I have the Curve 8310 which had OS 4.5.0.55 preloaded by my carrier, Vodafone in South Africa.

I have noticed that there is a later version of OS 4.5.0.xx available on the RIM website, but the Vodafone (South Africa) website only has my existing version (#.55) available for download.

Would there be a problem if I installed the more up-to-date OS from the RIM website, or should I wait until my carrier makes it available?

What are the differences between my version and the latest version?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 11:14 PM
    I dont think you would see much difference at all unless the OS you are on is one that is known to be buggy, the members here will tell you that. If you have the video camera, html email, etc then the upgrade would be negligible and not worth it IMO. Hope someone else has a better answer...

Upgrading however to a later OS is perfectly fine, you can do that sure if you wish - see the sticky post on this forum at the top for the latest OS version for the 8310
    03-23-09 11:18 PM
    Rock paper scissors

03-23-09 11:24 PM
    Well, I read through the lengthy sticky post above and went ahead and successfully upgraded my OS from 4.5.0.55 to 4.5.0.124, mainly because I just like to be up to date and also because I like a little challenge! I must say that it was a bit nerve-racking!

So far, as was mentioned, I do not see any material differences, except that my free memory has increased from around 13-14MB to about 24MB!

Where can I find the change log data for the various OS versions?

03-24-09 10:05 PM
    For everyone else reading this post, be sure to check and see if your warranty is voided by upgrading to an OS version different from what is provided by your carrier.
    03-24-09 10:16 PM
    Well, I read through the lengthy sticky post above and went ahead and successfully upgraded my OS from 4.5.0.55 to 4.5.0.124, mainly because I just like to be up to date and also because I like a little challenge! I must say that it was a bit nerve-racking!

So far, as was mentioned, I do not see any material differences, except that my free memory has increased from around 13-14MB to about 24MB!

Where can I find the change log data for the various OS versions?

There's no change log. All that's changes is fixing bugs/memory leaks, etc. from previous versions of OS 4.5.
    03-25-09 07:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD