I am a BB 8320 user in Colombia, with COMCEL as my service provider. In Colombia, each cellular service provider has a unique carrier code which must be used to dial internationally. The COMCEL code is 00444, which means that the code 00444 must be dialed before entering the country and city code when dialing internationally.

There are two problems that I am faced with; 1) all my contacts have been entered in my previous contacts data base (which I would like to import into my current BB) using the internally accepted + for international dialing, which will work in most countries without the unique carrier code system, and 2) If I enter my international contact numbers using the 00444 in my contacts database, I will have to manually redial them when I am outside of Colombia. If I enter them using +, the number cant be dialed when within Colombia.

I have activated Smart Dialing and this does no do the trick, as I still must enter 00444 before any international phone number.

The only work around I could think of is to enter two numbers for each of my contacts, one for use in country, and one for use when outside the country. This would not appear to be the most efficient way to do things.

Can anyone suggest a work around that would allow me to use the + symbol in my contacts, and one have to enter the number once and not have to manually redial? Are there any other countries where these carrier codes cause a similar problem?

Thanks
    05-15-09 07:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD