I just got a blackberry curve 8330 and would like to set up my work e-mail on it.

My company does not use an enterprise server but does use RSA's Secure ID. This is a special encryption that uses a constantly changing PIN to login - it changes about every minute.

RSA offers an application to be compatible with the 8300 & 8310, but it doesn't list my 8330 as being compatible. [Crackberry won't let me post the link since I'm new... just do a google search for "Blackberry curve RSA Secure ID" and it will be the first link - RSA Secure ID Token 3.0 for Blackberry]

My first question is how different are the curve operating systems? if I load this software what's the chance it's going to work for my 8330 vs what's the chance that it's going to totally screw things up?

And if no one is sure of how compatible it will be, does anyone know of any other apps that would do the same thing?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    08-31-08 03:46 PM
    I checked the RSA site. It says their software works with BlackBerry OS 4.1 and 4.2. Your 8330 probably came with OS 4.3. That would explain why it's not listed as a compatible device. I doubt the RSA software would hurt your BlackBerry, but it probably won't run properly. My employer uses RSA Secure ID tokens with PCs, but not with BlackBerry's. We use BES instead.
    08-31-08 04:50 PM
    I would write to the company and ask the same question of them.

Given the inherrent security of The BlackBerry network I would have thought that if you make this work the strong RSA encryption generated by the RSA keyfob would be a very good solution.
    08-31-08 04:58 PM
    While I successfully installed RSA SecurID Token 3.0 on my new 8330 curve (os: 4.3), adding/installing the token attached to an email message crashed my device, forcing a reboot. This happened over and over.

From the release notes:

Release Notes
    RSA SecurID Token 3.0
    for BlackBerry
    June 5, 2008

Known Issues

This section explains issues that remain unresolved in this release.

Installation on BlackBerry OS version 4.3 not recommended
    RSA does not recommend installing the RSA SecurID Token application on devices running BlackBerry OS
    version 4.3. Changes made in RIM BlackBerry OS version 4.3 do not support certain functions of the application.
    09-26-08 02:41 PM
    I hope that you can help me. I am working with a Verizon 8330 with the 4.5.0.77 software and have tried with both RSA 3.0 and 2.1.1 software to get the token imported. I have had the token created to a 3.0 seed when attempting the push, or import and the device keeps resetting.

I then deleted the RSA applet and installed the 2.1 ver, had the seed downgraded - no go. I can't push the 2.0 seed, get the invalid seed message.

I am fed up with these Verizon devices, as I have figured out that the 2.1 works with everything else here in my corporate environment.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

If you need to email me... do so at chantal . boddie at g mail. No spaces of course. Thanks
    04-30-09 03:37 PM
    *bumping... Please I need assistance with this. Thanks!
    05-04-09 07:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD