So, as of late yesterday evening my BB no longer displayed the "D" next to the check mark for SMS messages sent to other VZW customers. Subsequent investigation with VZW's customer support, a medicore-at-best experience, revealed that this feature has been "retired." Retired in lieu of what? Better signal coverage in fringe areas? More towers? Better features?

Most of us in rural areas rely on SMS messages because the usual answer to: "Can you hear me now?" is nothing but silence, followed by the ubiquitous three octave tone indicating that yet another call has been dropped by the Almighty Verizon. I would encourage everyone who saw the message acknowledgment indicator as a valuable feature to call VZW and tell them so. I was told that VZW is "tracking" customer responses to this feature change. Message confirmation, however, is still being provided for PIN messaging and BBM messages.

The only thing being "tracked" is VZW's bottom line.
    Last edited by JesseJames2007; 09-10-08 at 08:16 PM.
    09-10-08 08:14 PM
    SMS delivery confirmation still working here . . .
    09-10-08 08:22 PM
    SMS delivery confirmation still working here . . .
    It could be that I was misinformed by VZW. Although, I have 2 others who say they don't get delivery confirmation on their phones. One is using a BB, the other is using a standard phone.

The mystery deepens...
    09-10-08 08:23 PM
    That's strange, I don't see why they'd drop it. The 2 others you mentioned, are they in your area?
    09-10-08 08:24 PM
    As of Saturday (9/6) I still have the indicator showing, but I did notice it didn't show for everyone I txt. Possible its carrier dependent?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-08 08:28 PM
    Yes, it won't show up if you send a txt to a person that's not on the VZW network. At least that's how it works with VZW. What the OP is saying is that he's no longer getting confirmations when texting to in-network VZW customers.
    09-10-08 08:30 PM
    Here is the scoop on the D on your SMS. Starting yesterday this feature called DAK is being retired. It will totally be off line by the end of the month nationwide. It is being phased in over the month.
    09-10-08 08:34 PM
    Here is the scoop on the D on your SMS. Starting yesterday this feature called DAK is being retired. It will totally be off line by the end of the month nationwide. It is being phased in over the month.
    i guess they just couldnt find a way to charge for it so they're killing it.
    09-10-08 09:09 PM
    Yes mr anti VZW. THis is the entire reason. you are really good.

Actually it is being done to imprive network performance. Believe or not, that little D takes up a lot of resources. While I am not a network guru, but this is what they have told the reps.
    09-10-08 09:13 PM
    I belive that, I like knowing when people get there txt, but I can see it taking a lot of data traffic up, and keeping up with the continued rise of txting, that feature might make it hard.

09-10-08 09:22 PM
    Source? Also, the reason it's being retired?
    09-10-08 09:31 PM
    Working here in Pittsburgh, mine and the wifes.
    09-10-08 09:42 PM
    that sux, that is one of the features i missed about verizon
    09-10-08 09:43 PM
    I don't want to lose my delivery confirmation! I can understand it using up the network but I still hate to lose it. I'm glad I found out here first so I can start grieving for the loss now. Thanks for the heads up!
    09-10-08 09:45 PM
    Interesting. Well, so long and farewell to the big D. Really, the only reason I liked the D confirmation was to checkout who also had vzw, so that I knew I could call them utilizing my in minutes.

09-10-08 09:49 PM
    You can call VZW and voice a concern. There a method all reps can do to track consumer concerns about this
    09-10-08 09:51 PM
    Before seeing this thread I called in today to troubleshoot why I wasn't getting the D anymore. I was told they are retiring it also. I'm in phoenix.

09-10-08 10:00 PM
    i'm still getting mine. we'll see for how long...
    it doesn't really matter to me. i think i've only ever used that feature a handful of times in my many years with verizon, in that i never bother to check for the D or not. i can see how it might be useful, but i have never found it to be so. i'm guessing most people use it to make sure that the recipient has read the message you sent? i just assume they haven't read and/or understood it unless they respond. i have found that often times someone checks a message and forgets about it, or "accidentally" checks it (opens it but doesn't really see it, so it gets marked as "read" but they didn't really read it), so the D would make me think they read it when they probably didn't. if they don't respond, i'll text them again. "hey, did you get that message?"

little D, you won't be missed.
    not by me anyway.

my condolences to those of you that will be missing this feature.

-randy
    09-10-08 10:05 PM
    i get the "d" in northern NJ
    09-10-08 11:05 PM
    Maybe putting the D in all the Verizon logos and uploading them everywhere will make the Verizon execs. rethink phasing it out.

Seriously, I just can't imagine the network bandwidth being eaten up by something such as delivery confirmation.
    09-10-08 11:10 PM
    I hope V sends one of those "FREE" text messages, to inform everyone or it could get ugly with all the RESENDS and calls to 611.
    09-10-08 11:30 PM
    you have the option to turn it off if youd like
    09-11-08 01:34 AM
    It still works for me on sms & mms in NJ
    09-11-08 03:53 AM
    Still works as of now, Washington DC area.

09-11-08 08:56 AM
    mine still works
    09-11-08 07:29 PM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD