Not sure if I'm posting in right forum. Done searches and homework, but still have a couple of questions.

About to replace alltel 8830 with curve. WE's running OS 4.2.2.196 + 3rd party apps. Using DM 4.3

I've read the how-to upgrade threads, printed out OS upgrade and memory optimization instructions, backed up bb and 3rd party apps.

Is it worth installing my data & apps first to test everything on the curve before wiping & loading new OS? Or am I just being paranoid? I'm a recovering Treo user where I learned the hard way to be very, very careful with OS's & new software.

Is a DM newer than 4.3 recommended for OS 4.5?

Thanks!
    09-12-08 08:20 PM
    I would strongly discourage you from wiping and loading a new OS on a brand new curve. It will come with OS4.3. That has almost all the features of OS4.5. If you install a beta OS, you will invalidate your warranty. Then if the phone proves defective, you will have to roll-back the OS before you can return it.

I would suggest you install your apps and data and use the curve with the factory OS until you are sure you won't be exchanging it for another one.
    09-13-08 12:37 AM
    dont du it dude i did and i had to get a bvrand new phone it completely dead bricked my phone
    09-13-08 12:49 AM
    dont worry bout the warranty the trechs didnt even know what happened to it the just gave me a brand new phone after they tried everytrhing to bring it back in 15 mins lol
    09-13-08 12:50 AM
    dont du it dude i did and i had to get a bvrand new phone it completely dead bricked my phone
    This is why this is an awesome link:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/

As did I... So.. I'm now waiting until it's official. Lol

------------------------------------------------------

If you do mess anything up, or the download is messed up like mine, that should help you get your phone back, the people on here are great and can help most anyone.
    09-13-08 12:55 AM
    Thanks, guys for the input!

Jeff, appreciate you pointing out the warranty issue. Duh! That alone convinces me to sit tight for now. If and when Alltel officially drops their 4.5, do you know if installing it myself voids the warranty?
    Last edited by wyodog; 09-13-08 at 05:56 PM. Reason: grammar
    09-13-08 05:55 PM
    You'll be fine installing it yourself, once it's released. In fact, unless you're an enterprise user, you'll have to install it yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-08 06:08 PM
    nope, I'm the one-man IT department supporting my far-flung global bb operation! yeah, right...
    09-14-08 10:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD