaging.
    02-13-08 05:45 PM
    I'm using Wifi from my Datalink wireless router. Every were I go whether it be from home at work or at a friends house I can gain access to a wireless network even when I'm driving I still get connected 80% of the time through WIFI. So that's like 95% of the time I'm connected to the internet everyday. Why pay T-zones lol

Anyways this is a big waist of money on my part. Because I had all these samefeatures such as messaging, maps GPS and email features on my T-Dash for FREE!!!..

I'm sending this S$%t back lol....
    Last edited by sonzilla; 02-13-08 at 05:52 PM.
    02-13-08 05:50 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like someone didn't research before buying. That surely doesn't make the BB bad, just makes you a poorly informed consumer imo. I'd much rather pony up .66 cents a day for the data package than depend on wandering into a wifi area. In the immortal words of Dennis Miller, "That's my opinion, I could be wrong. :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-08 06:09 PM
    Let me make some suggestions that I think will get you what you want. Wifi on the 8320 is good. And there are a few 3rd party applications that can connect over wifi.

I have Google Maps, and the Google Gmail application on my phone. I have been able to use them both over wifi. That takes care of maps and email.

As for Yahoo, aim, and the like, you can use JiveTalk. It's not free but there is a free 30 day trial. This is the best IM app for a BB. And on the plus side, the new beta v1.04 works over wifi. So you can use JiveTalk to connect to yahoo over wifi.
    Last edited by sunkast; 02-13-08 at 06:21 PM.
    02-13-08 06:18 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like someone didn't research before buying. That surely doesn't make the BB bad, just makes you a poorly informed consumer imo.
    I second this notion; despite my troubles with getting the service working, I'm quite happy with the device itself - and I did do my research. Anyway, you have 14 days from the purchase date to give it back, so if you truly are that unhappy with it, then there's nothing stopping you.
    02-13-08 06:26 PM
    How do you use that stff for FREE with the dash. I dont get it.
    02-13-08 06:31 PM
    Well it didn't cost me a dime to use AIM Yahoo and ICQ which I use daily for my job. But apparently even online through my router BB service reps tell me I still need a DATA plan to make it work. They said it it all has to do with Windows mobile vs. Blackberry services. Windows Mobile is less restrictive vs Blackberry services when it comes to online capabilities and applacation thus why I was able to use such GPS, AOL, AIM Email and Yahoo all FREE of CHARGE.

Well I just got off the phone with T- mobile and added the $20 Data Plan. >>>

lol The thing is I can't stand how slow the T-Dash is so I guess it evens out. I get total access to the internet including email and all the messaging features.

Damn I was so close to returning this phone. LMAO

Anywho does anyone know when the Video recording OS upgrade will be out?
    Last edited by sonzilla; 02-13-08 at 07:02 PM.
    02-13-08 06:48 PM
    I just recently got my bb curve and I am not having any problems after I added the 20 dollar service plan. Stop being cheap and get the service so you can really appreciate the curve
    02-13-08 06:54 PM
    ^^^ lol

It's so funny because I specifically told them I wanted something better than my Dash and they suggested the 8320 but never told me about the service plan. So I was looking forward to running similar applications on the 8320 but with a faster OS but oh was I wrong. I need the PLAN to make all the goodies work.

All that's left is the Video recording upgrade for the 8320. Still wondering when that's coming out.
    02-13-08 07:06 PM
    ^^^ lol

It's so funny because I specifically told them I wanted something better than my Dash and they suggested the 8320 but never told me about the service plan. So I was looking forward to running similar applications on the 8320 but with a faster OS but oh was I wrong. I need the PLAN to make all the goodies work.

All that's left is the Video recording upgrade for the 8320. Still wondering when that's coming out.
    Hence someone called you a uninformed consumer earlier on.

When you're buying something you can't depend on just a seller. "Hey, can do I do everything I did on my Dash with the BB 8320?" - Rep: Sure you can sir.

If you looked around first you would've known that Blackberry needs a data plan for almost everything, push email, bb messenger, etc. Wi-fi is just to save yourself some bucks while doing regular browsing, and to download things a bit faster, that's it, right now.

Good news is, more and more apps are being developed with that mindset now a days, for example, Jivetalk, while not free, the latest beta supports wifi connections.

But since Blackberries were for a long time heavily business-oriented, 3rd party application developers still keep that in mind when porting their application to the BB OS. I wouldn't call it restrictive, since the backbone of most of the features in a BB device are created with a Data plan in mind. Just the way it's been for a while.

If you wanted a device that was fast and could use WI-FI for everything, you needed a high end nokia or something
    02-13-08 07:28 PM
    hi there
    I got my BB 8230 two months ago, since then everything have worked fine. I can use all the instant messengers (msn.yahoo,google talk, aim), yahoo go!. gmail, google maps, jive talk and even surf the web without the 20 dollar data plan. I just added the Blackberry feature that is free of charge.Go to my tmobile.com and check ur account services for the BB feature. Thats why i love the curve and tmobile.i got everything in one device and its free!!!
    My plan 39.99+ 4.99 400 text msg and taxes

JMSONY
    02-13-08 10:00 PM
    See, I came from using a Sidekick II where $20/mo got you a slower and less compliant web browser, no attachment downloading or OTA downloads, no aftermarket software and lots of other restrictions. I looked at a dash when I was upgrading but it was so slow and kludgy (even in the store) that I couldn't do it. The keys on the SKII were the best i've ever used but the BB is way better than the dash.

The $20 is very worth it for the added speed and reliability...
    02-13-08 10:20 PM
    JMSONY for those who think there getting data service for free, your wrong. it will show on your bill if you print it out from the website. you have to print it out to get the full breakdown on charges. i thought that using BB IM was free cuase i had unlimited emails because it didnt show on the website so i kept using it and then one day i printed out the bill and it showed data charges for everyday i used it, but the charges are small becuase BB IM dont use much bits per messages. when you look at your bill on the site it just add it in with other charges
    02-14-08 03:20 AM
    Hello, got my tmobile curve about 2 weeks ago and I have to say this is probably the best phone I owned. I too came from a sidekick2 and I hated it. I went through 2 of them! Browsing and email is much faster on the curve and paying close to $3 for a ringtone was crazy! Since I had the sk2, I was already used to having a data plan. Its worth it if you travel or away from your computer and need to stay connected.

Although the sk2 was a crappy brick, the UI was much simple and polished and the keyboard easier to type with, but I am getting used to typing on the curve.

I demoed the dash and it was pretty solid. I then demoed the wing, would of gotten it if it wasn't so laggy and thick. The curve won me over for size and functionality. Good job RIM!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-08 04:42 AM
    hi there
    I got my BB 8230 two months ago, since then everything have worked fine. I can use all the instant messengers (msn.yahoo,google talk, aim), yahoo go!. gmail, google maps, jive talk and even surf the web without the 20 dollar data plan. I just added the Blackberry feature that is free of charge.Go to my tmobile.com and check ur account services for the BB feature. Thats why i love the curve and tmobile.i got everything in one device and its free!!!
    My plan 39.99+ 4.99 400 text msg and taxes

JMSONY
    If I were you I would double check your bill. The built in IM software on the Curve uses Data not SMS. You may be getting hit with a of a bill.
    02-14-08 05:30 AM
    He might be getting it free if he is using it over wifi, as hten he might not be getting charged as it is going over wifi and he just forgot to mention that to us.
    02-14-08 08:52 AM
    Another problem. lol

So far I'm going on one month with the BB Data plan and it's nice, sometimes slow in certain areas. But still I can't seem to get my YIM icon back. It simply disappeared, I can't seem to get it to work.

I followed the instructions on here to delete YIM and it's module but can someone tell me how thats even remotely possible if I don't even have a choice in the menu tab to delete the module.

freddy,
    03-02-08 11:12 AM
    Maybe you should of stuck with your T-Mobile Dash. You might not have push emails with the Dash but at least you will receive an email within the same week in which it was sent to you. Or maybe you could get a T-mobile Dash off of Ebay.
    03-02-08 11:18 AM
    Another problem. lol

So far I'm going on one month with the BB Data plan and it's nice, sometimes slow in certain areas. But still I can't seem to get my YIM icon back. It simply disappeared, I can't seem to get it to work.

I followed the instructions on here to delete YIM and it's module but can someone tell me how thats even remotely possible if I don't even have a choice in the menu tab to delete the module.

freddy,
    Did you check to see if you hid the icon?
    03-02-08 11:22 AM
    Well I went to the app screen clicked the menu button then hit show all still nothing. If that's what you were referring to?

I've searched every single thread on here regarding the deletion of the module for the 8320. For our model there isn't a way to delete the module is this correct?

I need to make this clear. ^^

Also removing the battery and reinstalling the app, for the record all of that stuff doesn't work.
    Others on this forum are having the exact same problem. It seems here at crackberry there isn't a solution. I just find that hard to believe.

I would really like to help out solve this never ending problem for many of the BB customers including myself.

freddy,
    Last edited by sonzilla; 03-02-08 at 12:06 PM.
    03-02-08 11:38 AM
    I opted for the 8310 without WiFi and paid for the full data plan becuase I don't want to worry about being in a WiFi hotspot. And besides, unless you are home or at a friends where you can access, don't you usually have to pay extra for the WiFi service to the place you are at? I know, for instance, McDonald's charges you to use their WiFi - at least my local one here does.
    03-02-08 11:49 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD