I have the Curve 8330 and I dont want to recieve a text message for every missed call or new email i recieve. Im very new to blackberry and am still learning but I hope there is a way to not recieve these anymore because I dont have unlimited text and i dont want those eating up my texts. Also, is there any FREE way to have more than 160 characters in SMS?
    05-16-09 10:44 PM
    I have the Curve 8330 and I dont want to recieve a text message for every missed call or new email i recieve. Im very new to blackberry and am still learning but I hope there is a way to not recieve these anymore because I dont have unlimited text and i dont want those eating up my texts. Also, is there any FREE way to have more than 160 characters in SMS?
    Missed calls and emails do not generate sms text messages. These are standard alerts for your berry so no worries. Email is total seperate and requires a data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 11:06 PM
    In SMS, the carrier limit is 160. If you keep typing more than 160 characters it should automatically split them up into separate texts but I'm not sure if the Verizon phones do this or not.

05-16-09 11:11 PM
    Yes, missed calls do indeed generate a text message. The OP does not have a text plan and doesn't want to get those. Sorry, but I don't know how to turn that off. You can stop call logging to the Messages box by going to Call Log > MenuKey > Options > Call Logging = None. Hopefully someone will be along with an answer.

Regarding texts greater than 160 characters, a new app called "Beyond 160" has recently surfaced here; it splits up messages into multiple texts -- but if you're worried about text costs, that will certainly not work in your favor :-). And it's not free except for a trial. http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/ver...chters-228018/

05-16-09 11:31 PM
    On a Blackberry, you can only type 160 character in a SMS. On some Verizon phones it will allow you to type up to 7 pages of 160 character each... But not on a Blackberry. One page of 160 characters. If you need to type more, that's what an email is for.

I read a little about SMS, and the guy that "invented" the SMS message types out a bunch of sentences and found that 160 characters was the magic number. So that's where the standard came from. A guy on a typewriter typing random sentences.

05-17-09 01:26 AM
    On a Blackberry, you can only type 160 character in a SMS. On some Verizon phones it will allow you to type up to 7 pages of 160 character each... But not on a Blackberry. One page of 160 characters. If you need to type more, that's what an email is for.
    Mark, Beyond 160 is reported in this forum by highly trusted people to work with Verizon and on a Curve or other BBs. Until now, you were right - not possible. But with this app, if you exceed 160, it opens a special window, pastes the text into it, lets you continue typing, and then sends separate text messages as necessary.

05-17-09 06:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD