My girlfriend is running a curve 8310 for att with 4.5 and bbm 5.0. She just got an alert with a smile face that she says is normally for bbm. However there are no new updates. She deleted all messages and chats and even did a battery pull. I checked it out and can't find anything. Any help is appriciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-10 05:45 PM
    Do you mean that she has a bbm notification and no new messages? Did she open all messages? Check again. If she is sure, then it could be the phantom bbm icon. There are a number of threads about it here. I personally had that problem for two months and no amount of battery pulls solves it. There is only one thing to do if that is the case:

Plug your bb into the PC. Using desktop manager, go to backup and restore and then advanced. Clear the Blackberry Messenger database. BEFORE you do this, please backup your contacts as they will be erased from your phone. Back them up to an email address and when you open BBM again, you will be asked to reload your contacts and the indicator should be gone forever.
    It worked for me!
    03-19-10 07:35 PM
    the smiley face icon is for a group chat notification. is she sure there isnt a new message in the chat or someone commented on a picture that was posted? check all of those first. theres no need to reload anything. she has a notification that just isnt checked in the chat. sometimes they are easy to miss.
    03-19-10 08:13 PM
    Sorry guys I thought she deleted the chat already. She's trying that now will report back.

03-19-10 08:18 PM
    theres a bunch of things in the group it could be. new chat notifications, new pictures or comments, new lists etc.
    03-19-10 08:21 PM
    Still nothing. She even left the group and its still there. Were going to try that back up thing on sunday.

03-19-10 08:24 PM
    Still nothing. She even left the group and its still there. Were going to try that back up thing on sunday.

and battery pulls do not help? its probably stuck there because she left the group without checking the notification.

check the main messages folder and see if any of the group updates are in there. most people i know turn that off, but it maybe on. if theres a leftover update in there, she can delete it.
    03-19-10 08:29 PM
    I've had this happen after I've blocked a person's PIN, and they try sending a friend request. Battery pulls didn't fix it. I had to delete the BBM add request sitting in my email inbox, and removed the blocked PIN from the BBM ignore list. Kind of a pain, but that's what I've seen.

03-20-10 08:11 PM
    Thanks so much that was it. Blocked pin friend request. She sends her thanks to you guys. I'm trying to get her to post more lol.

03-21-10 02:32 AM
    Thanks jaydee5799. I had the same prob as the OP and your advice cleared up my smiley that was hanging around waaay too long!
    04-02-10 02:53 PM
    Those indicators that hang around are really bothersome! It drove me crazy looking at the total and mentally subtracting ONE because I couldn't get it to leave....
    Not that I COULDN'T subtract one mind you....
    Glad it worked for you!
    04-02-10 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD