OK, so I take my daughter to her swimming lesson. Great time to catch up on the pile of email in my 'in box' while I wait for a lane to open up for me to do a few laps myself.

I set the phone down, start my laps, when I notice that my phone is gone!

I panic!

I hope out of the pool and start searching high & low. I go (dripping wet) to the main desk & check if anyone thought it was abandoned and turned it in as 'lost and found'. No luck. After a few minutes of fruitless searching (and having given up my lane), I go back to the pool. Lo and behold, right there at the end of the lane that I was swimming in is my Curve, dripping wet!

I deduced that someone kicked it into the pool and, not wanting to suffer the wrath of the angry owner, let it just sink w/o telling anyone. One of the swimmers saw it on the bottom of the pool and pulled it out.

So, I spend two days, first flushing it with denatured alcohol (to remove any chlorine deposits) then drying it on a heating pad with a fan. Can you guess the outcome?

Today I put it all back together and try it out, except that it won't turn on. The red indicator light turns on for about three seconds, then off for about five, when I have the battery in.

Now, I'm the kind of guy who fixes things with duct-tape. If it works, hey, it works. If the camera was dead, but I could still get email and use it as a phone, I'd be ok with that.

The other part of the story... (of course) I didn't have insurance and (of course) I'm not yet eligible for an upgrade under my current AT&T contract (that happens in two months). So, for the moment at least, I'm stuck.

That's where you come in...

Am I, as the person on the other end of my AT&T chat window suggested, 'hosed' and there's no hope of reviving this phone? Or is there a chance that it can be repaired / restored for less than it would cost me to buy a replacement? Or do I buy the cheapest handset I can find for the two month interim until I can get a new 2-year contract and the discounts that that would give me on a new phone?

Thank you!

TGilk
    02-13-09 04:22 PM
    I would seriously suspect that your phone is as dead as yesterdays
    fried chicken. The water was bad enough but the chlorine was
    absolutely fatal.

AT&T will see the water damage, so warranty exchange is out.
    If you have insurance, you can replace it that way. If you don't
    I see another phone on the horizon.
    02-13-09 04:27 PM
    Just pick one up off craigslist. I grabbed an 8310 for $100 bucks a while back. Put an add up for WTB want to buy. You never know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 04:32 PM
    Try taking the battery out and putting the BB in a bag of rice for a day or two to get all the moisture out. Depending on when this happened you might be too late for this trick to work but it's worth a shot. I don't know about ATT but Verizon let's you upgrade 2 months before the contract is up, you might want to call them and see what they can do for you. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 04:32 PM
    My ATT contract is with their 'small business' group and I actually have the option to upgrade my contract after 13 of the 24 months. Wouldn't you know it, though, I'm only 11 months in.

Thx.
    02-13-09 04:41 PM
    Almost certainly hosed. However you should be able to find a POS replacement for two months for 50 dollars or less.
    02-13-09 04:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD