hey guys, i have a big problem, i think with my bb. i have an 8310 running 4.5.0.110 and my applications list is: aerize alerts, bb 4.5 core app properties, bb 4.5 system software properties, bb attachment service properties, bb messenger, brick breaker, browser, an extra theme, dialzero app, email setup app, google maps, memo pad, and phone, sorry for all that but i think i have a point. No myspace or facebook, or any other crazy apps that zapp memory, why do i only have 26,642,806 file free? i have seen curves just like mine with like 2 games, 3 extra themes, facebook, and a ton other apps on them and they have double the free memory, what gives? is there something wrong? please help. thanks in advance guys.
    12-27-08 01:13 AM
    They have an 8330 most likely.
    12-27-08 01:17 AM
    They have an 8330 most likely.
    nope, def the same exact phone as i do, just red.
    12-27-08 01:18 AM
    Try to do a soft rest and see if the memory will go up.... if it does go up then its the software that you use that is making the file memory decline...........
    12-27-08 01:52 AM
    26mb free on a 64mb device is very very good. You have nothing
    to worry about. And I doubt anyone with an 8310 is starting with
    40mb to 50mb free.
    12-27-08 02:54 AM
    AG is spot on, 26MB is excellent on an 8310 running 4.5 !!

My wifes 8310 still has the version of 4.2 that came from the at&t store.
    Her file free is consistently 29MB -32MB, While my modified 4.5. struggles to maintain 26MB.

I would be very interested to see the OS number of an 8310 with more than 35MB of file free space.
    12-27-08 07:49 AM
    That is alot of free memory. I didn't experience that kind of free space right out of the box.
    I was used to a good amount of free space on my Treo, but I always struggle to keep my BB mem above 17 (that is after a soft reset). I don't have much on my device beyond the stock stuff. Can anyone tell me how to get some of the 4.5 extra junk off my device?
    12-27-08 11:23 AM
    projectman go to the link in eight bit's sig. That will help you out. I used crackmem and never got my 8320 over 23mb.....but I rarely do battery pulls or anything like that at all. Even if I do do a pull it changes nothing so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
    12-27-08 11:35 AM
    26mb free on a 64mb device is very very good. You have nothing
    to worry about. And I doubt anyone with an 8310 is starting with
    40mb to 50mb free.
    OP-
    AG's right. That is the norm. Pull the battery or a SoftReset if you want to free up more - especially when you're down to 11 - 12. Even with memory optimization, you might reach 35 - 40. 50, well, I never did.
    12-27-08 11:37 AM
    wow, how are you guys even getting that much?? i know nothing about these blackberrys, but my wife has an 8310 on AT&T and i Just upgraded hers to the 4.5 system.

now i cant get her phone to stay about like 6-7 (6,XXX,XXX). i have to keep pulling the battery to get it up around 10 or 12. her phone is reallly really slow now and she is not happy that i did the upgrade. lol "it worked just find before!" lol

i have read the threads on how to free up space. she has hardly anything on her phone. no additional apps. a few pictures and ringtones. plus she has a memory card in it.

any help?
    12-27-08 11:40 AM
    projectman go to the link in eight bit's sig. That will help you out. I used crackmem and never got my 8320 over 23mb.....but I rarely do battery pulls or anything like that at all. Even if I do do a pull it changes nothing so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
    I am fairly new to the BB, but I am getting to recognize a soft reset point but I would like to be able to start out with more. Thanks for the redirect. I will try it immediately. Thanks,
    12-27-08 11:42 AM
    I agree with you. The fact that you rarely ever pull the battery is great. This is JMPO from my personal blackberries(that I abuse, update/downgrade at will):

I use the latest version(3.1?) for Pete6s' CrackMem. I also use the memory optimization will help free up additional memory. There are several versions on CB and other forums and I have used them numerous times when upgrading to another OS. However, CrackMem nor Memory Op will not alleviate memory leaks that do happen over time. That's where apps like SoftReset or QuickPull (by Zeventh), or a HardReset (battery pull) will reset and free up the memory utilized during heavy/normal use or moderate - severe memory leaks.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 12-27-08 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Edit
    12-27-08 12:12 PM
    I have an 8320 running 4.5.0.81.

However, I'm not running any other apps.
    All i have in the app list is:
    BlackBerry 4.5.0 Core Applications
    BlackBerry 4.5.0 System Software
    BlackBerry Attachment Service
    BBM
    Browser
    Email Setup
    MemoPad
    Phone

I'm pretty consistant between 26-27MB but what's causing me to be low when people runnning apps and themes are getting the same numbers I am.

That doesn't seem to make sense.
    12-27-08 01:15 PM
    You may also want to go into your browser hit the bb button go to options and then to cache opterations and delete all the history, pull battery and check memory again
    12-27-08 01:48 PM
    For those who are unsure about routine maintenance after following the memory optimization guide ( http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/ ):

Keep in mind that your file free memory is something to pay attention to, as well as your browser cache especially if your problems happen when you're in your browser. You do need to follow the memory optimization guide. Before you do that, you should take a couple steps to free up memory now - and these are the steps to follow if your ff drops to below 12mb again (I also put in good browser settings for you:-)):

First clear your cache and event log:
    Clear the Event Log: Open the log (alt-lglg)> press menu key> select clear log.

To clear your browser's cache, while in your browser> press menu key> select options> select cache operations> select clear content cache> press back.

Then reset your Curve. A soft is usually good, but a hard reset is close to a battery pull:
    Soft Reset for the Curve: press alt>right shift>delete keys at the same time.
    Hard Reset: press the alt>right shift>delete keys again after the BlackBerry's screen lights up after the first reset.

Then set up your browser:Browser Settings:
    Browser settings for improved view. While in your browser, press menu key> options> browser configuration> check all the boxes> make sure browser is set to internet browser> show images set to On WML and HTML Pages> emulation mode set to BlackBerry> click back and save.

And finally, take a good look at your apps and delete the ones you don't need.

Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-08 01:58 PM
    exelant- you are correct regarding the additional steps to free up more memory, however:

The apps I previously mentioned are equivalent to a "soft reset" as mentioned (alt>right shift>delete keys).

A double-soft reset (repeat the SR steps, again, as soon as the screen turns white) is equivalent to a hard reset/battery pull.

A battery pull is considered a hard reset.

Hey, I could be wrong and this has come up months and months ago in numerous threads.
    12-27-08 06:05 PM
    blacklatino, I agree with you too. Crackmem doesnt help with the "leaking" issue. I was just saying that I dont really have a leak issue. Dont get me wrong I have had a few issue with it before but I got it all figured out.
    12-27-08 07:20 PM
    blacklatino, I agree with you too. Crackmem doesnt help with the "leaking" issue. I was just saying that I dont really have a leak issue. Dont get me wrong I have had a few issue with it before but I got it all figured out.
    Lol. Just clarifying for the new person. I didn't want someone to assume that optimization would help with memory leaks. It happened to me last year. I was cyber-stalked for a month because "I" was responsible for her memory leaks
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 12-27-08 at 07:35 PM.
    12-27-08 07:31 PM
    LOL isnt it always somone elses fault. But yea I feel you, good thing you cleared it up before I had to explain myself after it got all messed up.
    12-27-08 08:57 PM
    AG is spot on, 26MB is excellent on an 8310 running 4.5 !!

My wifes 8310 still has the version of 4.2 that came from the at&t store.
    Her file free is consistently 29MB -32MB, While my modified 4.5. struggles to maintain 26MB.

I would be very interested to see the OS number of an 8310 with more than 35MB of file free space.
    wow, how are you guys even getting that much?? i know nothing about these blackberrys, but my wife has an 8310 on AT&T and i Just upgraded hers to the 4.5 system.

now i cant get her phone to stay about like 6-7 (6,XXX,XXX). i have to keep pulling the battery to get it up around 10 or 12. her phone is reallly really slow now and she is not happy that i did the upgrade. lol "it worked just find before!" lol

i have read the threads on how to free up space. she has hardly anything on her phone. no additional apps. a few pictures and ringtones. plus she has a memory card in it.

any help?

yea, from what i gather, its an os issue, apparently 4.5 has that much more packed into it than 4.2, with video and html email. looks like that seems to be the issue. thanks for all the help and opinons guys
    12-28-08 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD