All,

ive had a BB curve 8310 and it's been fantastic ever since i purchased it back in august. ive loved it but a few days ago i started running into some problems. im hoping you can help. ive researched a bit here, this seems like a great knowledge base, but my problem seems to be a bit different from everyone elses. ive jacked the battery out and done a hard reset but it doesnt seem to solve the problem. i have deleted the majority of my texts and emails too but i still have the same problem.

heres my status under settings before i describe my problem in depth:
    signal:-84 dBm
    battery: 85%
    file free: 10875600 bytes
    file total: 58064896 bytes
    my PIN and IMEI

i have a 8GB memory card too that i send all my pics and such too. and its all going there i verified that. i wiped out the few pics/videos i had on my device memory so im not sure what to do now.

a few weeks ago i did for the first time use myxer.com for a ringtone and i finally got the text message to open the ring tone after a few attempts. is it possible that i got a virus from here somehow?? and i used the website funmoremobile.com most recently and shortly after i run into problems. ever since i used myxer.com i get a text message every couple of days from a short number like 72873 with some random, weird, fact/message.

anyways...i text a lot usually all day and this BB has always been boom-boom, real quick when i navigate around and text. now it takes almost 5 seconds to open each text message and theres a pause after i send them. this never used to occur. it will freeze when i try navigating away from the text inbox when i hit the end call, red button. sometimes after i send them it will pause and illl just see the SMS text thing with no text messages and then after a bit it loads them all up.

my biggest issue is every few hours over the past few days i cant enter my SMS/txt inbox! ill click on the icon with the trackball and it wont do anything. but i can click on every other icon and access them. even if i manually hit the enter key it wont work. so im forced to power off my phone and shortly turn it on. ive done hard reset by jacking battery out and it doesnt fix anything.

now when i boot it back up i get typically two error messages before i can access my text inbox again with the same similiar, slow symptons as descrribed above. the error is as follow and the appl number always seems to change.

uncaught exception: application_net_rim_bb_messaging_app(861) is not responding; process terminated

that app number, in this case 861, changes all the time when i reboot it. any clue what the heck this means? think i have some virus? im also having trouble sending/receiving pic msgs and i never have before.

thanks for the help in advance!!
    12-26-08 02:44 PM
    Hmmm, i know it's not a virus, there is none for BB, yet. You might need to wipe the device and reload the OS. Let's see what the others say...
    12-26-08 02:46 PM
    For starters your file free memory is very low.http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

I agree with SD as well, what OS (operating system)is on the phone? Options>about...
    12-26-08 02:47 PM
    im not sure exactly what OS it is...i see BB 8310 smartphone (edge) v4.2.2.170 (platform 2.5.0.30)
    cryptographic kernal v3.8.4.4.7

its a java powered device powered by voicesignal vcsuite 2.1
    version:2036 [lvr:7391.2]
    build: 0233

this help any
    ???
    12-26-08 03:29 PM
    4.2.2.170 is your OS. Which is really old. I'll get you a link to the latest.
    12-26-08 03:53 PM
    Go here...https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4 Select your phone in the drop down menu and download the top OS.
    BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.152 (Multilanguage)
    12-26-08 03:55 PM
    12-26-08 03:57 PM
    When thats done have a look at the guide I provided in post 3 to get the most out of your phones memory. When your done it will sing better than the day you got it!
    12-26-08 04:00 PM
    thank you PTL. when i go to that OS upgrade link which package am I selecting to DL to my PC first? the very first link?

i have to do a back up before I DL the new OS from my PC to BB but what will I lose from this? anything or will the back up catch everything?
    12-27-08 12:25 PM
    Yes the first one. Back up will save your contacts, settings and data. It will not back up third party apps, so if you have some of those (especially ones you paid for) You would need this..http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/ But since you're not doing a full wipe of the device you shouldn't need it but It's good just in case the update goes badly.
    12-27-08 12:34 PM
    This is going to take you an hour or so, so read through the steps first then take your time and follow them carefully. You can make real mess of things if not done correctly, but you can't do any thing to it that cant be undone. We'll be here if you need help.
    12-27-08 12:37 PM
    so in 3rd party apps it would toss out like gmail app and google maps?

will it mess up my BB email settings??
    12-27-08 12:42 PM
    It's not going to "toss" them out, It just doesnt back them up. They shouldn't go anywhere and if thats all you have I wouldn't worry about it because you can easily redownload it. It won't hurt your email. You may need to send your service books to get HTML email that comes with 4.5
    12-27-08 12:59 PM
    oh wow...i just resent my service books for starters and ive seen a huge difference. do you think this may be all i need to do?

or do you still recomend getting the latest OS on there?
    12-27-08 07:32 PM
    Your low file free concerns me most. You need to free up more or you'll be seeing the same symptoms.
    12-27-08 07:39 PM
    i did some clearing up and now im at 15594351

would that suffice?
    12-28-08 12:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD