So I'm trying to text a friend who's in my contacts list...using SMS I get an error message a few minutes after sending that says "Message sent using invalid number of digits. Please resend using 10 digit number or valid shortcode. Msg 2114." The problem is I get this error message whether I use the area code or not, and I shouldn't have to use the AC since it's a local #.

So to get around this I tried sending a text using MMS, and those get thru just fine. Her replies, tho, come back thru SMS, but if I try to reply to her reply via SMS, I get the **** error message again. So I have to constantly go back to MMS to start a new text.

This is painfully frustrating, and the only conclusion I can come up with is that it's her carrier (AAA) causing the problem.

Any thoughts or ideas? I'm lost on this one.
    11-01-09 09:07 PM
    Do you have your area code entered in your Smart Dialing settings? If you don't, that may be causing the problem. Or it could be something in the switching between you and her that requires the area code. If you enter yours in your Smart Dialing settings, and enter her number using the full 10 digits, that should solve your problem. I enter all my contacts using 10 digits and let the BlackBerry decide whether it needs to send the area code or not.
    11-01-09 09:25 PM
    Do you have your area code entered in your Smart Dialing settings? If you don't, that may be causing the problem. Or it could be something in the switching between you and her that requires the area code. If you enter yours in your Smart Dialing settings, and enter her number using the full 10 digits, that should solve your problem. I enter all my contacts using 10 digits and let the BlackBerry decide whether it needs to send the area code or not.
    I've got my area code set in my Smart Dialing settings, but it doesn't matter whether I use hers or not, I still get the error either way wih SMS only. And my callback number in my SMS settings has the full 10 digits too.

???
    11-01-09 09:36 PM
    That makes it sound like a glitch in the switching systems between you and her. Is there anyone else in that area code that you could SMS? If SMS works between you and another user on a different carrier, that might point to a problem with her carrier. It might be easy to solve that with a call to her customer service. I assume you don't have this problem with any others that you text?
    11-01-09 09:44 PM
    All of my contacts, except 2 or 3, are within my area code, and I have no probs with anyone else when I text them; none of them are saved in my contact list with the local AC.

Her co-worker (and BFF) have no problems texting one another thru SMS, and I have no probs sending SMS to her friend; its just with her that this occurs.

I have a feeling its some strange thing with her carrier, and I'll probably just have to live with it. But thanks for your quick replies!
    11-01-09 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD