Why is it that i can only download files that are smaller than 4-5 MB? What is it exactly that is limiting it, why, and is there any way to change it. When I try to open a video or a large song from the internet, it gives me an error message which says file size is too large.

Thanks
    01-31-08 11:10 PM
    As of right now, the only way your curve can stream files is to download them. It won't let you download files because the device memory is small. In all reality, you may have the space, but the phone reserves that space for proficient operating. You can download movies/music to your computer, and load them onto your phone if you've got a media card.
    02-01-08 01:45 AM
    Ya i found out that theres no streaming, but if i want to open a song that's very long i cant do it so theres no workaround even if you have the space on a card?
    02-02-08 02:37 AM
    Yeah I don't understand that either. I know the phone is probably using its internal memory while downloading the music/video but why is that an issue if I have 18mgs free?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-08 03:24 AM
    Does anyone know who it is that is putting this limit on us? Is it the phone or the service provider?
    02-03-08 01:06 AM
    I'm pretty sure you mean 400-500 KB, not 4-5 MB. This limit for requesting any one object over the Internet is imposed by the server, no matter how much memory space you have.

The corporate BES comes set to 128K, but it can be increased to as much as 1 MB. BIS seems to be set somewhere just under 500K, but I assume that your service provider can increase or decrease this. I also assume that they can't make it any bigger than 1 MB.

As to why this is, I imagine it's designed to make sure one user doesn't hog all the bandwidth, decreasing the quality of service for other users. There's also a question of expense to your company or carrier if you are downloading very big files.
    02-03-08 03:43 PM
    well, im talking about when i download something, lets say a song for example. if the file is under 4-5 MB it works. I just downloaded a 3.8MB song. So im pretty sure i mean 4-5 MB....
    02-04-08 06:27 AM
    Short of downloading the song onto your computer, then transferring it to a media card, nope. Sorry.
    02-04-08 10:09 AM
    well, im talking about when i download something, lets say a song for example. if the file is under 4-5 MB it works. I just downloaded a 3.8MB song. So im pretty sure i mean 4-5 MB....
    I think maybe it depends what type of file it is. I was testing with zip files and found that the limit was under 500K, but it may be that there's a bigger limit for songs. In any case, I still think it's the server that limits the size.
    02-04-08 01:39 PM
    ok, well thanks for your help... I'm wondering if there would be a way to do it through wifi? or does that still go through the server?
    02-05-08 11:39 PM
    I'm pretty sure that wi-fi doesn't go through the server, although I've heard that some carriers have a mode where everything goes through both, just in case of a weak signal or something. I think there is some setting you can change it to wi-fi only. I can't try any of this because I don't have a wi-fi Blackberry.

I did try to download a 3.6 MB music file. After 15 minutes it was halfway through and it quit with some error message. The server limit produces an "HTTP Error 413 Request entity too large" right at the beginning of the download (before it gets any data).
    02-07-08 01:08 AM
    barty - wifi or not, you'll still need a media card to download full songs and/or videos.

The issue here isn't what server said file is being accessed through, but the device memory.
    02-07-08 01:50 AM
    have you tried sending it thru your bluetooth signal?
    i have a bluetooth USB for my computer and i also bluetooth pictures,mp3 music files,and video from my phone to my friends phone and i havent ran into any size limitations.
    Last edited by teddybear2074; 02-07-08 at 03:02 AM.
    02-07-08 02:18 AM
    I have a 2g card, thats not the issue. I can put music and videos on my device fine, the reason I want to be able to download it from a site is because I am a musician and some of my bandmates who write songs post them on the internet, if the song is too long I cant listen to it. It makes it nice to be able to download (or open) their songs, listen to them, and be able to text them my opinion or feedback.
    02-07-08 02:14 PM
    The issue here isn't what server said file is being accessed through, but the device memory.
    Check out
    http://freeclassicaudiobooks.com/audiobooks/Sawyer/mp3 for some example mp3 files. I'm on Telus Mobility and anything over 5MB is impossible to download on the BlackBerry. Some other people on other carriers give it a try and report back. You don't have to download the whole file to know. If it starts downloading with a progress graph, it's willing to continue. Otherwise you'll just get a error message right after the file request is received. I was able to download the section labelled 4.9MB but not bigger ones.
    02-07-08 11:58 PM
    Check out
    http://freeclassicaudiobooks.com/audiobooks/Sawyer/mp3 for some example mp3 files. I'm on Telus Mobility and anything over 5MB is impossible to download on the BlackBerry. Some other people on other carriers give it a try and report back. You don't have to download the whole file to know. If it starts downloading with a progress graph, it's willing to continue. Otherwise you'll just get a error message right after the file request is received. I was able to download the section labelled 4.9MB but not bigger ones.
    02-08-08 12:07 AM
    Well this is kind of funny.... I thought that I was on wifi but my browser default was just internet browser.. I went to try and download a video after I changed it to wifi and just successfully downloaded a 18.7 MB video.... it was really quick too!
    02-08-08 10:56 AM
    Excellent that you got it to work! I expect it would be very fast on wifi. Well, I guess that really confirms that the size restriction comes from the BES/BIS.
    02-08-08 09:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD