Hi guys,

I've been hanging around the site now for a week or so after buying my first Blackberry (Curve 8310) and can I say you guys have been amazing for me so far, so thank you.

One problem, when receiving a text message longer than 160 characters long, it breaks the text up into 2/3/4 separate messages, depending on how long the text is. Then it says 'Receiving Text' in the subject box. I've never had this before -- every other phone I've had has retrieved the entire message, then posted it to me as one single message, so I can read it all in one go, and not have to flick between messages to read it all. Is there a fix for this? My carrier can't help(!), but if anyone can -- I know someone on here can! You guys are pro's. I checked out RIM's site, who said the phone has been designed this way -- and the way around it is to get the sender to send it to your e-mail?! That's not really a fix though... just a diversion!

Thanks guys.
    06-25-08 03:29 PM
    I'm almost positive there's no fix for this, just like there's no fix for not being able to type over a certain character length for messages on some carriers (I can't type over 160 w/ verizon). I could on my old phones but not my BB. Just something you have to learn to live with.
    06-25-08 03:38 PM
    Do you have to choose to receive it? If so you can set your sms to auto retrieve.
    I don't like how you have to use mms to send a long msg either but again no fix

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 03:43 PM
    Welcom to CrackBerry, first of all

To address your concern, this is not possible. I am able to compose messages (SMS) that are longer than 160 chars, and it composes them in the same message and then sends it as one message.

BUT when my Berry receives a long text (over the 160 char per message), then it breaks it up into multiple texts. This is just the way it works
    06-25-08 03:44 PM
    I just thought of an easy fix though!

When you receive the first message and it says (1/3) or 1 out of however many pages... wait for the other pages to be received. Then click on the most recent message and it should display the previous two parts in the "conversation" view. (If I am not mistaken... I just did this, but the message had already been read, so maybe that made a difference!)
    06-25-08 03:47 PM
    Just tell yours buddies not to be so verbose. j/k
    06-25-08 04:04 PM
    Haha, thanks Xtrap

Thanks for your help guys, and so quickly too. Blackberry should be paying you to do their job! It's a real shame about the SMS... I know it's predominantly a business-orientated phone, which is usually 'Yes' or 'No' answers (!) but with the growing popularity (with people like me) using it for personal purposes, it's not hugely 'user interface friendly'.

bmcclure, you're right, with the history activated, if you open the first message, the others are displayed below... this is some sort of reprieve for the BB! This does work... I just thought with a phone that's this technologically packed, it would come as an absolute standard. Fortunately, I don't have to retrieve them myself, it does that automatically.

Maybe I'm being too picky here... but did I hear someone sniffing around the other day about a more 'friendly' SMS function that you can download? I believe it used to be freeware, but now you have to pay (from what I can understand). SMS is a key thing for me, so the lack (albeit picky) of such features is a bit annoying.

Thanks again guys.
    06-25-08 05:22 PM
    This happens to me also but if someone on a sidekick sends me a msg longer than 160 characters I get it in one shot. Weird.
    06-25-08 05:56 PM
    sorry there is no way to fix it. you will just have to live with it
    06-25-08 06:02 PM
    I guess it varies by carrier? I'm limited to 160 characters on outgoing (SMS) messages but a friend of mine (also on Verizon) sends me much longer messages that come through as one message.
    06-25-08 07:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD