Can someone please explain to me what is a good signal strength in dBm. Bars are ***** proof, but these numbers confuse me. I guess it goes up to -256 (which is no signal), but it seems to be just as bad when it's let's say -8. I might be wrong, but I'm just trying to figure out what dBm range shows strongest signal.

Thank you all in advance!
    parabellum
    02-09-08 12:41 AM
    Lower the number, the better the signal and the less work it requires for your phone to keep the signal. Anything in the -50 to -80 range is pretty good.
    02-09-08 07:47 AM
    I was wondering whether high or low was good
    02-09-08 12:14 PM
    Mine is typically in the mid 80's. Is there a way to check while using the phone. There have been a few times I lost signal but as soon as the phone hangs up its full bars or close to full
    02-09-08 01:33 PM
    Mine is usually in 80's also. Today am getting in the 90's though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-08 02:22 PM
    To see your signal strength in numbers, hold down Alt and press N,M,L,L. The signal bars at the top corner of your screen will disappear and be replaced with numbers (ie your signal strength in dBm). To toggle back to bars again do the same thing (ALT+NMLL).
    Hope this helps
    10-31-09 05:00 PM
    -70 to -90 is optimal.
    10-31-09 05:34 PM
    As a cable tech, I know that its the lower the number (in negatives) the better, for example, -20 is a better signal than -30 etc etc, now if you go into the positive range +30 is better than +20.....

signal is measured in db or decibels, same as with Cable Television, and anything that uses a radio frequency.....

Take for example, use the "secret code" (alt-NMLL) above to convert your bars to numbers, start inside a building where you know you have a weak signal, then go outside, you will see that number drop, thus an increase in signal, now go back inside, you will see the number go up, thus losing signal.

I hope this has cleared up any confusion. below is a chart (estimate only) of signal ranges.

Full Signal:-70 or lower
    Optimal signal:-70 to -75
    Fair signal:-75 to -85
    poor signal: -85 or higher
    Last edited by mfkn.drake; 10-31-09 at 11:54 PM. Reason: grammar correction
    10-31-09 11:48 PM
    To see your signal strength in numbers, hold down Alt and press N,M,L,L. The signal bars at the top corner of your screen will disappear and be replaced with numbers (ie your signal strength in dBm).
    I did this and I like the numerical signal strength but for some reason it will disappear and I have to do the Alt NMLL again. What's up?
    01-09-10 09:35 PM
    I did this and I like the numerical signal strength but for some reason it will disappear and I have to do the Alt NMLL again. What's up?
    was it after a reboot?
    01-10-10 02:19 AM
    Mine is typically in the mid 80's. Is there a way to check while using the phone. There have been a few times I lost signal but as soon as the phone hangs up its full bars or close to full
    if you go to status (menu>options>status) or "Help Me!" (alt+shift+h) the dBm is listed there under signal strength
    01-10-10 02:37 AM
    was it after a reboot?
    Yes, of course. Thanks.
    01-10-10 10:57 AM
    My 9630 is running between 87 and 93 right now. I recall years ago that the twoers had to adjust their signal this time of year to adjust for the change in foliage... any truth to that?

My Tether has slowed somewhat also... used to get 1 Mb/s and now running 0.5 Mb/s?
    04-10-10 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD