I have a T-mobile 8320 and my carrier is AT&T. I am on OS 4.2.2 and I am getting the itch to upgrade to 4.5. I do not have a data plan. My dilema is, my USB port does not work on my phone so I would have to be able to upgrade it using bluetooth. Does anyone know if this is possible or has done this? I can run the desktop manager, but the only things that work are "Backup and restore" and "Synchronize". "Media manager", "application loader" and "device switch wizard" icons are all greyed out.

Another option would be to upgrade OTA using my wi-fi connection, but I have not been able to find anyone who has done this.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Regards,

Sprybry
    03-29-09 09:28 AM
    I am not sure you can upgrade without a usb. I know OTA is coming, but I am sure you would need the data plan. Many OTAs don't work on wi-fi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-09 09:31 AM
    As of right now the only way to upgrade your OS is through DM. However, if you don't have a data plan, the upgraded OS isn't gonna make a ton of difference for you anyway IMO.
    03-29-09 09:32 AM
    You can't update without a working USB port on the device.
    03-29-09 09:32 AM
    The "official" OS 4.5 update from RIM can be done on line. You may be able to do this through BT.
    03-29-09 09:37 AM
    THis can be done web based, but like stated, not wthout a working USB port. Also you do not want the DM installed on your computer

Web-based BlackBerry Device Software updates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doc ID : KB16071
    Last Modified : 01-21-2009
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment
    BlackBerry� Device Software

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview
    BlackBerry smartphone users have the option of updating the BlackBerry Device Software on their BlackBerry smartphones using web-based technology available on the BlackBerry Device Software updates web site. As part of the web-based BlackBerry Device Software update process, BlackBerry smartphone users are provided with a list of available BlackBerry Device Software updates that are approved by their wireless service providers.

Web-based BlackBerry Device Software updates allow BlackBerry smartphone users to perform the following tasks:

Update the BlackBerry Device Software on their BlackBerry smartphones
    Add or remove applications and support for languages
    Turn on or turn off notifications for available BlackBerry Device Software updates
    To perform a web-based BlackBerry Device Software update, the following are required:

BlackBerry smartphone with at least 32 MB of flash memory
    BlackBerry smartphone capable of running BlackBerry Device Software 4.5 or later (for example, BlackBerry� 8700 Series, BlackBerry� 8800 Series, BlackBerry� Pearl™ 8100 Series, or BlackBerry� Curve™ 8300 Series)
    Computer running Windows� 2000 or later
    Computer with an available USB port
    Computer running Windows� Internet Explorer� 6 or 7
    Note: Web-based updates are not available for BlackBerry smartphones that are associated with a BlackBerry� Enterprise Server or with BlackBerry� Professional Software.

For instructions on how to perform web-based BlackBerry Device Software updates, see KB16068.

Perform a web-based BlackBerry Device Software update

Doc ID : KB16068
    Last Modified : 12-10-2008
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment
    BlackBerry� Device Software

Overview
    To perform a web-based BlackBerry Device Software update, complete the following steps:

Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer using a USB connection.
    On the computer, navigate to the BlackBerry Device Software updates web site.
    Click Check for Updates.
    If the Application Loader tool is not installed on the computer, complete the following steps:
    In the File Download - Security Warning dialog box, click Run.

In the Internet Explorer - Security Warning dialog box, click Run.

When prompted, restart the computer.
    On the computer, navigate to the BlackBerry Device Software updates web site.
    Click Check for Updates.
    In the Device connection dialog box, type the password for the BlackBerry smartphone.

Click OK.
    Complete the instructions on the screen to perform an available BlackBerry Device Software update.
    03-29-09 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD