My phone shows there are 2 new blackberry messenger messages on the main screen (shows smiley face and blinking red on LED light). I have tried a battery pull, downloaded the new update, looked in my saved messages and can't find them anywhere. I have also opened all my contacts and made sure the conversations were ended. Its driving me crazy any suggestions????
    12-23-09 11:23 AM
    Have you tried to open your message folder and type the "U" button? It pulls up any unread messages. That worked for me when I had a similar issue. Good luck.
    12-23-09 11:46 AM
    I'm having the exact same problem. It didn't appear til after downloading the update released today. There are no new messages shown in the messages folder or anywhere in BB Messenger. Tried power cycle and battery pull w/ no luck. Thanks for any help.
    12-23-09 01:17 PM
    I think mine didn't show up until after the update now that i think about it. I think I tried to download the update again to see if it would fix it...No Luck. I tried typing the "U" and it said that I had no unread messages. Anymore suggestions????
    12-23-09 01:28 PM
    what update!? lol the bbm one??????
    12-23-09 01:30 PM
    Yes if you want to call it an update. Seems to have fixed some of the problems but caused others!!
    12-23-09 01:33 PM
    According to RIM, the last two BBM updates .55 and .56 had a problem in their programming and caused the outage yesterday. After they got the data services up and running, they suggested that everyone upgrade to BBM .57 which should resolve the data issues. I downloaded it yesterday and everything seems to be working fine. Hopefully, any messages that were 'stuck' during the outages pushed through. I won't know for sure until I get feedback from clients. Luckily, I didn't erase my message/mail history. Am I alone to wonder if Blackberry Messenger was really to blame for the outage or was it something else that no one is willing to tell? Things that make you go HHHMMM..
    12-23-09 01:40 PM
    Am I alone to wonder if Blackberry Messenger was really to blame for the outage or was it something else that no one is willing to tell? Things that make you go HHHMMM..
    Alright, let's ponder.

BBM is Blackberry's most used program. Every message your send goes to their servers. There are 30,000,000 Blackberry uses. If 10% of them (3 million) are sending messages at a rate of 2-3 per minute - you are talking about 6-9million messages going from your phone to their servers, and then back.

If the KB for versions less than .56 and .55 were .1 (argument's sake) and they released .55 and the data was now .15 or .2, you just doubled the amount of data. Over 6-9 million messages. If it went up higher, by accident, then you are astronomically increasing the amount of data.

And I am sure more than 10% of Blackberry users actively BBM at any given time. Recompute the math.
    12-23-09 01:48 PM
    Alright, let's ponder.

BBM is Blackberry's most used program. Every message your send goes to their servers. There are 30,000,000 Blackberry uses. If 10% of them (3 million) are sending messages at a rate of 2-3 per minute - you are talking about 6-9million messages going from your phone to their servers, and then back.

If the KB for versions less than .56 and .55 were .1 (argument's sake) and they released .55 and the data was now .15 or .2, you just doubled the amount of data. Over 6-9 million messages. If it went up higher, by accident, then you are astronomically increasing the amount of data.

And I am sure more than 10% of Blackberry users actively BBM at any given time. Recompute the math.
    Although your numbers make sense for a bottleneck issue, I'm afraid I'm going to still ponder as there might be an underlying issue that will affect us BB users in the future. Remember, this happened earlier last week as well. Meaning this is the second time it happened. It should have been caught back then. I'm not willing to take chances with my business matters. And to have BB messenger also take down the whole BB data service? RIM is falling behind on technology, and it's not looking very good for them right now.
    Last edited by Kepeli; 12-23-09 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Addition of Information..
    12-23-09 02:06 PM
    All great arguments but the problem still persists. BBM and the rest of the phone appear to work fine, but the blinking red LED and the new BBM messsages icon @ the top of the screen are about to drive me insane. Anyone have any constructive input toward a solution ??? Thanks.
    12-23-09 07:52 PM
    Check your settings under your Profiles and make sure that under your Messenger LED alerts are set correctly and that your Beeps and Tones are set correctly as well.
    12-24-09 03:13 AM
    All settings are the same as they have always been.
    12-24-09 01:04 PM
    i have the same issue and it is driving me crazy
    12-24-09 02:21 PM
    Hello BB users,
    I too, was annoyed by the new message icon on top and yet couldn't find them.
    I just found out how: In the BBMessenger, click on Menu and roll down to Search.. then leave the name blank (meaning you'd want to search for messages from all users). If you're successful with the search, you'll see all messages/phone logs that are unread and read.
    Now all you need to do is read the unread messages and file/delete them. Then the LED blinking would go away as well.

However I also downloaded the LEDreset app that takes care of the crazy blinkings.
    url: FREE! LEDReset for BlackBerry Resets Ghost LEDs | Apps & Games | BlackBerry Rocks!

good luck,
    Tiv

My phone shows there are 2 new blackberry messenger messages on the main screen (shows smiley face and blinking red on LED light). I have tried a battery pull, downloaded the new update, looked in my saved messages and can't find them anywhere. I have also opened all my contacts and made sure the conversations were ended. Its driving me crazy any suggestions????
    12-24-09 02:55 PM
    Thanks for the reply but that doesn't work either. I don't have a search option in the BBM menu, (maybe a carrier or model specific option?). However, using the search icon from the home screen and searching for "unread" I get a list of all messaging programs on the phone and all show no unread messages.
    12-25-09 08:47 PM
    I think I finally got my messages to go away!! I went to Options then Advanced Options then Wireless Upgrade and upgraded the software on my phone. It took about an hour and you can't use your phone while it downloads. It said it would take 2 hours but mine didn't. Hope this helps everyone else too!
    02-20-10 03:48 PM
    Another way to solve this problem is to leave your OS alone and downgrade BBM to 5.0.0.33

So i have been told.
    02-22-10 11:44 AM
    Mine was a matter of having some missed calls still showing up. I never looked at them so they still were "new" and showing up in the message count. Once I went in and deleted the missed calls - my counts and led were good once again.
    02-22-10 04:09 PM
    no the search function is on all phones regardless of carrier. it is not in the BBM menu. It is in the menu of the messages folder. Press blackberry button while in your messages folder and scroll to search. if there is an unread message on your phone the search function should find it regardless of what folder its in.
    03-06-10 09:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD