Is there a way to load particular service books (ie. BB Browser) without owning a BIS or BES data plan? Can they be downloaded and installed (or activated) using Desktop Manager?

Thanks,
    -Eric
    01-08-08 11:59 AM
    Nope. You get what you pay for.

Service Books are pushed to your BB when your plan is in place.

One of us can't "send" you a Service Book.
    01-08-08 12:00 PM
    Thanks for the info! And I'd rather pay nuthin. Ah well, doing BB on the cheap is one way to go. Pretty operable at the moment.
    01-08-08 05:55 PM
    lol just get BIS its 10bucks on AT&T my wife has it
    01-08-08 06:18 PM
    Heh. Actually it's thirty bucks on ATT. I currently have the "regular" cell phone data plan for twenty, and I'm doing everything outside BIS. You're right that it's ten bucks more........but we'll see if it's worthwhile.

Really the only thing I'm missing is push email, and I use Gmail as my client so that's not really missing either. For some reason my Curve retains the ability for the BB browser to run, so I get OTA installs as well. Oh, I guess I'm missing BB messenger, but haven't used that much anyway when I have had BIS server.

Lookin' for cheep,
    -E

lol just get BIS its 10bucks on AT&T my wife has it
    01-08-08 08:30 PM
    I see you are a fellow non-Blackberry data plan user. IF you are interested in push-mail, try consilient.com. They offer free, push Pop email and it's quite good. Also, you asked about browser service books---I downloaded the Google Maps App, but found it used too much of my 10 megs of data. I deleted the App, and by some miracle, deleting the App got me the WAP Browser icon on my BB and it works! So, just a hint!
    01-09-08 07:05 AM
    frasereales I tried getting that Push thing for the POP mail... and it says my device isnt recognized... And there isnt any 8300 series in the list. Which model did you select?
    01-10-08 09:31 PM
    Either the 8100 or the 8700. BTW, don't be surprised if the App doesn't look as polished as it seems on their website. The interface for Blackberry is well behind their interface for other phones. Still, it's the next best thing to having Blackberry push email.
    01-11-08 07:07 AM
    Thanks for the info!
    02-17-09 02:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD