To all those who dare to be different.

DISCLAIMER: (For those with shaky hands...please disregard this message)

I've been looking at screen covers and marveling at the prices charged for what amounts to a little more than clear tape over your screen to keep it from scratching....OK OK sure you can go to Amazon and get them for $4 but after shipping youve doubled your price....not to mention that few of you have commented on how lint can easily get attached to the cover in the process of putting it on. Well...worry no more, try as many times as you like!

Take a trip to the company warehouse and pick up two things.

A.) Packing tape
    B.) Exacto Knife

Pull a long strand of tape...being careful not to put your fingers on the portion that attaches to your screen. Lay it on using a Credit card to smooth out the bubbles, then CAREFULLY cut along the grove around your screen and track ball. Finally use a lint free cloth and rub thouroughly to give the dull tape a nice shinny finish. Ta Da!!!!

Pic (ScreenCover 1) shows materials
    Pic (ScreenCover 2) shows close up of tape on the BB Curve.
    06-05-08 01:41 PM
    AHAHAHAHHAHA!! thats pretty good, never thought of that! Looks clean too.
    06-05-08 01:42 PM
    But how well will one layer of tape protect your screen? Not to mention tape curls up over time. Keep us updated on how that works, it looks good but I'm a bit skeptical of how well it will work.
    06-05-08 01:51 PM
    Will certainly keep you updated.

However, I wasn't sure it would work either so I gave it some time...and now after nearly two weeks of carrying the phone like this no tape curling has started (after shoving it into my pocket and the OEM case continually) and no scratches. I must say though if tape fails to protect your screen, I doubt a cover you purchase could either, but if that is a real concern maybe try another layer of tape...it's pretty cheep!
    06-05-08 01:59 PM
    Haha, I've actually seen people take rocks to the screen covers and 0 damage was done to the screen. Not to mention some of the covers out there are self-healing, similar to drafting boards in that they seal cuts themselves. Pretty cool stuff in my mind.
    06-05-08 02:02 PM
    I'm also curious how much residue will be on the screen after the tape is removed...
    06-05-08 02:06 PM
    WOW....that is pretty cool...in that light I doubt tape could protect from a rock.

(note to self stay away from Rocks)

Which cover would you suggest CTenn.

My first attempt at putting this on was not so great with finger prints on the tape in some places. Second attempt was a charm, and pulling the tape off It left no trace of glue chud from the tape. However, over time it is a possibility!
    06-05-08 02:12 PM
    But how well will one layer of tape protect your screen? Not to mention tape curls up over time. Keep us updated on how that works, it looks good but I'm a bit skeptical of how well it will work.
    That's right CTenn, plus it discolours and if you try to remove the tape, there's that gluey residue left on your screen. Not sure if alcohol is a safe chemical to use on a BB screen, sorry dude I'll spend my money, already have and i can remove mines at any time.
    06-05-08 02:21 PM
    I've heard great things about BSEs, plus it's like 3 screen protectors for $6 or something.

Best Skins Ever Home Page
    06-05-08 03:22 PM
    Don't most screen protectors use some sort of sticky adhesive? I've read some threads where people have had Sticky chud left from Screen protectors they purchased...so I guess either way your stuck!
    06-05-08 03:25 PM
    I've got a screen protector for Seidio that actually applies without adhesive, and it leaves 0 residue. I've heard the BSE's also leave 0 residue as they are applied with water and the adhesive is simply washed off when the protector is taken off. Other protectors may have some messier adhesives, though these two I know to have good reputations.
    06-05-08 03:42 PM
    For those skeptics who feared the screen chud of tape as a screen protector, and furhter those who feared that tape would not protect from scratches. I am planning to sell my iPod which I've had for nearly 2.5yrs and used the exact same tape to cover and protect the screen. This tape has been on my iPod for 2yrs. and alas for my own concern of tape chud and the concern of those on crackberry i pealed the tape off my iPod and guess what...no tape chud or scratches. Of course I haven't thrown rocks at my iPod screen nor have I taken a hammer and chisel to it...however I can see the visible difference from where the protection was on the screen.
    06-09-08 03:20 PM
    I bought some fairly stiff and expensive stuff at a big cell phone store and cut it slightly smaller than the other dimensions of the screen. So far it's holding on - the lighter-weight screen material peels immediately when I insert my Curve into my carry holster.

Yesterday I noticed that Wal-Mart carries some generic protective screen material by the sheet at $5 per multiple-sheet package. I think I'll pick up some of it next time I need material.
    06-09-08 03:59 PM
    pretty cool idea... saving $$ is good nowadays, considering the price of gas
    06-09-08 04:02 PM
    All honesty, im not one to really cut out a custom screen protector. I paid the extra money for the invisible shield for my 8320 curve, and i completely love it. I know some people have complained about dust, there is no dust a few tiny imperfections near the blackberry logo at the top of the phone. But its only really noticable when the screen is off and sun is shining on it. When the backlight is on it looks just as brilliant as it did before application of the IS. No problems with application at all either, got it on the first try and not a bubble in it. If you can afford it i would recommend the IS to anyone who wants to protect their screen.
    06-09-08 04:19 PM
    pretty cool idea... saving $$ is good nowadays, considering the price of gas
    Except for the fact that I (A) don't have packing tape lying around, or (B) a set of XActo knives.

I would have to go out and spend 6 -8 dollars on supplies, not to mention the gas to get to Home Depot and back. For the same cost, I can sit on my toukis, order a BSE, have the USPS bring it to me and be done with it.

And knives of any kind, my BB, and my naturally klutzy self is so not a good combo.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-09-08 at 04:32 PM.
    06-09-08 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD