I have a 8330 curve, the media manager does work and am running 4.5. Every time I turn on my computer Roxio Media Manager tries to install. I have uninstalled twice without fixing the problem.
    I get this error message:
    "Error 1706, No valid source could be found for product Roxio Manager.msi. Windows install cannot continue"

I have searched my hard drive and the BB install disk but no such file exists. It is very frustrating because the installer slows my computer. I will cancel the installation but a few minutes later it will run again. This is my first experience with a BB so any insight would be wonderful.

Thanks,
    02-12-09 10:14 AM
    I had the same problem with the Roxio, it was installed with your DM. All you can do is uninstall the DM and reinstall the DM w/o Roxio. That's what I had to do after fighting with it for along time.

Make sure and back up your device first.

Uninstall the Desktop software through the Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Blackberry Desktop Software > uninstall

Then empty the recycle bin, restart your computer and go to Blackberry.com and download the DM from there without media manager.

I hope that helps!

~Jazzi~

02-12-09 10:47 AM
    I had the same problem and boy was it a pain. Like Jazzi Rocks said install the DM without the media and you should be fine.
    02-12-09 11:14 AM
    I am having the exact same problem so guess I need to follow your steps. Will this have any effect if I am running 4.3 OS on my BB?

I have DM 4.3 installed now. I'm hesitant to upgrade my BB OS as I'm new. Also with Sprint so can only go to 4.5 OS on the BB. Does all of this matter and how so?
    Last edited by Irwin II; 03-23-09 at 07:58 PM.
    03-23-09 07:53 PM
    DM version won't effect your BB, but many will suggest that you only go as high as DM 4.6, since DM 4.7 has issues working with Curves.

OS 4.5 is the highest available for the Curve, and the OS version is independent of the DM version.
    03-23-09 08:07 PM
    So, just to be clear, it is ok to download/install DM ver 4.6 without Media Manager and keep OS 4.3 on the BB? I have read that DM 4.6 is the one to download. I forget the specific reasons why to use 4.6, however.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 06:48 AM
    The primary reason is that there are many members who have not been able to do OS updates using DM 4.7, which came out for the Storm. Therefore, DM 4.6 seems to be the highest version that works reliably with the Curve.
    03-24-09 07:17 AM
    I am getting ready to follow your steps Jazzi. Am I correct in assuming that I just do a standard or normal installation (not custom) just like I did from the original CD that came with my BB?

When uninstalling the BB Desktop, do I check the box to "Remove all user settings for Blackberry Desktop Software"?

Also, I am on Sprint so does it matter if I upgrade to 4.5 or 4.6 on DM? I realize I can only go to 4.5 on the OS for the BB.

Thanks for your help and support.
    Last edited by Irwin II; 03-26-09 at 11:40 PM. Reason: I keep thinking of more questions.....
    03-26-09 09:21 PM
    If you download DM without Media Manager, standard installation will be okay. You don't have check the "Remove all user settings for Blackberry Desktop Software" box.

Either 4.5 or 4.6 should be fine for you. Carrier doesn't matter.

You're welcome.
    03-27-09 06:46 AM
    Alright. Upgraded to DM 4.6. Followed your steps/advice to the letter. No problems. Installed, synced and I'm rollin'. Crackberry is pure heaven to us users. Thank you Thank you Thank you.
    03-27-09 11:39 PM
    Hi,
    I'm having same problem, and I want to uninstall DM and reinstall w/o Roxio MM to correct the endless loop of it trying to install. However, trying to uninstall Desktop Mgr in Add/Remove Prgms, Media Mgr tries to reinstall during the process and interrupts the uninstall of DM, giving me a error msg as such. Tried stopping msi.exe in Task Mgr, but still couldn't keep it inactive long enough to get through the Remove Desktop Mgr. Any suggestions?
    01-13-10 11:01 PM
    Hi,
    I'm having same problem, and I want to uninstall DM and reinstall w/o Roxio MM to correct the endless loop of it trying to install. However, trying to uninstall Desktop Mgr in Add/Remove Prgms, Media Mgr tries to reinstall during the process and interrupts the uninstall of DM, giving me a error msg as such. Tried stopping msi.exe in Task Mgr, but still couldn't keep it inactive long enough to get through the Remove Desktop Mgr. Any suggestions?
    You could try the tips listed here. http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/rox...23/index2.html
    01-13-10 11:21 PM
    Hi,
    Try booting PC in safe mode. Not sure that will do the trick but it might.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 11:22 PM
    Use task manager to shut down the recurring attempt to install Media Manager. Then you should be good to uninstall and reinstall DM without MM.

That has worked for me.

Let us know how it goes.
    01-14-10 07:54 PM
    Hi,
    Same problem. You cannot stop the install process using task mgr. As soon as you stop it, it starts on it's own. I like the idea of safe mode, I was kicking around that idea. Does anybody know if uninstalling DM, providing one can, will eliminate the Roxio problem? If I can uninstall it, do I re-install with the CD or web? Also, do I update to the latest version after? I currently have 4.6 on my 8350i. I am afraid to plug my BB into my PC right now.
    01-16-10 04:21 PM
    I have been able to stop the reinstall routine, but sometimes I had to use the task manager end program several times before it actually stopped the installation.

Yes you can uninstall DM and then download and install the latest version for your device WITHOUT media manager.
    01-16-10 05:06 PM
    I was finally able to get DM to uninstall, or at least it doesn't show up on the program list in control panel or in the start menu any more. I just lucked out I think and got it to uninstall while repeatedly stopping the Roxio auto install attempts with task mgr. However, the same auto install problem persists. I cannot get the Roxio to stop. I don't see any way to unload it since it sees itself as not yet installed, and it won't install either. This thing is like a virus!!! It interrupts everything I'm doing and interferes with shutting my computer down. Help!!! Thanks!
    01-21-10 11:13 AM
    I fixed mine after I put my mind to it. For me, this worked. First, I couldn't do anything in safe mode because you can't run an uninstall in safe mode. I have Revo Uninstaller on my PC. Best freeware around. What I did was I rebooted so that the Roxio install would start it's cycle. When that started I went into the task manager and stopped it. I immediately went to my Revo program, I already had it opened. I hit the Blackberry Desktop Manager program and started an advanced uninstall. I always use the advanced option because it will look for every piece of the program left behind after a normal uninstall. Anyway, my objective was to get the uninstaller started before the Roxio wanted to start up again. As you know, the Roxio bypasses the task manager after a short period. While the uninstaller was doing it's thing, the Roxio tried to start up again. I was able to stop it again with task manager and finished the complete removal of the Blackberry program. I then rebooted and waited to see if the Roxio was gone, it was. I then installed a new, up to date version of Blackberry Desktop, 5.0.1. So far, so good. I believe that you need to eliminate every singe file fragment that your current Blackberry program has on your PC or else the Roxio will still be there, somewhere.
    01-21-10 11:42 AM
    I had the same problem last year. Because I don't use Roxio for anything else, I used search on my pc (hidden files also) to find every Roxio file on my hard drive and deleted them all.
    01-21-10 11:51 AM
    @ entelechysail- I too got roxio to eventually stop its reinstall routine using task manager. Sometimes it took 10 or more times to cancel the routine itself or by using task manager.

I had never even installed DM with MM, but had had OTHER previously installed Roxio programs that came loaded on my pc when I bought it. Perhaps this is the case with your pc and you may have the installation disks that include the infamous .msi file the reinstall routine is searching for.

If you don't have the disks, see if you can find the errant program and remove it with Add/Remove programs. If it's any consolation, the reinstall routine seems to stop itself as I haven't had any reoccurrence in several months.
    01-23-10 12:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD